"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 05-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pork Tenderloin Hors d'oeuvres

Pork Tenderloin Hor d’ ourve’s with sugar coated grapes.
First of all, lets see… A couple of things I should have done that I didn’t do and why.

1.) Trussing the tenderloin- Stuffed or unstuffed tenderloins should always be trussed to help form it evenly so that during the cooking process…it will cook evenly. I did not have any string, and I did this last min. and the store where I shopped at didnt have string, so I just didnt do it. One time I used fishing line (not used prior in fishing trips mind you!) and that became a huge hassel… no good.
2.) I didnt use the cleanest knife cuts for the fruit and could have gone a little smaller, and def. could have been a little cleaner (evenly shaped, dice, etc.)
3.) You should cut tenderloins on the Bias… as in angle cuts to make bigger pieces..however, I didn’t want big pieces because this was not going to be dinner entree…but finger food..so, I just sliced it.
With that said….. I came up with a very tasty, eye-appealing hor d’ourve that can be served cold and/or hot.

We have a Pork Tenderloin, marinated over night in pears, apples, apricot brandy, sweet cabernet wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar and spices.. (s & p) I seared it off, and put it in the oven 375-400 degs and checked it periodically to test temperature and flip the tenderloins in the liquid, and coating them over. This took less than an hour. Then, I let them rest for about 15 mins. ( this will keep the meat moist, due to high heat, if you immediately cut the meat, the juice would fall out on the cutting board..this way when it rests, the meat cools slightly and the juices inside stay intact in the meat and it will become juicier. The meat doesnt ‘cool’ but, rather isnt in shock and firm from the high heat temperatures and can ‘relax’.) Slice the meat. Then I take some bread previously toasted and place each piece of meat on top. Then I took some hot-pepper spread and dalloped a very minimal amount on each piece. Then I added the marinated and roasted fruits on top of each, along with chopped parsley, some spicy-mustard and a sprig of fresh dill. Walla! The meat was rather sweet from the fruit and the the topping of chopped fruit set it off the charts! the spicy mustard and hot pepper spread gave it a kick…some heat with the sweet, and the dill also set off the flavor in the spicy mustard to give it some …’twang’.

This was easy to do…I did this rather last min. and had to rush through it to a certain extent. I did this for a lunch party in an office and had to travel 30 mins or so in my car to get there, so it traveled in the back of my car well and didnt spill.. which is good to keep in mind. Everyone in the office seemed to enjoy it a lot!

The sugar coated grapes, were really a cool decoration to add to it, for a little eye-popping ohhhhhhh… so simple… Separate some egg yolk and egg whites. Take your egg whites and coat the grapes with it, sprinkle on the sugar, and fridge it for atleast half an hour. They look good and taste good! SUGAR BOOST!

Hit me up with questions/concerns/comments/critiques etc

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	close up- Pork tenderloin- apples,pears,apricot brandy, dill, spicy mustard, hot spread, spicy m.jpg
Views:	1184
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	10837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grapes, sugar coated..jpg
Views:	200
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	10838  

Name:	Hor d'oeuvres 2.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	10839   Click image for larger version

Name:	sugar crystalled grapes.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	10840  

Name:	Pork Tenderloin marinating in apricot brandy and fruit.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	10841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Searing.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	10842  

Name:	Marinate and roast.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	10843   Click image for larger version

Name:	slicing 2.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	10844  

Old 05-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

It looks lovely (and mouthwatering). Probably more work than I would do--I'd probably serve the pork as a main course. But very nice. Wow. Thanks for sharing. I've put your post in my "inspiration" file. And I agree, sugar-coated grapes and fresh herbs can really be impressive (and easy to do).

Old 05-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I'm flattered you would consider this inspiration!!! Thank you! If I was serving a dinner, I probably would have this as an app. But in the case where you would maybe cater a party.. And it was just a bunch of finger foods, this came out well.. cuz it was desirable with the pork and a lot of times finger foods won't include a protein.. It might sound like a lot of work, but it's really not too bad in the end! :-)
Old 05-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Erik, I expect that you are close to the end of term--good luck!!! What you've posted to DC has given us a hint of your innovation and creativity. I hope those grading your work appreciate that. If I were your instructor, I would. You've got talent, don't stop now--go for it.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
Master Chef

That looks great!

