Pork Tenderloin Pulled Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coballs

Assistant Cook
I need a recipe for a crock pot pork tenderloin pulled pork. Anything creative and out there will be appreciated.

Are you sure you want a recipe for pork tenderloin? Usually pulled pork is made from lesser cuts of meat. I have made it with pork LOIN, but never tenderloin. I can give you my recipe as it is really easy. Rub meat with salt and pepper, put in crock pot, cover with one beer (doesn't matter what kind) put lid on and let cook on low for 6 - 7 hours. Take the meat out, pull apart with two forks, mix with some BBQ sauce (homemade or prepared), keep warm and serve with buns and more sauce.

I would consider the more expensive tenderloin to be the lesser cut of meat when you are making pulled pork. It doesn't have much fat or connective tissue, which melts/dissolves in the low and slow cooking process and leaves nice, small gaps in the finished process, making it tender. Pork tenderloin would have enormously long, stringy bits of meat and I doubt they would pull apart very well. It would probably be very dry as well.

TL, I think in a way we are saying the same thing. My meaning of "lesser cut" is more fat, just as you mentioned. I really wouldn't want to try pulled pork out of tenderloin for the exact description you gave! :)

TL, I think in a way we are saying the same thing. My meaning of "lesser cut" is more fat, just as you mentioned. I really wouldn't want to try pulled pork out of tenderloin for the exact description you gave! :)
Oh yeah, we are saying the same thing. I was just having fun with the fact that sometimes the most expensive cut of meat isn't the best for the purpose.

A crockpot will ruin an expensive pork tenderloin.

And will make for very dry pulled pork since the tenderloin is so lean.

Try using a shoulder instead

I think to use pork tenderloin for pulled pork would ruin the pork. Instead of being meltingly tender it would become stringy and dry.

I think as a general rule expensive lean cuts tend to be best when cooked quickly, like fillet steak as opposed to chuck steak. The longer cooking suits the tougher more fatty and gristly cuts.

Oh yeah, we are saying the same thing. I was just having fun with the fact that sometimes the most expensive cut of meat isn't the best for the purpose.
Ironic, isn't it! Sort of like a Phd getting a job as gardener and killing all the plants! :LOL:

In general, lean cuts such as the tenderloins or loins of pork or beef have no place in a stew pot/slow cooker. These are oven roasts/steaks that should be cooked quickly over high heat for best results.

Stew pot/slow cooker recipes are better served with less expensive cuts from the shoulder (Boston butt or chuck) and rump (such as the ham or round). When I do low and slow recipes I just about always go with beef chuck or Boston butt.

Certainly there are other cuts that work well. I don't suggest those are the only good choices. Shanks are another good example of a cut that works well low and slow.

You can still make a good sandwich with pork tenderloin; it just won't be pulled pork. Just grill it and slice into rounds.

Something like this, for example.
Barbecued Pork Sandwiches with Pickled Red Onion Recipe at Epicurious.com

Another option is to slice into rounds and use the same technique used to make chicken-fried steak.
I always make DH sandwiches with leftover tenderloin. In fact I will often do two at once just to have meat that I can slice, put in individual packages, freeze and pull out for sandwiches.

I have sliced them lengthways and pounded them out very flat. You get about 4 rectangular portions, depending on the size of the tenderloin. They are so tender its ok to cut them with the grain. Especially after pounding. I have no problem biting into them. Then I quick grill with lots of sauce...

They go on sale around here a lot. You can pick one up for 3 or 4 bucks when they do.

Last edited:
I have sliced them lengthways and pounded them out very flat. You get about 4 rectangular portions, depending on the size of the tenderloin. They are so tender its ok to cut them with the grain. Especially after pounding. I have no problem biting into them. Then I quick grill with lots of sauce...

They go on sale around here a lot. You can pick one up for 3 or 4 bucks when they do.
Wow, that sounds like a great way to cook them.

Back
Top Bottom