"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 08-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #21
Certified Cake Maniac

Gravy Queen, I have an oh, so simple recipe for pulled pork. You put your pork into the crockpot, cover it with a can/bottle of beer (we used gluten-free sorghum beer) put the lid on and leave it for 8-10 hours on low. Take it out, pull the oh so soft meat apart, mix with some BBQ sauce and serve it with more sauce on the side!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Gravy Queen, I have an oh, so simple recipe for pulled pork. You put your pork into the crockpot, cover it with a can/bottle of beer (we used gluten-free sorghum beer) put the lid on and leave it for 8-10 hours on low. Take it out, pull the oh so soft meat apart, mix with some BBQ sauce and serve it with more sauce on the side!
there ya go gravy,quick,simple,tasty.....nice one LP,going to give that a go next time!!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I made the tastiest pulled pork I've ever made myself a couple weeks ago. I used this spice rub mix from Cooks' Illustrated on a three-pound pork shoulder roast and have a little left:

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground white pepper

I used 1 tsp. cayenne and smoked paprika instead of regular paprika.

I cut the roast into two pieces, to provide more surface area for the rub, then I massaged the mixture all over the roast and refrigerated it in a plastic bag overnight. In the morning, I took it out of the fridge to warm up a little, peeled and sliced a yellow onion to put in the bottom of the slow cooker, and put the roast in. Then I poured in a cup of apple cider vinegar, being careful not to wash the rub off the pork. I think the steam from the vinegar added a lot to the flavor.

Eight hours later, it was fall-apart tender when I went to turn it, so I put it in a bowl, let it cool down a bit, then removed the fat and pulled the pork. I poured the liquid (vinegar plus drippings and any rendered fat) into a cup measure and refrigerated it to make the fat congeal on top. My idea was to use the liquid to make a sauce, but it turned out, I didn't need it

We had it one day as a taco with homemade salsa and pickled onions, and another day as North Carolina pork barbecue with cole slaw. The meat had so much flavor, it barely needed anything more. So so good. I have a 7-pound roast in the fridge and will make it again this weekend. Hope this helps

I'm not familiar with "hot pork butties." If it's different from what I've described, can you tell us what it is? Thanks.

I am so tempted to try this first thank you so much . A hot pork butty is a hot pork sandwich. A butty is a sandwich but where I am from we don't really use the word sandwich.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Oh gosh this looks so simple I don't know what to try first!! I haven't got any gluten free beer, but I guess cider would work?
Old 08-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Any type of beer would work, GQ. Cider would work as well. Apple goes nicely with pork.

BTW, wasn't the Earl of Sandwich British?
Old 08-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #26
Executive Chef

he was last time i looked dawg!!,i think gq means liverpool,it's a slang word for a sandwich used in most parts of the country,"sarnie" is another one
Old 08-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Any type of beer would work, GQ. Cider would work as well. Apple goes nicely with pork.

If I remember correctly, GQ is gluten intolerant, so she would need the beer to be gluten free.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
he was last time i looked dawg!!,i think gq means liverpool,it's a slang word for a sandwich used in most parts of the country,"sarnie" is another one
It's not slang its a bona fide word, butty. I tend to think that it is used more in the north of the UK and sarnie (hate that word) is more southern.

Of course "sandwich" - is the "proper" term.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
If I remember correctly, GQ is gluten intolerant, so she would need the beer to be gluten free.
Oh, that's right.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post

I agree about the cider. I used apple-cider vinegar in addition to the rub. I think it really added to the flavor.

Tags
pork