Pork with White Beans in Guinness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wyshiepoo

Senior Cook
For Cooking Goddess.

From Readers Digest, Great British Dishes the Healthy Way.

Serves 6-8

300g dried white haricot beans.
2 tbsp olive oil.
400g lean pork.
175g smoked back bacon
Rosemary, 3 sprigs.
450ml Guinness.
400ml chicken or pork stock.
400g tinned tomatoes.
2 tsp brown sugar.
Salt and pepper.

Soak beans overnight.

Heat oven to 120C 250F
Cut pork into small cubes and fry in casserole in half the oil till light golden in colour. Remove pork temporarily.

Heat remaining oil in casserole add diced bacon and rosemary stir for a minute or two.

Add drained beans, Guinness, stock tomatoes and sugar then return pork to casserole and allow to bubble for a minute.

Cover and cook in oven for 4 to 5 hours till beans and pork are tender.

Recipe suggests serving with green beans and crusty bread.

I've added extra stock as I found it had dried out somewhat, it may be worth checking casserole when there is an hour left to cook and adjusting liquid to taste, original recipe suggested 330ml.

Calories 245.

Fat 6g of which saturated 2g.

Last edited:
Thanks, Wyshie! This looks similar to a Cassoulet recipe I've made a couple of times. I first made it with dried navy beans and it turned out fine. Then I actually found (and bought) the pricier flageolet beans that it called for. We didn't notice any difference. I think I'll use either navy or the small white beans I sometimes use for my Mom's ham and bean soup.

Thanks again. I should have this converted to U.S. measurements by the time our weather cools off. ;)

Yes, it has similarities to various 'peasant' meals.

From cassoulet, through Boston baked beans and even through to my own local dish, Beanjar.

Back
Top Bottom