Prosciutto question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks andy.

the stuff i had looked like a more processed nuss schinken.

i love all kinds of ham (from that magical animal), with cheeses and crackers and various mustards, and different fruits like mango, papaya, pears, melons, and apples.

Last edited:
Iron Chef, your response made me laugh. I guess it is sort of like Shrimp Scampi or Chai Tea or .... hmmm, there's a similar one I was thinking of the other night. It is hard to translate the words some times, so you wind up with some of these weird names for things. I was very puzzled on a visit to California a number of years ago to see Chai Tea. "Tea-Tea???" Oh, they mean a particular style of tea popular in a particular country. As far as I knew, chai just meant tea, and if I remember right, in several different languages. Italians I know laugh at "shrimp-shrimp" (shrimp scampi). Oh, the other one is coquilles St Jacques. Which in French is simply the word for scallops, whereas in the US it is a particular preparation for scallops.

It would be interesting to see if the Germans make an unsmoked ham similar in preparation to proscuito.

:) I actually used the German version in Texas last year it's Ok, milder and less salty, the reason I bought it was it was my only choice at the time. But I hafto say dont knock German meats they are masters as are the Italians.

I lived for years in a small town (20,000 people) and could find pre-packaged proscuitto at the standard chain supermarkets like Safeway and Fred Meyer (Kroger?). It was sold in the deli area.

Good Luck

Hmmm... I just finished a package of the German kind. It was mild and not salty. And it had quite a bit of white fat on the ends. I haven't looked too hard for authentic Italian, does anyone know if Trader Joe's carries it?

I haven't looked too hard for authentic Italian, does anyone know if Trader Joe's carries it?[/quote]

Perhaps. I'll check with our daughter. She shops at Trader Joe's all the time. She's in Los Angeles. You don't say where in the U.S. you are. There might be regional differences though. I'll let you know.

Claire said:
Italians I know laugh at "shrimp-shrimp" (shrimp scampi).
yeah, but whats even worse is when you see "Chicken Scampi" on the menu!! (which by the way has no shrimp!!) Italians get quite upset when they see these things... "Chicken Scampi - This will be your family's favorite. Chicken tenderloins baked in our scampi sauce in only ten minutes."

and to complicate things even further... "scampi" is a different animal than a shrimp as it has long slender claws and are much larger than shrimp, resembling long, slender small lobsters...
(Pic of scampi - http://www.demarisco.com/images/cigalas5.jpg)

the true italian word for "shrimp" is "gamberi"

Last edited:
RDG said:
I don'know them so well, but in the northern part of Italy, near Germany and Austria, we have excellent smoked hams, no , please, smoked "prosciutti", called "speck", and we know very well excellent smoked pork fillets and chops.

I've had speck with gorgonzola pasta in a very good Italian restaurant here. It was smoked. Yum!

A question: I've heard the term 'Parma ham' used often in the past. Does this always mean prosciutto?

Yes, Parma ham is a prosciutto. The opposite is not nescesarily true.
The Parma ham name is protected by the EU so Parma ham is a prosciutto made from pigs raised according to specific rules and within the Parma region. I believe, though I'm not 100% sure about it, that the preparation and curing of the hams is also to take place in the Parma region. And ofcourse the curing and aging process is equally strictly regulated.
So basically prosciutto di parma is just a highly regulated ham so you're pretty sure to get a high quality end product.

"Prosciutto" is an italian word. Its translation in english, according to my dictionary, is "ham". With this name, we indicate the leg of a pig, variously prepared. It may be raw (prosciutto "crudo", raw ham) or cotto [prosciutto "cotto", cooked ham (and can be cooked in wine, in beer, slightly smoked, and so on... )] or smoked. But, with this name,we generally indicate ALL the preparations of the legs of pig, so, if you come in Italy, or read some italian recipes, under this name you must consider that the food is not perfectly defined: you need a specification more, to understand "what" prosciutto you are speaking about.
Parma is a town in central Italy, near Bologna, and is considered the nest of pig preparation in Italy (all this region, indeed). But, however,even if Parma ham is actually the most well known ham, there is another one, that I like more, produced in San Daniele in Friuli, a region at North of Venice, in North East of Italy. The "san Daniele Ham".

vyapti said:
I lived for years in a small town (20,000 people) and could find pre-packaged proscuitto at the standard chain supermarkets like Safeway and Fred Meyer (Kroger?). It was sold in the deli area.

Good Luck
I only recall seeing it at Kroger. It's in a vacuum pack near the deli counter and sells for five or six bucks for three or four ounces. Too rich for my blood.

It is worth seeking out Prosciutto di Parma vs. the imitations.

Whole Foods seems to have decreed that it will not be carried after existing stocks are gone- I read that that may be up to each managers choice but couldn't get a straight answer- when I ask at the deli [it is raw you know, I was told] at my local WF for Prosciutto di Parma, the young lady very authoritatively said" we carry the American Prosciutto not that foreign stuff. Oh darn, my bad, I must vote....

Hogs in the Parma restrictions are fed a certain way and follow some rigid rules in the whole process. [I gues the hogs only follow 'cause they have no choice. American output factory raised aren't the same. If our human diet can change our body odor, it seems reasonable that feed could change the taste of meat too.

Real Prosciutto di Parma is so smooth, the mouth feel alone is worth every penny not go further about the taste. The hand feel is velvety like a 45 day aged steak.

In most uses though, I'm not sure it matters. Does anyone uuh and aah about mostly unripe melon wrapped in Prosciutto at a party? I'd bet few.

Last edited:
For those who can't find prosciutto locally, like anything else these days it can be bought online. Obviously, you can't get a taste sample, so I'd advise small orders until you find a brand you like. One site I looked at had it pre-sliced and packaged at $20 for 12 ounces. :chef:

PS - Lots of information on this site http://www.prosciuttodiparma.com/eng/index.php

Last edited:
Time for me to stick in a good word for Spanish cured ham. You'd be daft not to at least try it Mark.

Snoop Puss - it's always a treat when we visit Spain to eat their varieties of ham. Love Italian - but the Spanish style is great, too. We visit Granada as often as we can - and one of the tapas bars there serves THE most wonderful smoked hams.

Back
Top Bottom