Prosciutto question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I'm confused........I can never find proshuito at my grocery stores. Well the other day I finally spotted some but it said it was German Proshuito..........I thought it was an Italian meat? Has anyone had the German version? Whats the difference taste wise?

SizzlininIN said:
I'm confused........I can never find proshuito at my grocery stores. Well the other day I finally spotted some but it said it was German Proshuito..........I thought it was an Italian meat? Has anyone had the German version? Whats the difference taste wise?

I have never heard of "German Prosciutto". Crudely translated, prosciutto means "ham" so I'm not sure why you would call it German Prosciutto. It could be that it's a ham from Germany made in the style of Prosciutto di Parma or something like that. Have you asked anyone in the deli or meat departments if they carry it? That would be the best place to start.

jennyema said:
German Prosciutto:

https://www.bavariasausage.com/shop/products.php?storecategory_id=29&storesubcategory_id=6&product_id=2620
Maybe susi or other of our german friends can explain the diff between italian and german
Jennyema,
I think you just gave me an answer to a question I had yesterday. We went to a birthday party at a favorite restaurant and as an appitizer they had melon wrapped in procuitto..The first bite I thought this is odd, it tasted a little sweeter and less salty then Italian procuitto, and it was easier to bite through not quite as stringy..Have you tried this other procuitto, the German type? It is really more ham like but very good, if I could find it I would get it to use now and them..
Anyway I wanted to thank you for the link as when I look at the picture this is exactly what the procuitto I had looked like..
thanks again
kadesma:)

Thanks Jen for clearing that up. And Kadesma for letting me know the general flavor and texture compared to the italian version.

Here, I've learned that what is called "prosciutto" is what we call "prosciutto crudo (raw)", and what you call "ham" is what we call "prosciutto cotto (cooked)". Both, they are the rear leg of a pork, and I think that every country specialized in this animals could have good prosciutti. Germany IS specialized, so it's effectively probable that their prosciutti could be very good. I don'know them so well, but in the northern part of Italy, near Germany and Austria, we have excellent smoked hams, no , please, smoked "prosciutti", called "speck", and we know very well excellent smoked pork fillets and chops. So, I'm not surprised. Are you sure this one is not slightly smoked?
I'd only like to say something about taste.
Here, there are different types: the sweetest is Parma prosciutto (to be sweet is considered a good thing) and, more tasty, but even more flavouring, is San Daniele Prosciutto. This is here the most expensive (30-40 €). In both of them, you can change the taste, according to the particular part you are eating. The sweetest are the part near the bone, the tastiest, at the outside.

Last edited:
i've had the german prosciutto, and it's ok, but no where near as good as italian, di san danielle or di parma.

the german one i had did resemble a pale ham, and the italian was darker, more streaked with white fat.

I still have yet to find a store that sells prosciutto in my area. I think I'll have to make a list of things I'm unable to find and go to the larger cities around here and see if I can find them:

SizzlininIN said:
I still have yet to find a store that sells prosciutto in my area. I think I'll have to make a list of things I'm unable to find and go to the larger cities around here and see if I can find them:

If Super Target is in your neck of the woods, they have it. At least the one we shop at here in MN has it.

The Slovenes have something they call prsut (my spelling may be off) that I loved even more than proscuito.

I live in a quite small town, and find that if I go to the customer service desk and request an item, they will try stocking it, at least for awhile. If it doesn't sell, you're out of luck (it'll be a one-time thing), but if other people buy it enough, the store will keep it in stock.

I'm lucky in that, although my town is small (3500), we have a large influx of tourist and part-year residents from Chicago, Twin Cities, Quad Cities, St Louis, etc, so even our little grocery store carries quite a selection, and they're very amenable to trying to stock new "exotic" ingredients.

Everyone has had proscuito wrapped around melon slices. A twist on this, invented by hubby, is to slice an avocado, sprinkle with olive oil and season with a garlic blend (I like Cavender's), then wrap in proscuito. Great appetizer.

Claire said:
...invented by hubby, is to slice an avocado, sprinkle with olive oil and season with a garlic blend (I like Cavender's), then wrap in proscuito. Great appetizer.
This sounds really good! Thank your husband for me!

:) Barbara

Hmmm... German proscuitto doesn't sound right. Are you shopping at Aldi??? Aldi (which is a German grocery) is notorious in the US for these kinds of things. It's probably an Italian knock-off that they peddle to unsuspecting Americans. (I'm American, btw. :) I used to buy this in the US all the time (if it's the one I'm thinking of... Grandessa) and it was always very tasty and definitely worth the money spent.

In general, the Germans don't TRY to make something they're not known for. They are so thoughtful of doing everything right that they'd never try to do an inferior imitation. I can't imagine Germans trying to do a proscuitto when it's so easy to get across the border and of excellent quality. I doubt that this proscuitto is any different than Italian proscuitto, but it may not be of superior quality.

velochic, i'm sure has a proper german name, but it is probably sold as german "prosciutto" here because of the popularity of the italian type, or possibly (but doubtfully) the way it is cured.
i've had a type, sold as german prosciutto, that was more like boiled ham cold cuts. a homogenous pale pink. good as ham, but nothing in looks or flavor to prosciutto di san daniele or di parma.

Back
Top Bottom