"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 02-08-2013, 04:08 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

That looks amazing GG, thanks for sharing

Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #12
Master Chef

This looks and sounds great, thanx for sharing GG :)

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Thanks, all CWS, I used garden tomatillos and jalapenos frozen whole for this. It can be used lots of different ways, for just about any Mexican-style filling. I might make enchiladas later in the week.
Oh--I have never frozen tomatillos whole--I usually peel and then chop them and cook for about 8-10 minutes, then I puree them and put in a zip lock. Do you freeze them with the paper still on?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, all

CWS, no, I remove the husk and rinse them, then put 1 lb. in quart-size freezer bags. After thawing, I put them in the food processor to chop roughly. They're pretty watery after thawing, so it's much easier than chopping on a board.

I also made roasted tomatillo salsa and froze that in jars. It makes a nice topping for enchiladas or tacos.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I'd have to pull out my salsa recipe, but I think I cook them whole and then run them through the FP. I hate the stickiness of them when cleaning them. I pressure can my salsa, but freezing it makes a lot of sense. Because tomatillos are often ready the same time as the end of the sweet corn, I often add corn to the salsa.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I'd have to pull out my salsa recipe, but I think I cook them whole and then run them through the FP. I hate the stickiness of them when cleaning them. I pressure can my salsa, but freezing it makes a lot of sense. Because tomatillos are often ready the same time as the end of the sweet corn, I often add corn to the salsa.
I pretty much follow this recipe by Rick Bayless for Roasted Tomatillo Salsa, but I don't like raw onions, so I roast that along with the other veggies.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yum now I want roasted tomatillos and onions...
Old 02-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I don't often see tomatillos around here and when I do they are expensive.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't often see tomatillos around here and when I do they are expensive.
Sounds like CWS has a few in season...she says they take over.

Tags
chiles, pork, recipe, tomatillos

RECIPE: Pork Chile Verde [B]Pork Chile Verde[/B] 4 lbs. pork shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into large chunks 2 tsp. salt 1 tsp. ground black pepper 1/4 cup canola oil 3 yellow onions, peeled and chopped 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded and chopped 2 Anaheim or poblano chiles, seeded and chopped 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced 3 cloves garlic, minced 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped 1 tbsp. dried Mexican oregano 2 tsp. ground cumin 2 tsp. ground coriander 2 bay leaves 1 bunch cilantro leaves, stemmed and coarsely chopped 4 cups chicken stock Season pork generously with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown pork well on all sides. This may need to be done in batches. Remove to a large bowl and set aside. Discard all but 2 tbsp. fat and add the onions and bell peppers to the pot; sprinkle with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Saute over moderate heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spatula and scraping up the browned bits, till softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chiles and garlic and cook another few minutes Add tomatillos, oregano, cumin, coriander, bay leaves and cilantro to the pot; stir to combine. Add meat and mix thoroughly. Pour in the chicken stock, stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 2-3 hours, uncovered, till pork is tender. Taste and adjust seasoning to taste with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Servings: 8 Serve with Mexican rice and top with [URL="http://books.google.com/books?id=JMxLEsZYF2sC&pg=PA170&lpg=PA170&dq=bayless+%22pickled+red+onions%22+vinegar&source=bl&ots=5T86cG7TSi&sig=zkFVo_qxr7dGjeZAR07X4Oodung&hl=en&sa=X&ei=cHoSUcfpBcWg2QXtyICADQ&ved=0CFIQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=bayless%20%22pickled%20red%20onions%22%20vinegar&f=false"]pickled red onions[/URL]. I also served [URL="http://www.coconutandlime.com/2009/09/ham-cheddar-poblano-corn-muffins.html"]Ham, Cheddar and Poblano Corn Muffins[/URL] with this. 3 stars 1 reviews