Prosciutto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of my favorites is arancini stuffed with a cube of mozzarella, and incorporating chopped prosciutto into the rice mixture. Veal (when I can find it) saltimbocca. Antipasto with marinated artichokes, roasted red peppers, mushrooms, fresh mozzarella & a baguette to go with. A cross between mozzarella caruso & monte cristo sandwiches. Similar to a ham and cheese sandwich, but dipped in egg batter & fried. Prosciutto wrapped around a slice of watermelon with a slice of fontina or mozzarella, & drizzled with balsamic. Avocado and/or melon wrapped in prosciutto. Bread sticks or asparagus wrapped in prosciutto. Add prosciutto to your pasta carbonara dish with peas and mushrooms, or top penne pasta with tomato/vodka sauce w/ prosciutto.

Also... Skewered/Kabobs
Tortellini (spinach, cheese-filled), cherry or grape tomatoes, shrimp, fresh mozzarella & balsamic vinaigrette.

Proscuitto di Parma or Serrano Ham Flamenquines

Also, a Spanish tapa which is made with Serrano Ham, the name hails from Flamenco ---

Flamenquines are Pork Cutlet Rolls wrapped with Proscuitto di Parma or Serrano Ham in the Mediterranean countries of Italy and Spain.

Here is recipe for 6:

2 tblsps minced fresh parsley
2 garlic cloves minced
Six boneless pork cutlets
6 slices of Proscuitto or Serrano Ham
2 large eggs lightly beaten
1 cup bread crumbs of choice
Olive oil

1) Mix garlic and parsely in a bowl
2) place the cutlet between 2 pieces of wax paper or plastic film and with a mallet, pound the pork cutlets to 1/4 inch thickness
3) cut each pork cutlet into 5 x 3 inch rectangles and top each with a slice of ham of choice
4) starting at short end, roll up each cutlet and secure with tooth picks
5) dip into egg mixture and sauté in olive oil until golden - 10 minutes to 11 minutes

Serve with a glass of Sangría or Beer and oven warm bread ...

*** a dip would go perfectly, either an ali oli with sun dried tomatoes if using Proscuitto di Parma or an ali oli by itself if using Serrano ham ...

Margi.

I have a hard time bringing myself to cook prosciutto. Seems like I am wrecking it. I love the texture of it, and once cooked, it loses lots of character and becomes a salty meat which you could more economically substitute something else. It is so expensive around here that when I do have it, I like to eat it au natural with a bit of crusty bread and maybe some cheese.

@ Rock Lobster: There are numerous grades

Firstly, there are uncountable grades or ranks of both Proscuitto di Parma and Serrano or Teruel or Huelva Hams ...

If you prefer, use another type of ham, smoked, sweet or boiled to do the wrapping ...

It is funny, you can buy ham that costs, 7 slices for 1 Euro ( $1.33 USD ) and u can purchase acorn fed ham air dried that cost 50 Euros a Kilo ...
It has an enormous range of types and grades, both the Proscuitto, which has several types too ( raw, cooked, smoked, air dried ) and the Jabugo and Serrano and Teruel hams in Spain ...

Curing and air dry : cost more

Have a nice evening.
Margi.

I have a hard time bringing myself to cook prosciutto. Seems like I am wrecking it. I love the texture of it, and once cooked, it loses lots of character and becomes a salty meat which you could more economically substitute something else. It is so expensive around here that when I do have it, I like to eat it au natural with a bit of crusty bread and maybe some cheese.

I know exactly what you mean.

One word: Costco.

Has anyone ever tried Prosciutto San Daniele? I prefer it to Parma, but wow is it expensive. If you have tried both, how do you compare them?

will somebody please fill me in on this costco chain. the mere mention of the name costco seems to get some people all excited. what makes costco so special? i just checked and found that i live more than an hour away from my nearest costco. to me that's a long trip to make unless costco has something very extraordinary to offer--that i can't find at wf or foods of all nations (both of which are less than two miles from my house).

You can find almost everything sold at Costco somewhere else (other than their own brand).

Costco is a warehouse store (similar to Sam's Club). Their own brand, Kirkland Signature, offers good quality products at lower prices. They have a good selection of lower priced meats. Beef is offered in choice and prime grades.

oh, thanks andy. there is a sam's club a couple of miles from me. i've never been inside because it's members only. i don't hear anyone singing sam's club's praises like i'm hearing about costco though. i have no use for bulk purchases but bargain priced and prime grade meats would deliver me to sam's club's doorstep in a heartbeat....

oh, thanks andy. there is a sam's club a couple of miles from me. i've never been inside because it's members only. i don't hear anyone singing sam's club's praises like i'm hearing about costco though. i have no use for bulk purchases but bargain priced and prime grade meats would deliver me to sam's club's doorstep in a heartbeat....

We've had Sam's Club memberships as well and they are also good. I don't think they do one day passes (you can ask). Alternatively, maybe a friend has a membership and they can give you a tour.

The cost of membership at Costco is paid back many times over during the year. Brand new books are usually half price. They sell everything, from Electronics the Clothing, Food to Over The Counter medicines. They also have a pharmacy, a tire center, bakery, eyeglasses...

Our nearest Costco is 3 and a half hours away. We get there once a year. They're building one that will be a 45 minute drive, and you can bet I'll get a membership! I posted a thread here recently asking about all the great stuff to be found at Costco, and got many great responses. Will try to dig it up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom