"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 10-20-2005, 10:58 AM   #1
Head Chef

Pulled Pork Question?

I want to make some pulled pork, but I don't have a smoker or grill. I was thinking that the best way to cook it with maintaining the best flavor would be to cook it in the oven slow (like around 250) through the day. Is this the best way?

Old 10-20-2005, 11:06 AM   #2
Executive Chef

a smoker uses dry low heat and smoke
in your oven I would use low moist heat ... I would use a covered pot (dutch oven) and some liquid (like a pot roast) so some broth with seasonings, liquid smoke, etc.
if you want it sweet, add some sliced apples , they will melt away but flavor the pork really well.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:07 AM   #3
Master Chef

ooh, that apple part sounds really good!!
Old 10-20-2005, 11:08 AM   #4
Head Chef

Thanks Robo410,
That's exactly the kind of advice/help I was looking for.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:12 AM   #5
Master Chef

Stupid question for you. What is pulled pork? I ahve seen so much stuff about it, especially by AllenMI and I have no idea what it is. I've never eaten it.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:25 AM   #6
Head Chef

It is a pork roast that is slowly cooked until on low until it usually fall's apart (shredded). Then usually people will but BBQ sauce on it and eat it as is, or put it on a hamburger bun for a pulled pork sandwich.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:27 AM   #7
Master Chef

okay. I've seem pictures of AllenMI's pork butt on his grill and it looked soooo good. I wouldn't want bbq, I like meat with just seasoning or original tastes to them.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:36 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjcooking
I want to make some pulled pork, but I don't have a smoker or grill. I was thinking that the best way to cook it with maintaining the best flavor would be to cook it in the oven slow (like around 250) through the day. Is this the best way?
I've done pulled pork in the oven using a dry rub and a mop during cooking. It was delicious! The main thing that's missing from the oven method is the smoke flavor. I tried smoking in my oven once and found I don;t have the venting necessary to do it.

You can use Liquid Smoke to add smoke flavor. It's worth doing in the oven.

Here's a recipe from Emeril that tastes very good.

Two tips: First, you have to cook the butt to around 205-210 F internal temperature, not the 160 F that the recipe calls for.

Second, don't make the BBQ sauce, use your own.

The dry rub and the mop sauce are good.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:16 PM   #9
Master Chef

Actually, Emeril's BBQ sauce is very good with pulled pork. It's the recipe I follow (sort of).
Old 10-20-2005, 03:02 PM   #10
Cook

[QUOTE=Andy M.]I tried smoking in my oven once and found I don;t have the venting necessary to do it.

Sssoooo, what led you to the conclusion that you don't have the necessary venting, there AndyM, hhhmmmm???

Well, here is my input for the pulled pork. I am currently in love w/ Alton Brown's no bbq bbq ribs, and I'm sure you can modify the recipe for pork shoulder, or butt.

Use a rub, or not, let sit w/ rub for 6-8 hours, or not. Wrap the butt or shoulder in HD tinfoil, where it is at least 4" larger than the meat. Fold it in such a way that you can unfold it on the side and add your liquid. Now, he suggests marguerita mix, and OJ. I have used OJ alone, or beer, or tea too. A large rack of ribs calls for 1C liquid. Pour it into the side of the foil that you have opened, refold so no liquid can escape, and then cook it for 1 hour on 350, then reduce heat to 250 & cook for 2 hours. Mind you, the actual cooking time may vary, but other foodies can help you gauge that. Once the meat is falling off the bone, or itself, take the juices and pour them into a sauce pan, and add (I don't do this part, so I don't know what he calls for, but whatever it is, it thickens the sauce and makes it like a bbq sauce). What I do do, is refrigerate the juices, whereby it makes a sort of demiglace, which I thin out for stock use in risotto, or use as a thickening agent in sauces.

You all really must try ribs this way. The recipe is in Alton Brown's, I'm just here for the food, cookbook.
Hope this can lend some insight.
B.

Tags
None