I picture you on some POSH cruise ship surrounded by a lavish buffet
Old 05-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Ah! Thanks guys! Yes my semester has just ended!! I appreciate it a lot! I have been going to a small community college and am now transferring to the international culinary school at the art institute of fort Lauderdale Florida.. And I start July 11th!! It's been a lot of effort to apply, get accepted, financial aid, advisors, moving, packing up ... I leave my home in 19 days!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow, Erik, congrats! Don't forget about DC and to keep letting us come to class with you. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Aww I won't forget!! Social media is so intense and addicting.. I like to share with people and check other peoples work as well.. I am checking this from my phone right now actually! ... I get to post easier this way...but its hard browsing through everyone elses stuff on it tho. But, it's nice because I can take a picture on my phone and easily upload them online and post them up here.. or even directly..
Old 05-14-2011, 01:24 AM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That looks good enough to eat! I'm very excited and proud you are heading for further education. That is the best news! Keep it up and let us know how you are doing, and we are always around when stuck for an idea or maybe a taste test????
Old 05-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Looks great Eric!!! And Congratulations too!! Maryland for Florida, well at least you are used to heat and humidity!!!

Tags
apples, brandy, pears, pork, recipe

Pork Tenderloin Hors d'oeuvres [B]Pork Tenderloin Hor d’ ourve’s with sugar coated grapes.[/B] First of all, lets see… A couple of things I should have done that I didn’t do and why. 1.) Trussing the tenderloin- Stuffed or unstuffed tenderloins should always be trussed to help form it evenly so that during the cooking process…it will cook evenly. I did not have any string, and I did this last min. and the store where I shopped at didnt have string, so I just didnt do it. One time I used fishing line (not used prior in fishing trips mind you!) and that became a huge hassel… no good. 2.) I didnt use the cleanest knife cuts for the fruit and could have gone a little smaller, and def. could have been a little cleaner (evenly shaped, dice, etc.) 3.) You should cut tenderloins on the Bias… as in angle cuts to make bigger pieces..however, I didn’t want big pieces because this was not going to be dinner entree…but finger food..so, I just sliced it. With that said….. I came up with a very tasty, eye-appealing hor d’ourve that can be served cold and/or hot. We have a Pork Tenderloin, marinated over night in pears, apples, apricot brandy, sweet cabernet wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar and spices.. (s & p) I seared it off, and put it in the oven 375-400 degs and checked it periodically to test temperature and flip the tenderloins in the liquid, and coating them over. This took less than an hour. Then, I let them rest for about 15 mins. ( this will keep the meat moist, due to high heat, if you immediately cut the meat, the juice would fall out on the cutting board..this way when it rests, the meat cools slightly and the juices inside stay intact in the meat and it will become juicier. The meat doesnt ‘cool’ but, rather isnt in shock and firm from the high heat temperatures and can ‘relax’.) Slice the meat. Then I take some bread previously toasted and place each piece of meat on top. Then I took some hot-pepper spread and dalloped a very minimal amount on each piece. Then I added the marinated and roasted fruits on top of each, along with chopped parsley, some spicy-mustard and a sprig of fresh dill. Walla! The meat was rather sweet from the fruit and the the topping of chopped fruit set it off the charts! the spicy mustard and hot pepper spread gave it a kick…some heat with the sweet, and the dill also set off the flavor in the spicy mustard to give it some …’twang’. This was easy to do…I did this rather last min. and had to rush through it to a certain extent. I did this for a lunch party in an office and had to travel 30 mins or so in my car to get there, so it traveled in the back of my car well and didnt spill.. which is good to keep in mind. Everyone in the office seemed to enjoy it a lot! The sugar coated grapes, were really a cool decoration to add to it, for a little eye-popping ohhhhhhh… so simple… Separate some egg yolk and egg whites. Take your egg whites and coat the grapes with it, sprinkle on the sugar, and fridge it for atleast half an hour. They look good and taste good! SUGAR BOOST! Hit me up with questions/concerns/comments/critiques etc 3 stars 1 reviews