"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 07-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #31
Sous Chef

Perhaps how to stop their mouth from watering??????????? Mine is just reading about it

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
This thread has got me wishing for cold weather!

I have been thinking about the leftovers more than the dinner itself, roast pork and onion sandwiches, leftover roasted potatoes fried crispy and golden for breakfast, hot roast pork sandwiches smothered in gravy, a casserole of leftover pork and bones with sauerkraut served over some fluffy mashed potatoes!

I wonder what skinny folks think about!
I don't know how it works when Christmas is in July but it is a well-known fact that when Christmas falls in December there are no calories in anything you eat between getting up on Christmas Eve morning and going to bed on New Years Day night.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #33
Sous Chef

I think we must have the same calorie counter as you MC.....just doesn't count between those dates, weird Eh?

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I don't know how it works when Christmas is in July but it is a well-known fact that when Christmas falls in December there are no calories in anything you eat between getting up on Christmas Eve morning and going to bed on New Years Day night.

That may be how the British calories work. In the US, we have a caloric dispensation from the end of November when we celebrate Thanksgiving through New Years Day night. So, all this weight I gained must be due to a medical condition.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Is that a traditional Xmas dinner?
Being from a Cuban, Italian family, this meal is served as a Sunday meal. But could and is served at Christmas too.

Traditional Christmas dinners for Cuban people are usually suckling pig roasted over coals or in the ground similar to Hawaiian pig digs.
Black beans and rice are the staple dish in the Cuban home with red beans coming in second.
Chick peas are also very popular in this culture.

In addition to the above, the Cuban people will make Yucca and a very greasy topping we called Mojito Malanga. (check spelling). My dad would call it yucca malanga. We knew what he meant......lol
I for one loved this dish. But, I don't care for the yucca without the mojito malanga.
Tostones are required at the table. But the Cubans usually make baked or fried sweet ripe plantains. Tostones are green plantains and are treated differently.
Mt dad always told me tostones were Puerto Rican. Not sure how accurate that statement was.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That may be how the British calories work. In the US, we have a caloric dispensation from the end of November when we celebrate Thanksgiving through New Years Day night. So, all this weight I gained must be due to a medical condition.
I will remind my doctor of that fact next January. I will tell him I was sure I heard him tell me to eat heartily during the holidays. In fact he gives me the same reminder every year. I was only following his orders.

Tags
how to, other, pork, potato, potatoes, roast