Pork with Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
1 onion - sliced in ribbons
4 stalks celery - sliced
2 cups diced pork
1 pepper sliced in ribbons
1 cup chopped snow peas
1 cup rice
1.5 cups chicken broth
generous splash of soy sauce

In your wok, heat some oil and sauté the onion and celery. When the onion begins to soften, add some more oil and put the rice into the wok. Stir the mixture until rice is golden. Pour the broth over the rice mixture and cover for 20 minutes or until broth has been absorbed by the rice. Push the rice to the sides of the wok and put the pork in the center of the wok. Fry the pork lightly for a minute or so then stir into the rice mixture. Add the peppers and snow peas at this point and stir in. Cover again and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Check the pork for doneness and if its all good then pour in a splash of soy sauce and stir it in.

Notes: Originally Mom used green peppers in this, I prefer red to add some color. I also added in the snow peas to add the crunch factor. I think you can add whatever veggies you want. I've found this dish stores well in the fridge and makes great lunches. I haven't ever tried freezing it cuz it goes pretty quick. ;)

<<expected butt kiss>> :angel:
ok missy, just how is the celery supposed to be sliced? chopped snow peas?

i'd guess we're starting with raw, uncooked rice?

i'm cooking this in my mind as i'm writing this.

I can't help you on the celery, I imagine it's preference, BT, but with the amount of liquid added I figured the rice must be uncooked.

<<expected butt kiss>> :angel:
ok missy, just how is the celery supposed to be sliced? chopped snow peas?

i'd guess we're starting with raw, uncooked rice?

i'm cooking this in my mind as i'm writing this.

Oops. I've been busy and didn't get back to this. Sorry BT. Raw uncooked rice, toast it til its golden then pour the broth over. Ken hates celery cooked so I sometimes dice it pretty fine. If I'm doing it for me, I just slice it in about 1/4 inch slices. I chopped the snow peas because I like to have a little bit of everything in one mouthful. Whole snowpea means I can't get everything in at once! ;)

Love to hear what other add ins you might use.

thanks, alix. this sounds great!

copied and saved to my alix's recipes file along with all of those great chicken recipes you gave me, and "joe's coleslaw", and of course the entire lemon subcategory. :chef:

i think i might add some diced carrot, or water chestnuts, or maybe mushrooms in keeping with an asian theme.

I was actually thinking about the water chestnuts myself. I'm still trying to inspire the kids to eat mushrooms. *sigh* Took me til I was in my 20's so I guess I've got a ways to go yet!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom