"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 05-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
Head Chef

Heck.. maple with sausage. Our local gas station has sandwiches with sausage patties on a maple flavored biscuit for a breakfast sandwich. It's pretty tasty..

Old 05-29-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofat View Post
we call it pig candy--1lob of thick sliced bacon with a lb of brown sugar pressed on--then in a smoker until the bacon is done---a buck a piece when we vend it at festivals
just don't let it get overdone!
buzz
Buzz, How much is a lob of bacon and how long does it smoke or how do you know when it is done? Do you sell a full slice or a 1/2 slice for a buck?
It sounds divine but I am a novice at smoking. Help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Buzz, How much is a lob of bacon and how long does it smoke or how do you know when it is done? Do you sell a full slice or a 1/2 slice for a buck?
It sounds divine but I am a novice at smoking. Help is appreciated.

Thanks!
A lob is fat finger typing for lb(pound)--usually about 16-20 slices per/lb--rubbed heavily with brown sugar with some cayenne--cooked on racks in disposable pans(kinda messy)--sm0kers are usually running about 250° so takes about an hour or so--don't burn the product. Looking back at notes see that we usually buy the thick sliced bacon, mix brown sugar with cayenne--about 1t of pepper/ cup of sugar--that will do 1lb bacon--and it is a buck/slice--been suggested that chocolate should be drizzled on the bacon but haven"t tried that yet
hope that helps
Old 05-30-2009, 06:49 AM   #14
Master Chef

Wow. I thought everybody dipped their bacon/ham/sausage in maple syrup. I'm 53 years young and have been doing it since I was old enough to eat solid food.

And I've been adding maple syrup to my home made breakfast sausage for years.

I need to make another thread about maple syrup.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #15
Master Chef

i used to buy the maple cured bacon and maple flavored breakfast sausage but my family isn't that keen on it.

BUT i would love your recipe for homemade breakfast sausage. i usually buy the kind that isn't to spicey Lipari (sp) brand or there is another brand i can't remember the name. it is a mild sausage that agrees with my tummy.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Purrrr-fect

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofat View Post
A lob is fat finger typing for lb(pound)--usually about 16-20 slices per/lb--rubbed heavily with brown sugar with some cayenne--cooked on racks in disposable pans(kinda messy)--sm0kers are usually running about 250° so takes about an hour or so--don't burn the product. Looking back at notes see that we usually buy the thick sliced bacon, mix brown sugar with cayenne--about 1t of pepper/ cup of sugar--that will do 1lb bacon--and it is a buck/slice--been suggested that chocolate should be drizzled on the bacon but haven"t tried that yet
hope that helps
Just what I needed. Thanks for the help.

Tags
None