REC: Mike's Meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob464

Assistant Cook
I am not sure if this is the correct spot to post this recipe or not because it is beef and pork.

I pound of ground beef
1 pound ground pork sausage
1 onion finely chopped
1 can rotel
1 egg
1 cup of bread crumbs
2 slices of thick cut bacon

Mix all ingredients together and cook in oven at 350 till cooked through 1 1/2 hour.

Mike,

We make metloaf on a fairly regular basis and I love that you have used ground pork. I make meatballs and use 50/50 ground pork and hamburger and I think it tastes much better than hamburger alone. I also can not wait to use bacon in my next meatloaf, but I think I will chop it up like bacon bits.

I bet the above recipe would be really good if you served it BBQ sauce!

Bummer. I liked the recipe (I make mine with pork, also) until I saw what rotel was :ermm:
I've never been a fan of any kind of tomato or tomato paste in or on my meatloaf, which I know is odd since I like to eat it with catsup when a good gravy isn't available :wacko: .

So is the bacon cut up and mixed in with the other meat? Is it precooked to remove the grease? Layed on top?

Iam not sure about Mile's , but I lay my bacon across the top. I cut them in about 2 in. pieces, so everyone get a piece.

miniman, you may not have Rotel in GB. It's a can of diced tomatoes with diced clilies mixed in. You can buy either mild or hot.

Maybe I'll give this a try sometime. I usually just throw things together usually (breadcrumbs, ketchup, chopped onions, egg, garlic, store brand steak sauce or terriki sauce). I than pour bbq sauce on the top and sometimes I break an egg over the top before cooking for an hour. Sometimes it comes out really good and other times, it's ok. I usually eye most of the ingrediants. there is a butcher shop in a town near buy that sells misc. items. They sell already made meatloaf. It's very very good. It has these white spots all over the meatloaf. My husband and I don't know what they are. He says nothing will ever beat there meatloaf. I have no idea how they make it though "lol".

pacanis said:
Bummer. I liked the recipe (I make mine with pork, also) until I saw what rotel was :ermm:
I've never been a fan of any kind of tomato or tomato paste in or on my meatloaf, which I know is odd since I like to eat it with catsup when a good gravy isn't available :wacko: .

So is the bacon cut up and mixed in with the other meat? Is it precooked to remove the grease? Layed on top?

After adding pork to the recipe, why worry about the fat content in the bacon?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom