Pulled Pork in Slow Cooker help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I must get my buttered bannocks out for you one day my dear, I am sure they would have you drooling.

I also like a large muffeletta when I get the chance.

And don't get me started on a delicious clafoutis although that takes us more into the area of batter.....
Ah Gritty the thought of your buttered bannocks eaten at room temp has brought a tear to my xxxx eye.
Have you ever tried Head Cheese?

GotGarlic said:
I made the tastiest pulled pork I've ever made myself a couple weeks ago. I used this spice rub mix from Cooks' Illustrated on a three-pound pork shoulder roast and have a little left:

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground white pepper

I used 1 tsp. cayenne and smoked paprika instead of regular paprika.

I cut the roast into two pieces, to provide more surface area for the rub, then I massaged the mixture all over the roast and refrigerated it in a plastic bag overnight. In the morning, I took it out of the fridge to warm up a little, peeled and sliced a yellow onion to put in the bottom of the slow cooker, and put the roast in. Then I poured in a cup of apple cider vinegar, being careful not to wash the rub off the pork. I think the steam from the vinegar added a lot to the flavor.

Eight hours later, it was fall-apart tender when I went to turn it, so I put it in a bowl, let it cool down a bit, then removed the fat and pulled the pork. I poured the liquid (vinegar plus drippings and any rendered fat) into a cup measure and refrigerated it to make the fat congeal on top. My idea was to use the liquid to make a sauce, but it turned out, I didn't need it :)

We had it one day as a taco with homemade salsa and pickled onions, and another day as North Carolina pork barbecue with cole slaw. The meat had so much flavor, it barely needed anything more. So so good. I have a 7-pound roast in the fridge and will make it again this weekend. Hope this helps :)

I'm not familiar with "hot pork butties." If it's different from what I've described, can you tell us what it is? Thanks.

Wow, that sounds wonderful! Love the blend of seasonings, and the vinegar idea. Will have to try this one for sure!

GG, this sounds amazing, will give this a go for sure :chef:

I made the tastiest pulled pork I've ever made myself a couple weeks ago. I used this spice rub mix from Cooks' Illustrated on a three-pound pork shoulder roast and have a little left:

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons table salt

I cut the roast into two pieces, to provide more surface area for the rub, then I massaged the mixture all over the roast and refrigerated it in a plastic bag overnight. In the morning, I took it out of the fridge to warm up a little, peeled and sliced a yellow onion to put in the bottom of the slow cooker, and put the roast in. Then I poured in a cup of apple cider vinegar, being careful not to wash the rub off the pork. I think the steam from the vinegar added a lot to the flavor.

Eight hours later, it was fall-apart tender when I went to turn it, so I put it in a bowl, let it cool down a bit, then removed the fat and pulled the pork. I poured the liquid (vinegar plus drippings and any rendered fat) into a cup measure and refrigerated it to make the fat congeal on top. My idea was to use the liquid to make a sauce, but it turned out, I didn't need it :)

We had it one day as a taco with homemade salsa and pickled onions, and another day as North Carolina pork barbecue with cole slaw. The meat had so much flavor, it barely needed anything more. So so good. I have a 7-pound roast in the fridge and will make it again this weekend. Hope this helps :)

I'm not familiar with "hot pork butties." If it's different from what I've described, can you tell us what it is? Thanks.

Ah yes, a nice butty. Chip butty is a good one, a meal in itself. A favourite breakfast butty is bacon or sausage (with brown sauce). And of course, a nice treat anytime is a hot pork butty.:yum:

We love chip buttys...they are the best thing ever!

I learned about chip butties from my Scottish ex-DH. He even had crisp (potato chips on this side of the pond) butties.

I like making them using nice crispy round rolls slathered in butter and then the crisps stuffed inside...perfect! :chef:

Bumping for Soma and Kylie - I used Got Garlics recipe - the spice mix was amazing and I left it on overnight . The pork was spot on , highly recommended .

This sounds wonderful and we are going to try it next weekend :)

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons table salt

What else does one do with pulled pork? It was great for nibbling. It was lovely in a sandwich, both with and without bbq sauce. It was kinda bland in tacos. Maybe I should heat it by frying next time - give it a bit of that Mayard effect.

What else does one do with pulled pork? It was great for nibbling. It was lovely in a sandwich, both with and without bbq sauce. It was kinda bland in tacos. Maybe I should heat it by frying next time - give it a bit of that Mayard effect.

Pulled pork in tacos, you want to use some taco seasoning and then add everything you would put in a taco or some vinegary cole slaw.

I would love it just on a plate with some salad or with some vegetables and gravy

Back
Top Bottom