Pulled pork sandwiches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First off, Legend, you are now legendary. Congrats on a job well done. It feels great to give people something they truly enjoy.

We had our church pot-luck this last Sunday and I made a pulled pork that got rave reviews. It wasn't up to Nick's, or even my usual standards due to time constraints. But to everyone at the pot luck, well let's just say that it was devoured and I received numerous compliments. When you read what I did, you'll be tempted to call me a poser.:ROFLMAO:

Browned 2 - six pound bostom butts, bone-in, in a heavy cast-iron over medium high heat. Salted the meat while it was browning. Place on of the roasts in to my slow cooker, on top of a bed of sliced onion, and cut the other roast into large pieces to make it fit with the first roast. Talk about your overcrowding a pot. Cooked overnight on highest temperature. Got up in the morning, and pulled the meat from the slow cooker. Removed half of the juices from the pot (about 3 cups worth). Made a tomato based sauce of 12. oz. tomato sauce, 1/2 cup maple syrup, 1/2 cup white sugar, 3 tbs. dark molasses, 1/4 cup store brand barbecue sauce, and 2 tbs. chili powder. Added salt and onion powder to taste. Mixed all of this in with the remaining pork broth. Pulled the pork (didn't shred it), and placed it back into the slow cooker. Stirred it, covered it, and let it cook for another two hours until we were ready to head to church services. Now you have to understand that our services last for three hours. The slow cooker was going for that entire time as well, in a back room. Served it with whole wheat burger buns.

The best thing about this pulled pork was that there was a lady and her husband who drive (and this is no exageration) about a hundred miles from there home to come to Sunday services, one way. The wife pulled me aside after everything was done and thanked me for making the pulled pork. She stated that she loved pulled pork sandwiches, but could rarely have them because she is overly sensitive to spicy foods. She said that my pork had great flavor without being too hot and that she hadn't had pulled pork like that for years. Her husband, later told me about the same thing about her and thanked me for preparing the dish as well. You can't believe how good it makes you feel to make something that someone else really enjoys. I live in an area where spicy foods aren't the norm. And so I purposely avoided peppery flavors in the sauce, and yet made sure that it had lots of flavor. Everyone enjoyed the pulled pork. But that one person could have something she loved, that she could only rarely get, well that made everything else worthwhile.:D

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

i made pork chops tonight for dinner. i baked them with bbq sauce after browning them. they were very tender, but aside from the sauce , had no taste. what happened to the crispy fat taste we all know and love. i know pork is leaner these days but i think they have gone to far. i remember mom's crispy chops that were just wonderful. wish i could have them again.

Back
Top Bottom