"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 06-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Roasting Boston Butt - Cover or Uncover?

I'm about to put a Boston butt in a convection oven. Are you supposed to roast it covered or uncovered? Thanks

Old 06-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Typically, open pan and you would put it on a rack so it doesn't sit in its own juices. If you put a lid on, the meat steams because of the moisture in the meat.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Wine Guy

I'm guessing you'll get a lot of differing opinions, but I always cover mine. Actually, I wrap it in foil to minimize the amount of airspace, and roast it using very low heat (250-275F). That way, as the fat renders off, the meat cooks in it and remains moist and flavorful - kind of like a "confit".
Old 06-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Here's what I do:

Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder

1 Ea Pork Butt, 6 to 8 Lb.
C Kosher salt
C Light Brown Sugar
TT Ground Black Pepper
2-3 Tb Flour

Cut slits 1 inch apart in the fat cap of the roast, being careful not to cut into the meat. If the roast is boned, tie it with string to a uniform shape. Combine the salt and brown sugar in a bowl and rub it all over the pork shoulder and into the slits. Wrap the roast tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap, place it on rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.

Preheat the oven to 325 F.

Adjust an oven rack to the lowest position in the oven. Unwrap the roast and brush off any excess salt mixture. Season the roast with pepper. Place the roast onto a V-rack coated with nonstick cooking spray set in large roasting pan and add 1 quart of water to the roasting pan.

Cook the roast, basting it twice during cooking, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the roast, near but not touching any bone, registers 190 F, about 5 to 6 hours. Add water to the pan as needed to prevent its drying out.

Transfer the roast to a carving board and let it rest, loosely tented with foil, for 1 hour prior to carving.

To make a gravy, transfer the liquid in the roasting pan to a fat separator and let it stand.

Using 2-3 tablespoons of fat and an equal amount of flour, make a roux. Whisk in the defatted liquid from the roasting pan supplemented with chicken broth if necessary. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes to make the gravy.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds good, Andy, but the question was covered or uncovered. I was going by Joy of Cooking's definition for "roast".
Old 06-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Sounds good, Andy, but the question was covered or uncovered. I was going by Joy of Cooking's definition for "roast".
My post doesn't disagree with yours. The recipe I posted calls for an open pan and a rack as does your post.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy, I always put about a half inch of water in the bottom at the start. It helps prevent the rendering fat from smoking as it cooks. And I too make mine uncovered. It gives the meat a nice color on the top. Other than adding the water at the beginning, I make mine like yours. Comes out perfect everytime.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...Other than adding the water at the beginning, I make mine like yours. Comes out perfect everytime.

My recipe calls for adding water at the beginning...
Old 06-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
My recipe calls for adding water at the beginning...
Maybe I misread it. Sorry.

Uh oh, time for ice cream or chocolate.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Maybe I misread it. Sorry.

Uh oh, time for ice cream or chocolate.

No need to choose one. Have both!

Tags
None