Pulled Pork with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bake some potatoes then hollow them out reserving both the skins and the flesh.

make a mashed from the flesh, and quickly re-bake the skins until they're crispy and fill with your pulled pork.

pulled pork - not on a soggy bun, and mashed potatoes.

or kick it up and make colcannon with the mashed.

Next time you make pulled pork, rather than mixing it with bbq sauce, try it instead with Mexican salsa verde and rolled up in a flour tortilla, burrito style. No forks allowed. Sure it's messy, but that's part of the fun.

Must have missed it if anybody else mentioned but what about nachos? I saw a recipe just very recently on the yahoo feeds for pulled pork nachos and thought that might be something to try since we have so much pulled pork from Craig's last Q session. They made a cheese sauce with regular American cheese and/or something like Velveeta, then just like regular nachos otherwise.

I usually eat it without the bun too, just drizzle a little BBQ sauce on it. However, if I want bread, I'll toast plain white bread on both sides lightly, which solves the soggy bread problem unless you just drown it in sauce. That's something I learned from the BBQ joint my parents always went to.

We rarely have pulled pork on a bun. Why eat bread if it takes up the space the pork could fill? :pig: When we put it on a bun that usually means we have hit the end of the BBQ and have to stretch it for a meal.

Has anyone mentioned putting some of your puled pork into your pork liver hash? :yum:

Forgot to add, saw another use if Asian type flavors are used to make the pulled pork - DIM SUM! :pig:

it would also work in an chinese soup like yat gaw mein, or a korean hot pot.

or rolling it in lettuce or shiso leaves with korean bean paste and shredded scallions.

Last edited:
it would also work in an chinese soup like yat gaw mein, or a korean hot pot.

or rolling it in lettuce or shiso leaves with korean bean paste and shredded scallions.

Mix with gochujang instead of sauce!

I use a bun but eat it open faced with a fork. I like the soggy bread. I've also been known to just it plain with slaw on top. The rest of the family uses buns.

bake some potatoes then hollow them out reserving both the skins and the flesh.

make a mashed from the flesh, and quickly re-bake the skins until they're crispy and fill with your pulled pork.

pulled pork - not on a soggy bun, and mashed potatoes.

or kick it up and make colcannon with the mashed.

I love the sounds of that Bucky!! It's also our favorite for Taco's or Enchilada's, not to mention Machaca for breakfast..with scrambled eggs !

Another one here for pulled pork and slaw on toasted rolls - that's my fave combination, but pulled pork tacos are a close second. I buy a large pork shoulder, salt and pepper it and slow roast it, then sit in front of the TV with a couple of forks and a large bowl and just start shredding. :) I pack the shredded pork into several food saver bags, freeze it, and when I take a portion out, I reheat and season according to how I want to use it.

But I'm only cooking for one, usually. I love having freezer bags of it to make sandwiches, tacos, burritos, omelettes, soups, so many things. I'm out of it now so will have to get a nice roast this weekend and start shredding. :LOL:

The pic of pulled pork nachos on this page is incredibly mouth-watering: Loaded Pulled Pork Nachos Recipe - She Wears Many Hats

pork-loaded-nachos-2.jpg

I believe you're using my recipe and I'm thrilled that you like it so much :) In addition to the bun with slaw, I also like it on a soft flour tortilla with pickled onions, Monterey Jack cheese - mozzarella would work, too - and a squeeze of lime juice with Mexican rice on the side. An easy way to make Mexican rice is to make regular rice - 1 cup rice and 2 cups water - but replace 1/2 cup of the water with 1/2 cup of salsa.

You could also add pulled pork to tomato sauce as a sort of pork ragu and serve over pasta.

Rick Bayless | Pickled Red Onions

It is indeed your recipe GG! :)

And funnily enough I did recently try it with pasta and it was really lovely!

Cool! I haven't tried it that way yet; I read about it somewhere.

I bought a 7-lb. pork shoulder on sale today. I'll cut it in half and one day soon, we'll be having pulled pork, too. It's been a while. I'll use the rest for posole (Mexican pork and hominy stew). I make the green posole, which includes tomatillos, which are ripening day by day in the garden :)

Next time you make pulled pork, rather than mixing it with bbq sauce, try it instead with Mexican salsa verde and rolled up in a flour tortilla, burrito style. No forks allowed. Sure it's messy, but that's part of the fun.

No forks allowed??? :ohmy: But... but.....

I'm not a fan of BBQ sauce so the salsa option sounds interesting. The pork is quite rich so it is nice to cut through that with something quite fresh. (I guess that is why we Brits marry roast pork with apple sauce!)

Cool! I haven't tried it that way yet; I read about it somewhere.

I bought a 7-lb. pork shoulder on sale today. I'll cut it in half and one day soon, we'll be having pulled pork, too. It's been a while. I'll use the rest for posole (Mexican pork and hominy stew). I make the green posole, which includes tomatillos, which are ripening day by day in the garden :)

One of the things I like about pork shoulder is how cheap it is and yet with a little TLC you get brilliant results with it.

Back
Top Bottom