Pulled Pork in Slow Cooker help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gravy Queen, I have an oh, so simple recipe for pulled pork. You put your pork into the crockpot, cover it with a can/bottle of beer (we used gluten-free sorghum beer) put the lid on and leave it for 8-10 hours on low. Take it out, pull the oh so soft meat apart, mix with some BBQ sauce and serve it with more sauce on the side! :chef:

Gravy Queen, I have an oh, so simple recipe for pulled pork. You put your pork into the crockpot, cover it with a can/bottle of beer (we used gluten-free sorghum beer) put the lid on and leave it for 8-10 hours on low. Take it out, pull the oh so soft meat apart, mix with some BBQ sauce and serve it with more sauce on the side! :chef:
there ya go gravy,quick,simple,tasty.....nice one LP,going to give that a go next time:yum:!!

I made the tastiest pulled pork I've ever made myself a couple weeks ago. I used this spice rub mix from Cooks' Illustrated on a three-pound pork shoulder roast and have a little left:

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground white pepper

I used 1 tsp. cayenne and smoked paprika instead of regular paprika.

I cut the roast into two pieces, to provide more surface area for the rub, then I massaged the mixture all over the roast and refrigerated it in a plastic bag overnight. In the morning, I took it out of the fridge to warm up a little, peeled and sliced a yellow onion to put in the bottom of the slow cooker, and put the roast in. Then I poured in a cup of apple cider vinegar, being careful not to wash the rub off the pork. I think the steam from the vinegar added a lot to the flavor.

Eight hours later, it was fall-apart tender when I went to turn it, so I put it in a bowl, let it cool down a bit, then removed the fat and pulled the pork. I poured the liquid (vinegar plus drippings and any rendered fat) into a cup measure and refrigerated it to make the fat congeal on top. My idea was to use the liquid to make a sauce, but it turned out, I didn't need it :)

We had it one day as a taco with homemade salsa and pickled onions, and another day as North Carolina pork barbecue with cole slaw. The meat had so much flavor, it barely needed anything more. So so good. I have a 7-pound roast in the fridge and will make it again this weekend. Hope this helps :)

I'm not familiar with "hot pork butties." If it's different from what I've described, can you tell us what it is? Thanks.

I am so tempted to try this first thank you so much . A hot pork butty is a hot pork sandwich. A butty is a sandwich but where I am from we don't really use the word sandwich. :)

Oh gosh this looks so simple I don't know what to try first!! I haven't got any gluten free beer, but I guess cider would work?

Any type of beer would work, GQ. Cider would work as well. Apple goes nicely with pork.

BTW, wasn't the Earl of Sandwich British?

Last edited:
he was last time i looked dawg!!,i think gq means liverpool,it's a slang word for a sandwich used in most parts of the country,"sarnie" is another one

he was last time i looked dawg!!,i think gq means liverpool,it's a slang word for a sandwich used in most parts of the country,"sarnie" is another one

It's not slang its a bona fide word, butty. :) I tend to think that it is used more in the north of the UK and sarnie (hate that word) is more southern.

Of course "sandwich" - is the "proper" term. :)

If I remember correctly, GQ is gluten intolerant, so she would need the beer to be gluten free.

Yes Taxi - you are correct, I have coeliac disease, I am special.:rolleyes::) I can't have most beers, it does have to be a gluten free beer, but most of the time I substitute beer with cider.

It's not slang its a bona fide word, butty. :) I tend to think that it is used more in the north of the UK and sarnie (hate that word) is more southern.

I love definition #3 from Urban Dictionary: Butty. And now I've had to look up a map, too, to remind myself what and who are where ;)

Ha ha ! Brilliant GG! Ah yes, a nice butty. Chip butty is a good one, a meal in itself. A favourite breakfast butty is bacon or sausage (with brown sauce). And of course, a nice treat anytime is a hot pork butty.:yum:

I would add that of course, I use gluten free bread or rolls.

Ha ha ! Brilliant GG! Ah yes, a nice butty. Chip butty is a good one, a meal in itself. A favourite breakfast butty is bacon or sausage (with brown sauce). And of course, a nice treat anytime is a hot pork butty.:yum:

I would add that of course, I use gluten free bread or rolls.
I learned about chip butties from my Scottish ex-DH. He even had crisp (potato chips on this side of the pond) butties.

Oh gosh this looks so simple I don't know what to try first!! I haven't got any gluten free beer, but I guess cider would work?

I don't know if beer bothers you (it does DH), so if it doesn't than any beer or ale will do. If it does bother you and you can't find gluten free, you could use cider or I have even seen root beer (though these would be more sweet.

Yes, it is simple and delicious. I have even used the same technique for beef and made a great au jus out of the liquid left over in the crock pot.

haha...love the term "butty" for a sandwich. :)

When I make pulled pork, I usually get the biggest pork shoulder I can find and slow cook it simply, just with salt and pepper and maybe a few drops of liquid smoke. Then foodsaver it into several smallish bags and freeze it - that way I can doctor it up when I take some out, either with cumin and chili powder if I want pulled pork tacos, or add some bbq sauce if I feel like pulled pork sammies.

I had a lovely pair of baps last night, I do prefer an good muffin though.

The best pork roll I had was in the center of Wolverhampton.

I don't know if beer bothers you (it does DH), so if it doesn't than any beer or ale will do. If it does bother you and you can't find gluten free, you could use cider or I have even seen root beer (though these would be more sweet.

Yes, it is simple and delicious. I have even used the same technique for beef and made a great au jus out of the liquid left over in the crock pot.

I can't have any beer unless its gluten free. With coeliac, an auto immune disease no less :) - you cannot have wheat, barley, oats or rye as these damage the lining of the stomach and can lead to long term more serious health problems. Its easy to control through diet though.

I had a lovely pair of baps last night, I do prefer an good muffin though.

The best pork roll I had was in the center of Wolverhampton.

I must get my buttered bannocks out for you one day my dear, I am sure they would have you drooling.

I also like a large muffeletta when I get the chance.

And don't get me started on a delicious clafoutis although that takes us more into the area of batter.....

Back
Top Bottom