Question about a cut of meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
When I was a child my mother cooked a delicious/tender pork cut. It wasn't 'roasted' but was on top of the stove with what I assume was water added, then simmered/braised until done.

(Remember, I was a kid and wasn't interested in details. :))

As I remember she called it a colley or callie roast. (That's phonetic)
I went looking yesterday on the Internet and did finally find something called a Collar roast. It's also called a Scotch Collar, which makes a little sense since my mother had a little Scotch and English ancestry.

Maybe it's also called a Boston Butt roast here in the U.S.?

Anybody ever heard of a Collar roast?

Boston Butt = Shoulder
is it also called Collar?
Thank you---- I knew that but have you heard it called a Collar, in the U.S.? Seems from what I've read it's higher up on the shoulder than a Boston Butt.

When I was a child my mother cooked a delicious/tender pork cut. It wasn't 'roasted' but was on top of the stove with what I assume was water added, then simmered/braised until done.(Remember, I was a kid and wasn't interested in details. :))

As I remember she called it a colley or callie roast. (That's phonetic)
I went looking yesterday on the Internet and did finally find something called a Collar roast. It's also called a Scotch Collar, which makes a little sense since my mother had a little Scotch and English ancestry.

Maybe it's also called a Boston Butt roast here in the U.S.?

Anybody ever heard of a Collar roast?

Sounds like your mother was making a boiled smoked shoulder. :angel:

Sounds like your mother was making a boiled smoked shoulder. :angel:

Probably (but it wasn't smoked). I guess I'll have to find the info I found yesterday on the Internet about the difference (it may be just a matter of regional terminology) between a shoulder and a collar.

If a pork collar isn't exactly the same as a Boston butt, it's from the same general area of the hog. It should provide a delicious slow roasted result that will be flavorful and juicy.

My grandmother called a smoked picnic or smoked pork shoulder a callie or caly ham. She always made it as a boiled dinner instead of corned beef and the leftover broth eventually became split pea soup.

The folks at the NY Times say it is short for California.

Q&A - NYTimes.com

If a pork collar isn't exactly the same as a Boston butt, it's from the same general area of the hog. It should provide a delicious slow roasted result that will be flavorful and juicy.

That's what I'd read, yesterday, and now down in that black hole of my memory (!) that it was higher on the hog. Shoulder that is. :LOL:

It really doesn't make a big difference but I just like following will-o-the-wisps.

My grandmother called a smoked picnic or smoked pork shoulder a callie or caly ham. She always made it as a boiled dinner instead of corned beef and the leftover broth eventually became split pea soup.

Q&A - NYTimes.com

I never paid too much attention to what my mother did to my veggies, but when she made a boiled dinner, she always mashed my carrots and 'taters together with butter and some of the broth from the pot. She too (and myself) did the pea soup thing, with the bone in the water after most of the meat had been removed. I have never been able to duplicate it to where it tastes like hers. I would much rather have the smoked shoulder than a brisket. :angel:

I never paid too much attention to what my mother did to my veggies, but when she made a boiled dinner, she always mashed my carrots and 'taters together with butter and some of the broth from the pot. She too (and myself) did the pea soup thing, with the bone in the water after most of the meat had been removed. I have never been able to duplicate it to where it tastes like hers. I would much rather have the smoked shoulder than a brisket. :angel:
I agree 100%!

I like cold, thin sliced, deli corned beef for a sandwich, but I never cared for hot corned beef.

Q&A - NYTimes.com

Ah Ha! So someone else has heard that name used! Thanks. But I do remember that it definitely wasn't a smoked cut.

From that link you gave:

"The unsmoked version of a picnic shoulder is known as a fresh shoulder-arm picnic. It may be baked or simmered in a liquid." (Or a California-style cut---- which is strange because my parents thought Calif. was on the edge of the earth from where they lived in Missouri! :LOL:)

cave - glad it helped.

most of the 'collar' & associated cuts are more focused on roasting than a wet braise. depending on the region, you'll find multiple cuts of 'collar' - chops / steaks / etc.

as you are harking back to yonder "good ole daze" - be aware the Thoroughly Modern Piggy is seriously different from 30+/- years back.

hogs have been selectively bred (& fed) for lean meat; max. pounds per animal. the new "Other White Meat" may not meet your expectations / recollections. in which case you'll need to seek out a butcher with access to the old heirloom breeds.

cave - glad it helped.

most of the 'collar' & associated cuts are more focused on roasting than a wet braise. depending on the region, you'll find multiple cuts of 'collar' - chops / steaks / etc.

as you are harking back to yonder "good ole daze" - be aware the Thoroughly Modern Piggy is seriously different from 30+/- years back.

hogs have been selectively bred (& fed) for lean meat; max. pounds per animal. the new "Other White Meat" may not meet your expectations / recollections. in which case you'll need to seek out a butcher with access to the old heirloom breeds.

Yes I'm aware that the New Miss Piggy is leaner----- which may be right for some people but I do like the flavor that fat imparts. I often shop at markets that will offer less expensive meats in the hopes of finding pork that is fattier. My local 'whole foods' type market just isn't the place to find them. :neutral:

Back
Top Bottom