"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 08-02-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
Head Chef

Pulled Pork in Slow Cooker help please

After all your fantastic help on my slow cooker thread, I'd like to try some pork in it at the weekend.

I love hot pork butties. And it has to be nice soft pork so the pulled pork sounds ideal.

Can you just run me through the slow cooker method then - no liquids? I usually use a shoulder of pork - it has a thick layer of fat on it - so obviously this wont crisp I know. Will it just sit in its own fat then?

Any seasonings/herbs I should add or just leave it to it?

Any advice on other cuts of pork to use would be welcome.

Thank you.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:39 AM   #2
Head Chef

Might try the caramelised onions too, sounds like they would go with pork.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
After all your fantastic help on my slow cooker thread, I'd like to try some pork in it at the weekend.

I love hot pork butties. And it has to be nice soft pork so the pulled pork sounds ideal.

Can you just run me through the slow cooker method then - no liquids? I usually use a shoulder of pork - it has a thick layer of fat on it - so obviously this wont crisp I know. Will it just sit in its own fat then?

Any seasonings/herbs I should add or just leave it to it?

Any advice on other cuts of pork to use would be welcome.

Thank you.
you are right about the fat queenie.it won't reach a temp where it will melt all of it or brown either.so either brown in a frying pan first or trim it off.as you so delicately mentioned my age in another post i opt for the "healthier" trimmed version(so important in other areas too!).shoulder of pork is perfectomondo costal anterio scorchio!.
seasoning/herbs is up to you.naked,salt n' pepper...whatever floats your boat really.as you know i like spicy so i either make up a rub with salt,pepper,soft brown sugar,smoked paprika(gives a bbq flavour),ground cumin,garlic powder(not salt),onion powder(not salt) & cayenne or just sack it & buy a pack of one of the nando's rubs from tesco for a quid.
do what tom said,put some thickly sliced onion in the pot,rubbed pork(ooh la la)on top of the onions,NO LIQUID,the pork/onions will make their own stock,lid on,LOW setting,leave it all day.....bish bash bosh....pulled pork!
depending on size of joint i would give a min of 6 hrs up to 10 hrs but you really can't overcook in a slow cooker.
because of the low wattage of a slow cooker MAKE SURE YOUR MEAT IS AT ROOM TEMP BEFORE IT GOES IN otherwise the first couple of hours does nothing except bring it up to temp.
exactly the same procedure with lamb,beef,ham or chicken etc only difference is what seasoning you use & cooking times
lets see the pics hunny bunnz!
Old 08-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #4
Executive Chef

you know what gravy,reading what i've just posted it occurred to me that if we'd heard of pulled anything back in the 60's/70's they'd still be making carry on films.....ooooh matron how i love you(read in a kenneth williams stylee)
Old 08-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I made the tastiest pulled pork I've ever made myself a couple weeks ago. I used this spice rub mix from Cooks' Illustrated on a three-pound pork shoulder roast and have a little left:

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground white pepper

I used 1 tsp. cayenne and smoked paprika instead of regular paprika.

I cut the roast into two pieces, to provide more surface area for the rub, then I massaged the mixture all over the roast and refrigerated it in a plastic bag overnight. In the morning, I took it out of the fridge to warm up a little, peeled and sliced a yellow onion to put in the bottom of the slow cooker, and put the roast in. Then I poured in a cup of apple cider vinegar, being careful not to wash the rub off the pork. I think the steam from the vinegar added a lot to the flavor.

Eight hours later, it was fall-apart tender when I went to turn it, so I put it in a bowl, let it cool down a bit, then removed the fat and pulled the pork. I poured the liquid (vinegar plus drippings and any rendered fat) into a cup measure and refrigerated it to make the fat congeal on top. My idea was to use the liquid to make a sauce, but it turned out, I didn't need it

We had it one day as a taco with homemade salsa and pickled onions, and another day as North Carolina pork barbecue with cole slaw. The meat had so much flavor, it barely needed anything more. So so good. I have a 7-pound roast in the fridge and will make it again this weekend. Hope this helps

I'm not familiar with "hot pork butties." If it's different from what I've described, can you tell us what it is? Thanks.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Ah, the names they will steal and apply to a dish that has nothing to do with the proper cooking method. To each their own. IMO, a slow cooker allows your butt to swim in a pool of fat. There was a reason the crock pot fad died in the '70s.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
Head Chef

Craig, first rule is don't yuck my yum. You don't like it--too bad for you, but please keep snark to yourself.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Ah, the names they will steal and apply to a dish that has nothing to do with the proper cooking method. To each their own. IMO, a slow cooker allows your butt to swim in a pool of fat. There was a reason the crock pot fad died in the '70s.
I guess you're not familiar with carnitas or confit ... Fat = flavor, dude.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Craig, first rule is don't yuck my yum. You don't like it--too bad for you, but please keep snark to yourself.
You're entitled to yours, I'm entitled to mine.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I reckon it don't matter what you call it, just be sure and call me when it's time to eat!

Tags
pork