"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 10-20-2005, 03:21 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

yankeefan...
let's just say I was dreaming about the smell of smoked foods for a couple of days afterwards.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:36 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
okay. I've seem pictures of AllenMI's pork butt on his grill and it looked soooo good. I wouldn't want bbq, I like meat with just seasoning or original tastes to them.
Awww....gee! You're going to make me blush!

In most BBQ restaurants, the sauce is a condiment, and is to be used sparingly. Someplaces may not even offer a sauce upfront, you have to ask for it. And, depending on what part of the country you're from, "BBQ Sauce" differs. Eastern North Carolina uses a vinegar-based sauce. Some areas of the country, the sauce is hot and spicy, in others, it's sweet. I prefer a sweet, tomato-based sauce, although I'm quickly becoming addicted to Cattlemen's Texas Gold sauce (currently only available to restaurants).

When I make my pulled pork, I do the typical Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwich, using cheap, nutritionally worthless white buns (white bread will work in a pinch). I squirt just a little sauce over the meat, slap the top bun on, and down a few. Cold beer optional

Old 10-21-2005, 06:55 AM   #13
Executive Chef

When I do pulled pork or Kahlua pig in the oven, I set the roast on a rack in a roasting pan, season w/salt, pepper, garlic, then put a little water in the bottom of the pan, and season the water with a few drops of liquid smoke. Then cover the whole thing with foil, put in a 300 degree oven, and cook for 4-5 hours, depending on how big it is. Then - if you want 'burnt ends' - uncover the pan, crank the heat to 450, and roast for another 15 minutes or so.

Let the roast cool a bit before you 'pull' it, and be sure to add back all the juices after you've pulled; otherwise the meat will be veeery dry!

PS - This is a totally basic way to do this - of course you could season with whatever rub you like instead of just plain salt/pepper.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:24 AM   #14
Head Chef

So just to clarify, if I use liquids the roast can either cook in the little bit of liquid at the bottom or you can put the liquid under the roast that is on a rack and let the liquid steam around the roast?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:43 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
I'm quickly becoming addicted to Cattlemen's Texas Gold sauce (currently only available to restaurants).
Allen, do you know if that is the same Cattlemen's gold sauce that the 99 restaurant chain (do you have the 99's by you?) uses for their Gold Fever Wings?

My wife is addicted to Gold Fever Wings and I tried to duplicate them at home, but couldn't. I called the 99's and through some deep digging (I was a bit deceitful to get the info ) was able to find out that all they use on those wings is Cattlemens Gold. I tried to find some way of buying it, but like you I found it is only available to restaurants. My local supermarket just started carrying 3 other varieties of Cattlemens, but not the gold :(

OK sorry that I got off topic. Back to discussing pulled pork
Old 10-21-2005, 11:24 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjcooking
I want to make some pulled pork, but I don't have a smoker or grill. I was thinking that the best way to cook it with maintaining the best flavor would be to cook it in the oven slow (like around 250) through the day. Is this the best way?
I have found I like to fix mine in the crockpot. It works for me.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:20 PM   #17
Executive Chef

GB, and they are possible mixing the cattlemen's with something. Cattlemens' markets it that way, a base sauce to mix with other ingredients to create your own special sauce. You can get it thru US Foods or Sysco, you may have to pay a little more tha a restaurant would. We got a gallon from US Foods to expirement with.

Just glad y'all didn't call it BBQ!
Old 10-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine
Just glad y'all didn't call it BBQ!
LOL I know better than that

No they do not mix it with anything. The manager I spoke with was very willing to tell me exactly how they made thier wings. He said all they use it cattlemans right from the bottle and nothing else.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:38 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Andy M... I sure hope that wasn't the same mop you used for the floor...??? :]

"If it's stupid, but it works, it isn't stupid."
DugDbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:23 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjcooking
So just to clarify, if I use liquids the roast can either cook in the little bit of liquid at the bottom or you can put the liquid under the roast that is on a rack and let the liquid steam around the roast?
Yepper - and I highly recommend using some type of rack, so you can get the 'crispies' from the bottom, too.

Just did a shoulder yesterday - a local store had whole shoulders on sale for $4 APIECE!! I got one that was 9 1/2 pounds!!!!

Tags
None