ROAST SAUSAGE WITH ONIONS, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
ok I saw this in another link. I"m going to make it later. I'm almost positive that this will still come out good even though I'm substituting. What do you think? I go shopping tomorrow and won't be making it to the store today.
I am replacing it with the following:

ROAST SAUSAGE WITH ONIONS, SQUASH, TOMATOES & POTATOES

I have a small butternut squash that I was thinking of peeling and cutting into cubes. I really only have one small roma tomatoe, but could always throw in some of my homemade pasta sauce that I have in the frigerator. Other than that, I have kielbasa, Potatoes and a little bit of onion left. I definetely have no peppers, which I'm sure makes this recipe great!!

The original recipe posted on another site was this:

ROAST SAUSAGE WITH ONIONS, PEPPER & POTATOES

Bell Peppers - green, red, yellow - whatever you prefer to use - cored, seeded and cut into nice chunks.
Potatoes, scrubbed & cubed into large chunks.
Large onions, of any variety, peeled and chunked.
Salt & Pepper, Olive oil
Sausage - Italian is the primary choice but this is wonderful with Kielbasa, Bratwurst, Chorizo, Andouille, whatever you can get a lot of for a little.

Combine all cut vegetables in a large foil roasting pan and drizzle with a goodly amount of olive oil, season with salt & pepper.
I add some crushed red pepper, a little Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano and mix well.
Cover with foil and bake in a 350°F oven for about an hour.

While the veggies cook, parboil your sausage in a little water in a covered pan for 15 to 20 minutes.
When veggies are starting to get nice and soft, cut the sausage into nice size pieces and add to the roasting pan.

Cover and bake 3/4 to 1 hour, then uncover & roast under the broiler, stirring occasionally, till the sausage is browning nicely and the veggies start to show signs of browning.
Serve with grated cheese, bread and a salad, or a raw vegetable antipasto, or soup, or anything.

hmmm, that would be my post, can't remember where I posted it!! ;)

To your substitutions -

butternut squash - I'd say yes, that would be tasty.
add that poor little lonely tomato - even a can to tomatoes, drained well! (but, I wouldn't add marinara sauce, would make everything too soupy)

But, I gotta tell you without more fresh tomatoes and bells, you're just not giving this dish the chance to really wow you!!! This is a dish given to me to be included in a Chef Apprenticeship scholarship fund raiser cookbook two years ago by a great home cook, roberto!!! Everyone who has tried it loves it!!

Good luck - just raid that pantry and frig a little more...:rolleyes:

thanks

Thanks for the reply!!
I know, I am sad that I can't try the peppers and more tomatoes. I know how important different kinds of peppers can be to a recipe.

I guess I'll just have to make due for now. Thanks for letting me know about draining the tomatoes.

Also, if you have a sec, our broiler is under the stove. It's like a draw that you open. I wonder if I can still take the pan with everything in it after it's done baking and transfer it down to the broiler without having to switch from "bake to broil". I'm guessing I probably could since the oven will be hot. I never switched a pan over from the oven down to the broiler. I have a glass baking dish lined with tinfoil ready to put my stuff in.

yummy

It came out so scrumptious!!! I know it's not the original recipe with the peppers. The squash was sooo good. I almost forgot too, my DH isn't picky but there are 2-4 things he doesn't like. One of them is cooked peppers. Darn and I wanted to try the recipe the way that your suppose to make it. Anyways, it was just so so yummy.

I did also throw in some tomatoes from a can of tomatoes I happen to have. I didn't put that many in. I think I might of overdid it with the olive oil, but it was still very very good. I'm not so sure if there was too much in there or not.

Back
Top Bottom