Pre-packaged marinated pork tenderloin.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Half Baked

Executive Chef
My Kroger had those marinated pork tenderloins on sale - 2 for the price of 1, so I picked up 2.

I cooked it for the 40 minutes that was suggested (I have an oven thermometer to make sure I have the correct temp) and it was still raw so I used my meat thermometer that you stick in and it beeps when the correct temp is reached. OK, it beeped at 160 which was the suggested temp on the package.

It still looked raw on the outside so I made a mental note to sear the tenderloin in the future, before I put it in the oven.

I cut it to serve and it looked so weird. There was a line of gristley stuff between what looked like, dark and light meat. It was still raw in the middle so I sliced it in 3/4" pieces and fried it in a skillet. Finally it seemed done.

It tastes fine but I've never experienced anything like this before.

Any ideas? I just checked my meat thermometer and it's accurate....is it ghosts? :ermm:

I do mine sometimes on the grill, med- high heat, 10 mins each on all four sides- yum ! or sear each side on high heat in pan and put in 400' oven for 10 mins. Then let rest 10 mins.

Last edited:
I always trim the silver skin (it's a membrane of some type on the outside)
tenderloins taper at one end so they do not cook evenly
I usually sear first , so that will help next time.)
Make sure meat is at room temp before going in the oven or searing it so it will cook evenly also.

If none of that helps, then it must be ghosts.

This doesn't have silverskin. It looks like a great piece of meat sitting in a vacu-sealed pac with marinade.

I don't know....it's going to end up as dog food because of the gristle and the consistency of the 'dark' meat isn't like a tenderloin.

Last edited:
I cooked one tonight. I did a dry rub with Tandoori seasoning and let it marinate for a couple of hours. Seared it on the stove top and finished it in the toaster oven at 400F. Cooked to an internal temp o 150F-155F.

I had to use the toaster oven because my oven wouldn't heat up.

Half Baked said:
This doesn't have silverskin. It looks like a great piece of meat sitting in a vacu-sealed pac with marinade.

I don't know....it's going to end up as dog food because of the gristle and the consistency of the 'dark' meat isn't like a tenderloin.

Ours at Kroger was not on sale so they must have shipped it all to you. I know exactly what you are talking about. I have looked at those many times watching the seeds & whatnot roll through the sauce from one end to the other. (Okay, I was waiting for the butcher to cut, grind or grade something and had to keep the kids entertained for a few minutes! LOL) The only reason that I can think of that it did not cook according to the instructions is because of the grissel. Of course we all know that tenderloin is another white lean meat!!! ((I have had turkey roast that looked just like that though dark meat rolled over saw dust & grissel....it just wants to make you scream))

Andy M.: You could not possibly have put a "DRY RUB" on one of these things unless you marinated it in Dawn Dissolver first. ((oops....sorry HB) :ROFLMAO:

HB: Did you buy the bacon wrapped fillets when they were on sale 10 for $10? Were they supposed to be marinated?

Half Baked said:

Miss Jan....

First return to the store, ask for store management. Complain!! Tell them you shop there often and spend a lot of money! They will either give you your money back or replace the product!

Second, I shy away from the "marinated" pork tenderloins for the exact reasons you state. Not always, but think about how they choose which ones get the marinated treatment. I assure you the "most beautiful" best quality ones are not first in line! I buy the plain ones. Remove silver skin (most have some). Sear/brown nicely in a very hot pan with a wee bit of oil. I use a cast iron pan so I can go straight into the oven at 350* to 400* Shoot for 145 to 150 and let it rest. Do not go "powder you nose" while it cooks.:ermm: Keep your thermometer in one hand and your pot holder in the other. Check often as it will cook quickly!

Enjoy!

I only tried them because of the sale....never again! Yes, I should return it to the store but believe it or not, I'm rather shy and rarely do things like that.

StirBlue - we didn't have those. I guess they delivered the creepy tenderloin to us, instead! Rats!

Half Baked said:
I only tried them because of the sale....never again! Yes, I should return it to the store but believe it or not, I'm rather shy and rarely do things like that.

