Roast pork with crackling- how to serve the potatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoQuinoaForMeThanks

Assistant Cook
I'm doing a roast pork with crackling for a Christmas in July dinner party this weekend.

I'm serving it with:

Brussels sprouts with almonds
Ginger glazed carrots
Potatoes- I can't decide whether to do roasted (I make amazing crispy crunchy fluffy roasted potatoes!), fluffy mashed potatoes, or scalloped potatoes.
My concern with doing the roasted potatoes is that everything will be too rich (fatty), since pork with crackling is pretty fatty. Any thoughts?

I was planning on serving apple sauce, would it be too much to serve roasted pears as well?

I want to be decadent, but don't want to overdo it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Do the pork roast Cuban style, ditch the sprouts and potatoes. Replace them with tostones , black beans and rice.

Something I just thought of (not tried) - you could parboil potatoes then chop them into a loose onion and tomato sauce (fairly diluted to reduce with the potatoes becoming soft), i.e. being predominantly potato than sauce. The tomato would cut through the fat/greasiness of the pork; also adding freshly chopped sage will further counteract the oiliness.

Last edited:
I agree with Aunt Bea. Since you're already roasting the pork, take advantage of the hot oven and do the potatoes there, too. Spiced apple rings are a great idea. No need to have another fruit with them. Five items is enough. Plus dessert, right? :)

I think your menu is very nice. The only thing I have to say is to use this - Potato Dauphinoise Recipe - Great British Chefs instead of scalloped potatoes. That's just an idea to make the meal even more delicious. I might also add a touch of honey to the ginger carrots, but that's just personal preference. I hope you meal comes out perfectly.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Welcome to DC. So glad you found us. This is a fun place to be.

I know you want this meal to be over the top and decadent, just don't make too much work for yourself. You want to have time to enjoy your company also.

When making a menu, my first husband taught me that each food was considered a "course." And no meal should exceed seven courses. I don't know where that rule came from, but I was only too happy to keep it in mind. Saved me a lot of work. :angel:

Do the pork roast Cuban style, ditch the sprouts and potatoes. Replace them with tostones , black beans and rice.

I would do the same. But being from Miami and growing up on these foods, makes be a bit one sided.

Great advice. Leftovers are great too.

Welcome to DC. So glad you found us. This is a fun place to be.

I know you want this meal to be over the top and decadent, just don't make too much work for yourself. You want to have time to enjoy your company also.

When making a menu, my first husband taught me that each food was considered a "course." And no meal should exceed seven courses. I don't know where that rule came from, but I was only too happy to keep it in mind. Saved me a lot of work. :angel:

That's from classic French or Italian cuisine. Not much followed these days.

Your menu sounds bang on! You must go with the roast potatoes.......lots of them because everyone loves them and then I would also do a pot of mashed potatoes. That way one and all can have a choice.
Can I come please?

I agree with Menumaker, AB and GG. Go with your amazing roasted potatoes. And I would love to have the recipe!

Last edited:
I'm doing a roast pork with crackling for a Christmas in July dinner party this weekend.

I'm serving it with:

Brussels sprouts with almonds
Ginger glazed carrots
Potatoes- I can't decide whether to do roasted (I make amazing crispy crunchy fluffy roasted potatoes!), fluffy mashed potatoes, or scalloped potatoes.
My concern with doing the roasted potatoes is that everything will be too rich (fatty), since pork with crackling is pretty fatty. Any thoughts?

I was planning on serving apple sauce, would it be too much to serve roasted pears as well?

I want to be decadent, but don't want to overdo it.

Thanks!
I can only say what I'd do but here goes.

We always have roast AND mashed potatoes (greedy us :pig:) then diners can have either or both as they choose . Nicely crispy roasties aren't greasy. Mash can be made in advance and frozen to re-heat in the m/wave (another recent thread)

I'd probably stick at apple sauce (and make it the day before to have one less thing to do) but they are your friends/family not mine so go with what you think they'll like and what you can be bothered with - you don't want to be frazzled to death and too tired to enjoy the party. It isn't great fun to sit through the event wishing they'd get on with the washing up and leave you to curl up under the table and go to sleep :(

That's from classic French or Italian cuisine. Not much followed these days.

True, But it sure made my Thanksgiving dinners easier to prepare. Oh all right. Some years I did go overboard. Who doesn't for holiday dinners. Specially on desserts. :angel:

Is that a traditional Xmas dinner?

Cubans tend to have the big meal and open gifts on xmas eve. Suckling pig is traditional, but pork roast will work just fine.

Last edited:
The OP is in Australia, so she and her guests are probably not familiar with Cuban cuisine.

What does my answering Taxlady's question have to do with the OP's location?;)
Well, I was asking because the OP is in Australia. I actually wanted to know if the sides you mentioned were traditional for Xmas. I'm not saying that wouldn't make a lovely meal. I just think that serving that would make it a plain old party, not Xmas in July.

What does my answering Taxlady's question have to do with the OP's location?;)

I thought I explained that in the second half of the sentence, but here's the rest of my thinking: Would you try a completely new cuisine you've never cooked before for a holiday dinner coming up this weekend? Maybe you would, but I think most people would not.

Well, I was asking because the OP is in Australia. I actually wanted to know if the sides you mentioned were traditional for Xmas. I'm not saying that wouldn't make a lovely meal. I just think that serving that would make it a plain old party, not Xmas in July.

Yeah, I think he knows that, but likes being a SA ;) Don't ask me what that means.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom