"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I guess you're not familiar with carnitas or confit ... Fat = flavor, dude.
Quite familiar, but they are called what they are and true to the cooking method. Pulled pork uses a slow cooking method, using wood to add smoke flavor and heat.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Quite familiar, but they are called what they are and true to the cooking method. Pulled pork uses a slow cooking method, using wood to add smoke flavor and heat.
I know exactly what it is. I don't have the equipment to do it that way. With this slow cooking method, the result was tender pulled pork, delicious from the spices and vinegar, with smoky flavor from the smoked paprika. Why do want to spoil my enjoyment of it?

Old 08-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Ah, the names they will steal and apply to a dish that has nothing to do with the proper cooking method. To each their own. IMO, a slow cooker allows your butt to swim in a pool of fat. There was a reason the crock pot fad died in the '70s.
Yes it does wallow in a pool of grease but that's why God invented gravy separators and taught us how to easily de-grease sauces.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Pulled pork uses a slow cooking method, using wood to add smoke flavor and heat.
I would say pulled pork BBQ uses a slow cooking method with wood to add smoke, but pulled pork just defines how handled after cooking. One can also have chopped pork BBQ, tis cooked the same way but handled different at the end.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I trim any big pieces of fat then put the meat in my cooker and let it go all night. In the morning I add, cumin,garlic and onion powder, a small amount of either white wine or chicken broth not much mind you as there is liquid in the cooker from going all night. I never season at night I find that putting seasoning in in the morning works fine.You will get moist, easy to pull meat. I at times I add some brown sugar, tomato paste from the tube,Worcestershire. and Tabasco just decide what you want get some great rolls, make some coleslaw, and enjoy.
kades
Old 08-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Gravy Queen, you can also cook any hunk of meat in the CP in just barbeque sauce and onion. I've also used cola and salsa. Chicken slow cooked in salsa is nice.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
I made the tastiest pulled pork I've ever made myself a couple weeks ago. I used this spice rub mix from Cooks' Illustrated on a three-pound pork shoulder roast and have a little left:

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground white pepper

I used 1 tsp. cayenne and smoked paprika instead of regular paprika.
I'm not familiar with "hot pork butties." If it's different from what I've described, can you tell us what it is? Thanks.
hey garlic,i'll translate you call pork shoulder "butt" we call sandwiches(sammiches) "butties" so a hot pork sandwich is a hot pork "butty" over here.too many bl**dy butts me old mucker!!.
while i've got you gg your rub has a few more bits & pieces than mine.what's the benefit of brown & white sugar?.mine just has the brown,if it improves it i'm all for that.like you i use the smoked paprika for the bbq flavour!!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I reckon it don't matter what you call it, just be sure and call me when it's time to eat!
wise words oh sage of the dismal swamp(well,edge of anyway),wise words!!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, Harry. I don't have the answer re: the two types of sugar. The article on the Cooks' Illustrated site doesn't address that. I haven't tried it without the granulated sugar, so I can't compare. All I know is that I *loved* it and will be making it again this weekend with a larger roast, so I can freeze some for later.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Thanks, Harry. I don't have the answer re: the two types of sugar. The article on the Cooks' Illustrated site doesn't address that. I haven't tried it without the granulated sugar, so I can't compare. All I know is that I *loved* it and will be making it again this weekend with a larger roast, so I can freeze some for later.
i do brisket the same way but i leave out the paprika & put in a few drops of stubbs mesquite liquid smoke.seems to work better with the beef than paprika imo.
by the way gg,i think the word "butties" comes from bread & butter as in sandwiches

Tags
pork