"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 05-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
Master Chef

With that dish, you should have entered the GCCSeasons challenge for this month. That would have been amazing apetizers for the summer theme. And you ictures make me want to figure out how to get where you are. Oh, if only it could be so. Great job on hors duvres. They sound great.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

What is gcc seasons??
Thanks again!
Florida is going to be Hott! Especially summer time... Humidity off the charts!
You can def make something like this!! Try it!
:-)

Old 05-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Our DC Golden Chef Challenge...our theme this Months is The Four Seasons...your interpretation of the seasons...We are having fun so far!

GCC - The 4 Seasons Challenge
Old 05-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik.f.Dowell View Post
What is gcc seasons??
Thanks again!
Florida is going to be Hott! Especially summer time... Humidity off the charts!
You can def make something like this!! Try it!
:-)
Here on D.C., we've developed our own food challenge contest called Golden Chef Challenge (GCC). Each month, we pick a theme for our challenges.
Typically, we make an appetizer, a main course with sides, a desert, and a beverage. Each component has to use the theme. The themes we have so far tackled are as follows: Oats, Chocolate, Convenience store foods, and this month's theme is "Seasons" . Each part must incorporate one of the four seasons, spring, summer, fall, and winter, so that your food represents the four seasons. Picture of the food are take and place with each section, i.e. main course, appetizer, etc. The recipe you used must be included, along with an honest critique, either by yourself, or by a spouse or freind.

The judging is done by volunteers who rate the meal on several criteria. If you go to the general forums pull down menu, and select cooking contests, you will see a post for Golden Chef Challenge, that gives all the rules and judging criteria.

If you look through past challenges, it will quickly become apparent that we aren't really competing against each other, but using the competition to inspire ourselves to try things wildly different than what we are used to making. It challenges us to be creative, and leave our comfort zones. Most of all, it's a lot of fun. There is time to enter this month's contest. And as we say, the more the merrier. If you are interested, jump into the pool with the rest of us crazy people. Make a splash.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Wow! I love it! Cool! I will def. Check this out :-) thanks for the heads up!

Tags
apples, brandy, pears, pork, recipe

Pork Tenderloin Hors d'oeuvres [B]Pork Tenderloin Hor d’ ourve’s with sugar coated grapes.[/B] First of all, lets see… A couple of things I should have done that I didn’t do and why. 1.) Trussing the tenderloin- Stuffed or unstuffed tenderloins should always be trussed to help form it evenly so that during the cooking process…it will cook evenly. I did not have any string, and I did this last min. and the store where I shopped at didnt have string, so I just didnt do it. One time I used fishing line (not used prior in fishing trips mind you!) and that became a huge hassel… no good. 2.) I didnt use the cleanest knife cuts for the fruit and could have gone a little smaller, and def. could have been a little cleaner (evenly shaped, dice, etc.) 3.) You should cut tenderloins on the Bias… as in angle cuts to make bigger pieces..however, I didn’t want big pieces because this was not going to be dinner entree…but finger food..so, I just sliced it. With that said….. I came up with a very tasty, eye-appealing hor d’ourve that can be served cold and/or hot. We have a Pork Tenderloin, marinated over night in pears, apples, apricot brandy, sweet cabernet wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar and spices.. (s & p) I seared it off, and put it in the oven 375-400 degs and checked it periodically to test temperature and flip the tenderloins in the liquid, and coating them over. This took less than an hour. Then, I let them rest for about 15 mins. ( this will keep the meat moist, due to high heat, if you immediately cut the meat, the juice would fall out on the cutting board..this way when it rests, the meat cools slightly and the juices inside stay intact in the meat and it will become juicier. The meat doesnt ‘cool’ but, rather isnt in shock and firm from the high heat temperatures and can ‘relax’.) Slice the meat. Then I take some bread previously toasted and place each piece of meat on top. Then I took some hot-pepper spread and dalloped a very minimal amount on each piece. Then I added the marinated and roasted fruits on top of each, along with chopped parsley, some spicy-mustard and a sprig of fresh dill. Walla! The meat was rather sweet from the fruit and the the topping of chopped fruit set it off the charts! the spicy mustard and hot pepper spread gave it a kick…some heat with the sweet, and the dill also set off the flavor in the spicy mustard to give it some …’twang’. This was easy to do…I did this rather last min. and had to rush through it to a certain extent. I did this for a lunch party in an office and had to travel 30 mins or so in my car to get there, so it traveled in the back of my car well and didnt spill.. which is good to keep in mind. Everyone in the office seemed to enjoy it a lot! The sugar coated grapes, were really a cool decoration to add to it, for a little eye-popping ohhhhhhh… so simple… Separate some egg yolk and egg whites. Take your egg whites and coat the grapes with it, sprinkle on the sugar, and fridge it for atleast half an hour. They look good and taste good! SUGAR BOOST! Hit me up with questions/concerns/comments/critiques etc 3 stars 1 reviews