"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 02-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
One of my favorites is arancini stuffed with a cube of mozzarella, and incorporating chopped prosciutto into the rice mixture. Veal (when I can find it) saltimbocca. Antipasto with marinated artichokes, roasted red peppers, mushrooms, fresh mozzarella & a baguette to go with. A cross between mozzarella caruso & monte cristo sandwiches. Similar to a ham and cheese sandwich, but dipped in egg batter & fried. Prosciutto wrapped around a slice of watermelon with a slice of fontina or mozzarella, & drizzled with balsamic. Avocado and/or melon wrapped in prosciutto. Bread sticks or asparagus wrapped in prosciutto. Add prosciutto to your pasta carbonara dish with peas and mushrooms, or top penne pasta with tomato/vodka sauce w/ prosciutto.
Also... Skewered/Kabobs
Tortellini (spinach, cheese-filled), cherry or grape tomatoes, shrimp, fresh mozzarella & balsamic vinaigrette.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #22
Cook

I like it in place of the ham in chicken cordon bleu. It tasted better and is easier to work with.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Proscuitto di Parma or Serrano Ham Flamenquines

Also, a Spanish tapa which is made with Serrano Ham, the name hails from Flamenco ---

Flamenquines are Pork Cutlet Rolls wrapped with Proscuitto di Parma or Serrano Ham in the Mediterranean countries of Italy and Spain.

Here is recipe for 6:

2 tblsps minced fresh parsley
2 garlic cloves minced
Six boneless pork cutlets
6 slices of Proscuitto or Serrano Ham
2 large eggs lightly beaten
1 cup bread crumbs of choice
Olive oil

1) Mix garlic and parsely in a bowl
2) place the cutlet between 2 pieces of wax paper or plastic film and with a mallet, pound the pork cutlets to 1/4 inch thickness
3) cut each pork cutlet into 5 x 3 inch rectangles and top each with a slice of ham of choice
4) starting at short end, roll up each cutlet and secure with tooth picks
5) dip into egg mixture and sauté in olive oil until golden - 10 minutes to 11 minutes

Serve with a glass of Sangría or Beer and oven warm bread ...

*** a dip would go perfectly, either an ali oli with sun dried tomatoes if using Proscuitto di Parma or an ali oli by itself if using Serrano ham ...

Margi.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #24
Executive Chef

I have a hard time bringing myself to cook prosciutto. Seems like I am wrecking it. I love the texture of it, and once cooked, it loses lots of character and becomes a salty meat which you could more economically substitute something else. It is so expensive around here that when I do have it, I like to eat it au natural with a bit of crusty bread and maybe some cheese.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #25
Executive Chef

@ Rock Lobster: There are numerous grades

Firstly, there are uncountable grades or ranks of both Proscuitto di Parma and Serrano or Teruel or Huelva Hams ...

If you prefer, use another type of ham, smoked, sweet or boiled to do the wrapping ...

It is funny, you can buy ham that costs, 7 slices for 1 Euro ( $1.33 USD ) and u can purchase acorn fed ham air dried that cost 50 Euros a Kilo ...
It has an enormous range of types and grades, both the Proscuitto, which has several types too ( raw, cooked, smoked, air dried ) and the Jabugo and Serrano and Teruel hams in Spain ...

Curing and air dry : cost more

Have a nice evening.
Margi.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I have a hard time bringing myself to cook prosciutto. Seems like I am wrecking it. I love the texture of it, and once cooked, it loses lots of character and becomes a salty meat which you could more economically substitute something else. It is so expensive around here that when I do have it, I like to eat it au natural with a bit of crusty bread and maybe some cheese.
I know exactly what you mean.

One word: Costco.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady

I have such Costco envy. Some day, sigh.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Has anyone ever tried Prosciutto San Daniele? I prefer it to Parma, but wow is it expensive. If you have tried both, how do you compare them?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

You would get along with my girlfriends sister. She swears by that place. I need to get my butt there some day. Closest one is West End Ottawa(Kanata).
Old 02-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #30
Executive Chef

will somebody please fill me in on this costco chain. the mere mention of the name costco seems to get some people all excited. what makes costco so special? i just checked and found that i live more than an hour away from my nearest costco. to me that's a long trip to make unless costco has something very extraordinary to offer--that i can't find at wf or foods of all nations (both of which are less than two miles from my house).

Tags
None