StirBlue - we didn't have those. I guess they delivered the creepy tenderloin to us, instead! Rats!

Miss Jan...

March yourself to that store and don't be shy!!:boxing: You can do it!! :LOL:
Oh yes I meant to ask you. Were those tenderloin in the newspaper/store ad? Or was it an "instore" special?

You must have really bought a bad one, I would take it back too. I just bought three yesterday, (plain) . They were on sale for $2.79, usually they go here for $3.99 or more. We love them especially my son when I make it on the grill or make deep fried breaded fritters out of them for sandwiches. If wanted, I always marinate my own.

I've had the premarinated tenderloins before and know what you are talking about. I found that the more marinade in the package, the worse the meat. If you can see things floating around and they can move from one end of the package to the other, DON"T BUY! If the juices are minimal in the package then the meat will be okay. Just my observation.

Thank you. If I ever buy it again, I'll certainly remember that helpful hint.

Where the heck does that brown part come from? It has a consistency that I've never had from a piece of pork.

Uncle Bob said:
Miss Jan....

First return to the store, ask for store management. Complain!! Tell them you shop there often and spend a lot of money! They will either give you your money back or replace the product!

Second, I shy away from the "marinated" pork tenderloins for the exact reasons you state. Not always, but think about how they choose which ones get the marinated treatment. I assure you the "most beautiful" best quality ones are not first in line! I buy the plain ones.

I totally agree on both counts.

1. Take it back.

2. Be cafeful about buying any "pre-marinated" meats. It is often a way to get rid of poorer quality and meats that are "past their prime." Marinate yourself.

That was the first and last time. I've never bought marinated meat before and never will again. Gosh, I'm aggravated!

But life goes on....in fact, I don't give a flying fig about it right now because my water heater just broke and flooded the basement. I'm reading to keep me calm while I wait for the the repair men to come although I'm sure we'll need a new one .... then I have to call the carpet cleaners.

I need a rope to chew through so my teeth don't grind down to nothing. :mad:

Miss Jan...

The rope would taste worse than the pork tenderloin:yuk: Might I suggest 3 ounces of Kentucky Bourbon instead!! Pour in glass, add 1 ice cube and sip slowly while reading your book! In no time your water heater problems will seem far away!!:rolleyes:

I think that the marinade itself gives it a raw rubbery feel. I also prefer to buy plain.

Uncle Bob: The Service Desk is the gatekeeper for the store manager! He is never there! Although his picture is posted on the back wall of the service desk. The service desk clerks are pretty good about taking back spoiled food but a cooked tenderloin might raise some eye brows. It's sort of like finding a fly (or a finger!) in your soup (or chili) when your almost finished! The question is why did you eat the soup? The question in this case is why did you cook the tenderloin? In these cases, you most often have to cut your loses and move on. But share your experience like HB did so the rest of us will know.

I had my hot water heater replaced last year HB.....it took forever for the mess to dry out. (floor & walls too) Our guy left a leaky water valve open. I think he was anticipating a return service call which he did not get....I shut it off myself.....just turned the knob to off! Like I wanted to pay $75 for that!!!

Miss StirBlue..

Having spent 30 years in the retail food industry, I can assure you a Manager of some type is in the store. All it takes is a complaint and restitution will be made. The company I worked for policy was, "Solve the problem" and apologize for it! Period! In the highly competitive food industry, companies can ill afford not to address cutomer complaints and resolve them in a positive manner. The Kroger Company is an excellent example of a cutomer sensitive food merchant. Trust me!

Pork tenderloins make the best shish kebobs!!

DH works for Kroger and they will take back the nasty tenderloin, no questions asked and as Uncle Bob said they will apologize. You can't imagine how many things we've returned. I have tried the marinated tenderloin and the bacon filet things. They are both horrible and I don't think you did anything wrong in preparing it. We should post some of the really bad things we have purchased like these so that noone else wastes time and money on them.

I so agree with Uncle Bob, most big grocery stores will bend over backwards for you. Customer Service is a must to keep customers.

Back
Top Bottom