"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 01-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Well you got me there Alexa! How should I cook my "loin" then? Should I have marinaded it last night cause it's sitting in the fridge ready for me to cook it up tonight.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:21 PM   #12
Cook

I think the Apple Mustard recipe that was previously posted sounds good.

When I have a loin roast (I usually have the butcher cute the entire loin into 3 roasts for the freezer) I will make a paste of garlic, EVO, parsley, rosemary and slather that on the outside. Alternatively, you can slather it with mustard and stick the herbs to the mustard,

Roast for about 60 - 75 min (at 350) or until it reaches about 145 internal temp on an instant read thermometer. When you pull it out of the oven, let it rest for 10 - 20 min and the internal temp will rise to about 155-160.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Alexa

Old 01-08-2006, 11:17 PM   #13
Executive Chef

This is what I ended up doing. I did a research through my Cooking Club mags and found a recipe with cranberry chutney which I tweaked a bit. I sliced the loin in one inch steaks, cut slits in each steak to add chopped roasted garlic and thyme then sprinkled some onion powder, sage, salt and pepper and a drizzle of orange juice. Seared the steaks in a bit of butter. Removed the steaks from pan and added 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (although it asked for white wine) to pan, scraped pan drippings and added 1/2 can of cranberry sauce. Cooked for about 5 minutes and added the steaks back in the chutney to finish cooking until no longer pink. The chutney thickened after it cooled a bit then I poured it over the steaks. Sooooooo Yummy! I was rather impressed with my creation. I will have to try the apple mustard next time. I'm hooked on pork loin now.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:07 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Dina, don't you love it when these experiments turn out so successfully? Sounds like your improvisation worked like a beaut!
Old 01-11-2006, 09:07 AM   #15
Cook

Dina - your recipe sounds great!

Quite often I will have a portion of the loin cut into boneless shops and use any number of chop recipes to prepare them.

I honestly think pork loin is right up there with boneless skinless chicken breasts when it coems to versatility. There are countless ways to prepare them!

Alexa
Old 01-11-2006, 09:17 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Yes Mudbug! I was rather thrilled!

Thanks Alexa. I like anything with sweet sauces anyway. Especially anything with a citrus twist to it.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

stuffed pork tenderloin

This is the first time I am going to try this recipe. Not sure if I use the sweet or dry Marsala wine with it. I think the sweet would be ok but not sure. If anyone has tried this one please let me know
Stuffed Pork Tenderloin with Apple-Marsala Sauce
2 pork tenderloins (about 1 1/2 pounds total) Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste 1 cup finely chopped peeled Granny Smith apple 2 cloves garlic, finely minced 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1/2 teaspoon paprika 1/2 cup day-old bread crumbs (very fine) 1 large egg, beaten Apple-Marsala Sauce: 2 tablespoons butter 2 Granny Smith apples, peel, cored and chopped 2 tablespoons sugar 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1/4 cup Marsala wine
  1. Preheat oven to 350*F (175*C). Grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Set aside.
  2. Trim the excess fat and silver skin off the tenderloins. Cut 2-inches of meat off the small end of each tenderloin. Finely chopped these end pieces and set aside. Butterfly each tenderloin so they lay open, flat and even. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. In a bowl, mix together the chopped pork, apple, garlic, ginger, parsley, salt, pepper, paprika, bread crumbs and the beaten egg. Divide this mixture between the flattened tenderloins. Spread mixture evenly and roll tenderloins as for a jelly roll. Secure each with toothpicks.
  4. Place stuffed tenderloins in prepared baking dish and roast for 30 minutes or until the juices run clear. Do not over cook or the pork will become dry.
To prepare sauce:
  1. Melt the butter in a saute pan add the chopped apple, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar and cook for 2 minutes. Add the Marsala wine and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
  2. To serve, slice each pork tenderloin into 8 slices. Place 4 slices of the stuffed pork tenderloin onto 4 plates and top with the Apple-Marsala Sauce.
Serves 4.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl
...Not sure if I use the sweet or dry Marsala wine with it. I think the sweet would be ok but not sure...
I'd use dry Marsala because ther's already sugar as a sauce ingredient. If all you have is sweet Marsala, use it and cut back on the sugar. Taste as you go and add a little sugar at a time until you get the sweetness you want.

I think I'll try this recipe this weekend. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Good points--and the cut used here is even slightly different--a pork sirloin. I have done boned pork sirloin roasts butterflied, marinated and grilled. They are superb that way.
And I will also comment that the internal temp of 155* will be an overdone roast. Pork should be taken out at 145* and allowed to rest tented with foil for 20 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute for a moist piece of meat.
I have basically quit trying to dry roast a pork loin--it is just too lean these days. A really good braise at 300* with apples and onions is delicious.

Tags
None