Pulled Pork with a bbq sauce recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gravy Queen

Head Chef
I usually use GotGarlics slow cooker pulled pork recipe , and I love it, but for a change has anyone got a pulled pork recipe with a barbecue sauce please? Not necessarily a slow cooker one, I actually like it done in the oven. I like anything I wander off from and leave for 6 hours.

I am thinking a sauce that cooks with it in the oven?

Cheers.

Typically not. After cooking and pulling the pork, you mix the BBQ sauce when you make the sandwich or in bulk when you serve it.

Typically not. After cooking and pulling the pork, you mix the BBQ sauce when you make the sandwich or in bulk when you serve it.

This for me too. The meat never sees any sauce until just before the sandwich is made. I cook it slow (about 230-240 F) with a pretty basic dry rub (preferably on my grill with smoke, but I've done it in the oven too), then coarsely shred it (I don't like my pulled pork minced). It's only after this point that it first sees any sauce.

I cook mine on my grill for an hour or so and then transfer to a dutch oven with this combo:

1 cup white vinegar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
big squirt of ketchup

When the meat is shreddable, I remove it to a cookie sheet and dump the liquid from the pot into a gravy separator to remove the fat.

The I shred and add back in the cooking liquid -- its sort of a Carolina bbq sauce at this point.. But you could add back in part of the cooking liquid and part a different kind of BBQ sauce till its the consistency you want.

I like a Kansas City style sauce myself, which is sweeter and more ketchup-like (bet you didn't know we had so many regional BBQ variations over here. :))

It's all a matter of personal preference. Try all different kinds, and see which you like best.

This is one of my favorite recipes. I've tried coming up with my own sauce recipe, but nothing I've made so far tops this one. I usually double the cayenne, because I like a little more "kick." And you can sub treacle for molasses.

Big Al's K.C. Bar-B-Q Sauce Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Last edited:
Ah right ok thanks , so do you make your own sauces ?

I do, although it's not the only sauce I use. The base for it is this:

½ cup Vinegar (apple cider, red wine, white, or mix)
2 Tbs balsamic vinegar (optional)
1/3 cup Ketchup
4 Tbs Chili powder
2 Tbs Onion powder
2 Tbs Garlic powder
1 Tbs Cayenne pepper
2 Tbs Black pepper
4 Tbs Molasses
2 Tbs Brown sugar
1 Tbs Kosher salt
4 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp yellow mustard
1 tsp liquid smoke

1. Whisk all ingredients together. This base sauce can be refrigerated indefinitely (I've used it after 2 years in the fridge).

You can modify it generously according to personal taste. As it is, it's a fairly thin sauce. I have brushed it on steak when grilling, and it seasons without overpowering the flavor of the meat. I've added store bought BBQ sauce (KC Masterpiece or similar smokey sauce) to thicken it for ribs or pulled pork sandwiches. Or mix with a sweeter sauce like Sweet Baby Ray's for pork or chicken.

I also have a simmered sauce that's supposed to be very good, but I haven't yet had an opportunity to try it. This one is from the Smoking Meats Forum.

Billbo's Sauce

1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion minced
1 green pepper minced
1 or more jalapeno pepper minced
pinch kosher salt and black pepper
5 Tbs minced fresh garlic
2 fifteen oz cans tomato sauce
2 cups ketchup
3/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cups molasses
1/4 cup cayenne pepper sauce
1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1 Tbs chili powder
2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 tsp allspice
1 Tbs liquid smoke

1. Heat the oil in a LARGE pan and throw in the onion & green pepper along with the salt & pepper. Saute until the onion gets translucent and soft. Once you hit this stage throw in the garlic. Cook with the garlic in for one minute then start adding the remaining ingredients except the Liquid Smoke. This is the fun and easy part!

2. After it's all stirred together keep your temp on really LOW as not to burn the sauce. SLOWLY bring it up to take it just under a simmer. If you try to get too hot, too fast, you will burn the sauce. Trust me! Let it sit on a low burner for about 4 hours stirring every 15-20 minutes or so to really bring the ingredients together and allow the sauce to thicken up. At the end add the liquid smoke and stir in slowly.

Back
Top Bottom