"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 07-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Rib Tips

I checked these particular threads for pork and did not find one that was specifically for the tips of ribs. I saw these in the store for the first time and the manager who happened to be bagging my groceries said he loved this particular part of pork. I asked him about making them and he said cannot be made to fast otherwise they would get tough. Said he broils them? I do not want to broil them but preferably bake them. Has someone and I am sure you have made rib tips before? Thanks for ideas.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Head Chef

If they are what I think they are, ITK, your rib tips were cut off the edges of slabs of spare ribs. And they should be cooked as such.

I smoke the tips along with my ribs, and just take them off the smoker a little sooner.

If you like to bake your ribs with BBQ sauce in a slow oven, or in the crockpot, both of those methods work well, too.

They are good eating! Enjoy!

Lee

Old 07-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Ribs tips most of the time refers to the brisket bones on the lower section of spare ribs...When they are removed to create the St Louis Cut Ribs they are often packaged and sold as rib tips. Cook them as you would spare ribs..."Low & slow" methods...At other times the end piece...boneless piece on the end of a slab of ribs...is trimmed of and called rib tips. A third thing you may see is a very thin...almost snake like strip of bone and meat...this was cut off to even up the slab on the St Louis cut. The first example...(brisket section removed) is the most common you will see at retail....While there is not a lot of meat...they can be excellent if properly cooked!!

Enjoy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Sounds good with barbeque sauce. Long and slow must be the main thing. Would 300 degrees be too high? I have no grill as no one else wants to do any cooking. I surely thought if we had one someone could take turn doing cooking.

Thanks for your thoughts. Uncle Bob, St Louis is where I am. Never knew there was rib recipe with the name.. QSis, appreciate your help too.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Ribs are on sale where I shop this week. $2.99 for the whole slab, $3.99 for "St Louis cut", which like UB said, are the rib with that "lateral, boney" section as I call it, removed. I always opt to have the butcher trim that portion off. I don't have the patience to pick through the bone

I'm sure you could adapt the rib recipe Ol-blue recently posted to cook them in the oven and broiler. Just use your own rub and sauce if you prefer, but use Debbie's method. That's how I'll be cooking my rack of St Louis cut ribs tonight . Good and moist!
Old 07-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Kitchen
Would 300 degrees be too high?
300* would work, but I think a little to hot...200* or 250* would be better. I know a guy who BBQ's at 300*.... He may eat sooner than I do...but never, better!!

In addtion to the St Louis Cut, you will hear of the Kansas City Cut...which is essentially the same cut...The difference being on the KC cut there is a small little flap of meat on the bone side that is removed. (Most people do this themselves anyway) Mostly I think it is a case of Intra-State rivalry....Jealously maybe...

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

does anyone cover their ribs for most of the cooking time" i do but am usually setting oven higher than 200. gonna try at that temp for my beef ribs. should i cover, when put sauce on?

babe
Old 07-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #8
Master Chef

I am with UB, low and slow not above 250F. I like to put mine in a covered bowl with spices and shake em up, then covered in the oven at 250F, and then at the end take the top off and add in BBQ sauce, raise the temp and let the sauce thicken up in the heat before taking out and serving.
On the grill I always have to put down tin foil or I seem to 'loose' a lot to the coals, LOL. This happen to anyone else or am I just clumsy?
Old 07-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
I am with UB, low and slow not above 250F. I like to put mine in a covered bowl with spices and shake em up, then covered in the oven at 250F, and then at the end take the top off and add in BBQ sauce, raise the temp and let the sauce thicken up in the heat before taking out and serving.
On the grill I always have to put down tin foil or I seem to 'loose' a lot to the coals, LOL. This happen to anyone else or am I just clumsy?
thanks maverick. that is what i did too.

babe
Old 07-06-2008, 04:37 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
hmmmm I've never seen rib tips (my favorite!) outside of Chicago!!!

thought that was a regional thing. They are a good value, because there is more real meat to eat on them than on the ribs themselves.

Tags
None