"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 08-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pulled pork?

I see recipes call for pork shoulder for pulled pork. What other cuts of pork can be used? Can I use pork loin-not tenderloin?

Old 08-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I'm no Chef, but I think you need the fat content in there. I've used shoulder or butt. And, I can get those two way cheaper than loin.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:14 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Yep you need the fat to keep the meat nice and juicy during the slow cooking process. Using a loin would result in a really dry product.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:20 PM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Boston butt(Shoulder) is THE best way to go. as mentioned, you really need the fat content in the cut to keep things moist.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
About the pulled pork, I put a boston butt in the crockpot, with a dry rub on it (your choice) and let it cook at least 8hr.s. It is so tender and flavorful ! Then just dicard the fat, shred or chop your meat, - with or without BBQ sauce it is great.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:33 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

i agree that leaner cuts of meat will not make for good pulled pork.

besides shoulder and rump cuts o' the piggie, about the only other part that can be used that has enough fat are the lower rib/belly sections.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

"Rump cuts" of the pig are the ham and they are not very good for pulled pork either. Belly is awfully expensive to use--at least where I am, and not very large. Definitely not the loin or tenderloin. Former is 'way too lean and latter is too small and too expensive.
Put it in the oven for 8 hours at 250* uncovered instead of the crockpot. You get wonderful char and melting meat.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:40 AM   #8
Head Chef

Here is how I do mine. Sam's club, in my area anyhow, has whole pork butts for a reasonable price--two large pieces, 20 pounds or so total.

Start this recipe the night before you plan to serve it.

I mix up a cup of brown sugar, a tablespoon of salt, 2 tablespoons of chili powder. Rub this all over the roasts. Feel free to add or subtract ingredients--sometimes I use packaged steak rub or sate seasoning instead of the chili powder, but IMHO, the sugar is a must. Add cayenne for some heat, if you like. (The crust on the roast will not be very sweet--most of the sugar caramelizes.)

Put both roasts on a rack in a big pan--line it with foil to make cleanup easier.

Preheat your oven to 400, put the roasts in and immediately turn the oven down to 200.

Wash the dishes, watch some TV, go to bed. Wake up in the morning to the most wonderful smell, but don't eat it yet. (Well, you can pull off a few shreds--no-one will know.)

An hour or so before you are ready to eat, take the roasts out and pull them apart with two forks. You will be cooking this roast for 16-20 hours, depending on whether you are making it for lunch or dinner.

I make two because it freezes very well, and works in lots of recipes--enchiladas, tacos, sandwiches.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #9
Senior Cook

The answer to your question is, yes, some other cuts can be made tender enough to pull.

Out here in the West we see a lot of the Mexican dish Carnitas. Thats pork that has been cooked low and slow- but usually in a liquid. We also see a lot of posole which is exactly like a chile con carne, but made with pork not beef, (then has an addition of posole/hominy).

In both cases the pork comes out really tender (if you do it right). The point being; if you cook it in a liquid you can simulate the low and slow of smoking a butt.

You can cook any cut you like in a crock pot- keep a lot of liquid in there- preferably something like a vinegar based bbq sauce-. Cook all night and you will wake up to a great smell, and you might have to have pork for breakfast.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
"Rump cuts" of the pig are the ham and they are not very good for pulled pork either. Belly is awfully expensive to use--at least where I am, and not very large. Definitely not the loin or tenderloin. Former is 'way too lean and latter is too small and too expensive.
Put it in the oven for 8 hours at 250* uncovered instead of the crockpot. You get wonderful char and melting meat.
the question was what else can be used. rump when cured is called ham, otherwise, it's still pork.
but i've had it, as hopz mentioned, cooked in a crock pot and made into pulled pork, and it worked out ok. not as good as shoulder, but tasty nonetheless.

an old friend used to have a 3 day, 2 or 3 animal spit roast every year on his birthday. i was in charge of picking up the dressed beasts and getting them on the mechanized spit on friday morning. then a few of us took shifts basting the carcass and adding/adjusting the coals as it cooked over a mix of hardwood lump and briquette charcoal.
we usually started with a lamb (and sometimes a small pig) on friday, and a fairly large 100 lb. plus pig on saturday. by sunday, there was a lot of leftover animal parts, so we often "pulled" or forked them to shreds, adding a sauce as we shredded. the most delicious by far was the leftover bellies and rib portions. so most cuts, except the very lean can be used if cooked properly.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None