"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 05-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
WOW, it never occured to me to read the ingredients on the meat labels. I guess I better start. I don't want meat that has been injected with saline.
Oddly enough, the info on the label about it being injected with saline is usually in teeny tiny type and buried. What does that tell you?
The next time you go to the supermarket, take a look at turkey breasts and pork roasts to get an idea about the labels. I'm betting that if you want meat without the saline, you will pay top dollar for "organic" meat. Once again a case of paying more for leaving something out of a product.
As I said before, it's ALWAYS about the money.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Well of course it is about Money. No one is in business to not make money. That is why they sell things. They would not be in business very long if they were not making money. There can be more than one reason why companies do things though and with injecting meat there is also flavor and texture and moistness to consider.

Have you thought of writing to the companies and expressing your displeasure? If they got enough people doing that you can bet they would consider stopping or at least offering an alternative.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laury View Post
I'm betting that if you want meat without the saline, you will pay top dollar for "organic" meat. .
Not so. At least where I live. All you need do is be a smart shopper by reading the labels or switching stores. Non-adulterated poultry and pork -- which is also not organic -- is readily available here.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I went 3 stores and could not find either a pork loin or pork roast that was unadulterated. And none of the products were packaged at the store - they were from chain suppliers.
I guess what surprises me most is that I would think that "foodies" in general would be opposed to a product that has been "pre-flavored" for them. The great joy of cooking for me is to take a given natural product and prepare it with my own tastes in mind.

And of course I understand that companies are in business to make money. But as we have so abundantly witnessed over the last year in this country - it's ALL about the bottom line and to hell with the little guy.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
I guess what surprises me most is that I would think that "foodies" in general would be opposed to a product that has been "pre-flavored" for them.
That is not the supermarkets target audience though. For the most part they are selling to people who are not foodies. They are selling to people who need to get food on the table quickly and may or may not know how to cook well or even care about cooking. For them, injected meat is a plus because it is more forgiving when cooking. It is much harder to overcook, or to be more accurate, much harder to notice an overcooked piece of meat if it has been injected. Sure most foodies will agree that they would rather have the meat in it's natural state, but that is not the largest group of people who are being sold to in the market.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I much prefer my meat "pure". If I want to brine it, I'll do it myself with my recipe not some meat factory mass produced product. (I will probably be much gentler with the salt! for one thing.) I also want real smoked meat (ham bacon etc) rather than smoke flavor injected or sloshed on.

I am lucky, having a real old time butcher in a small town near me, and two local farms with organic pastured meats for sale. The difference is amazing.

However, if I'm grilling bbq chicken or find pork tenderloins on sale 2 for 1 ... I head to the supermarket for the savings and load up my freezer.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #17
Senior Cook

No, it's not the supermarket's target audience. But presumably DC is the target audience for this thread and it's hardly gotten a rise out of anyone. In fact, the practice is sort of being defended here. Curious.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
No, it's not the supermarket's target audience. But presumably DC is the target audience for this thread and it's hardly gotten a rise out of anyone. In fact, the practice is sort of being defended here. Curious.
Laury, I have to agree with you after reading the whole thread up to this point. I don't know why the folks here think buying pre-marinated meat is such a good idea. I certainly don't.

It's yet another reason why I buy so little meat these days. I won't buy any from a supermarket. If I can't buy from the farmers at the Greenmarket, I might consider Whole Foods meat, but more likely I will choose a meatless meal. I don't want to find out what the steroids, antibiotics, hormones or whatever that has been added to the animal feed might do to me and mine. I haven't purchased supermarket meat for more than 20 years.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Laury, since the advent of leaner pork, the other white meat, pork has gotten dry and more dense in texture. The injected saline keeps it "moist and tender". Hams are also injected to keep them moist...they are also smoke injected and pressure shaped, (unless they are bone in.)

That's another thing...a bone in roast has so much more flavor! Try to find one these days...very hard to locate.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
In fact, the practice is sort of being defended here. Curious.
Well I have no problem with the practice because it does serve a purpose. Like others have mentioned, we can still find non injected meat so we have a choice. I am more than happy that injected meats are sold though. When I go to someones house for dinner and that person is not a great cook then the meat they serve me tastes better if it is injected because it is moister and seasoned whereas someone who is a poor cook would probably under season and over cook their meat.

Injected meat is not evil incarnate. It has its place. I like to cook and know how to cook so when I buy my meat I buy it unadulterated. I am not forced to buy something I do not like. My MIL can buy an injected bird though and when I eat at her house I am happy because even when she under seasons and over cooks it then it still tastes pretty good.

Tags
None