Saline Injected Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Instead of injecting, why don't they just brine them to improve flavor?
Brining and injecting are the same thing with just different methods. The outcome is exactly the same though. Brining and injecting are both ways of getting liquid into the muscle. They inject because it is faster.
Could it be that brining won't increase the weight?
Of course brining increases the weight. The whole point of brining is to introduce salty liquid into the muscle.
And why can't they offer a choice of injected and non-injected?
I do have that choice and many others do to. If you don't then you need to take that up with your market. Perhaps they do not offer it in your market because their target audience wants the injected meat.

Why? why don't you buy it?

The appropriate response would be to breed better tasting animals.
I don't buy it because I know how to cook and enjoy doing so. I know how to brine on my own and like doing it. I am not every person though. Most people do not know how to cook well or do not want to so for them this is a great product.

Sure breeding a better tasting animal would be a better solution, but do you know how to do that? Do you know how to get a better tasting animal that is low in fat and still juicy? I am sure it is not as easy as just saying this is what we want, now go make it happen. I would be willing to bet anything that if they could come up with an animal like that they they would take full advantage of it in a second. Brining adds flavor, but it is no substitute for flavor in the meat originally. If they could come out with a better tasting animal that was still juicy I would bet anything they would make more money off that product then what they are making off the additional weight of the saline they are selling.

What percentage of the market's customers even realizes the meat is injected?
Probably not a large percent, but that is not the question to ask. The question is what percent of the population is happier that they can not cook a piece of meat and having it come out moist and tender and flavorful as opposed to dry and nasty. The "how" does not matter to those people for the most part. It is the end result that matters.

From the article post by jennyema - "Properly brined meat shouldn't taste salty, just very juicy with good flavor."

They are not the same. Injected meat is salty throughout. According the the article quoted above it shouldn't taste salty. Presumably brining would just improve the flavor and moistness, not infuse the meat with salt.

OK, I'm going to go out on a very long limb right now. Bring Back The Fat!!
Or at least some of it. That would go a long way towards solving some of the flavor issues AND keep the weights higher for better profit margins

From the article post by jennyema - "Properly brined meat shouldn't taste salty, just very juicy with good flavor."

They are not the same. Injected meat is salty throughout. According the the article quoted above it shouldn't taste salty. Presumably brining would just improve the flavor and moistness, not infuse the meat with salt.
You are presuming wrong and you are also taking one small part of one small article as the final word. When a piece of meat is properly brined I am not sure if I would say it tastes salty as that could imply that you are just tasting the salt, but I would say that you certainly notice the salt throughout the meat as opposed to meat that was not brined and was salted in more traditional way where you notice the salt on the surface of the meat, but not within.

The whole point of brining is to infuse the meat with salt and liquid so yes it is the same as injecting. Brining works by osmosis. The meat is submerged in a salt/liquid solution. Because the salinity is more outside the meat than inside the liquid is sucked into the meat to make the salinity outside and inside equal. The meat is seasoned the whole way through.

The reason your injected meat tastes so salty is because they are using too much salt. The same could happen with a brine. You could probably undo some of that they have done by soaking your meat in a water bath for a while. This would draw some of the saltwater out and replace it with straight water much as the reverse happens with bringing. It is the same principle though as the salt water is trying to find equality.

Last edited:
...Do you know how to get a better tasting animal that is low in fat and still juicy? I am sure it is not as easy as just saying this is what we want, now go make it happen...

I do not know how to get a better tasting animal that is low in fat and still juicy. No one expects a retired accountant to know that. I assume the giant corporations that raise these animals have that kind of resource.

It's not as easy as saying it AND it's a lot more expensive than injecting it.

The meat companies will not spend the time or the money necessary to do it "right" if they can get away with doing it easily and inexpensively.

The meat companies will not spend the time or the money necessary to do it "right" if they can get away with doing it easily and inexpensively.
I disagree. I think their profits would be much higher if they could produce what you are proposing. Natural whole foods are all the rage and have been for a very long time. If they could produce a better tasting naturally low fat juicy product they would market the heck out of that and make tons more money then they are making now. I just do not believe that they know how to do it and I am not convinced that they are not actively trying to do it. All these companies have R&D departments and are constantly trying to figure out how to do things better, with the end result being more money of course. I would think they all have teams of people working on this very issue.

Well, I must be wrong then, GB.
Thanks for setting me straight; it is nice to have such an authority amongst the staff here.

Gosh, it is nice to know that companies have our best interests in mind, and would never engage in less-than-honest practices, just to make a dollar or two.

And it is REALLY nice to know that WE made this happen. I am sure happy to find out that companies NEVER create demands, trends or desires for products that otherwise might never get on the market.

thanks for the eye openers!

the two things are not mutuality exclusive GF. I never said anywhere that companies have our best interests in mind or that they would never engage in less than honest practices (although I do not see where anyone is being dishonest with injecting meat) or that companies never create demands or trends. That does not change the fact that the consumers made demands that the companies heard and met.

You are presuming wrong and you are also taking one small part of one small article as the final word.

That the meat should not be salty from brining is the very heart of the matter. It's not a small part of a small article. It sums up the articles entire premise.
I want to thank everyone for chiming in on this matter. It's clear that there are many differing opinions on this and no one is right or wrong. I just keep going back to the idea that all this salting in whatever form is an attempt to replace/disguise what has been bred out of so many of our meats. Regardless of whether "we" demanded it or not. I, for one, am going to pay more if necessary to get more organic, natural meats and I will tell the supermarkets who do not offer a choice why I am no longer buying from them.
In these times of stress and uncertainty - just one pork chop that tasted like it did in the '50's would gladden my heart. Fat be ****ed.

You are presuming wrong and you are also taking one small part of one small article as the final word.

That the meat should not be salty from brining is the very heart of the matter. It's not a small part of a small article. It sums up the articles entire premise.
I want to thank everyone for chiming in on this matter. It's clear that there are many differing opinions on this and no one is right or wrong. I just keep going back to the idea that all this salting in whatever form is an attempt to replace/disguise what has been bred out of so many of our meats. Regardless of whether "we" demanded it or not. I, for one, am going to pay more if necessary to get more organic, natural meats and I will tell the supermarkets who do not offer a choice why I am no longer buying from them.
In these times of stress and uncertainty - just one pork chop that tasted like it did in the '50's would gladden my heart. Fat be ****ed.

You are right. It should not be salty. It should be moist and savory.

I think you are doing the right thing by telling the store that you won't buy injected meats. Sadly, I bet they won't care.

I guess I am lucky that my store sells both kinds.

GrillinFool said:
I don't like it.

Then don't buy it GF --- Like I said before..Call, complain, shop elsewhere. Tell the store Managers you are going to boycott the store until they offer you a choice! Enlist like minded people in your area to do the same!!

GrilliinFool said:
And it is REALLY nice to know that WE made this happen.

In the case of "Enhanced" meats WE the consumer played a major roll. WE the consumer always do.

GrillinFool said:
I am sure happy to find out that companies NEVER create demands, trends or desires for products that otherwise might never get on the market.

This is a bad thing???? -- I see it as a good/positive thing! Think of all of the new, better, improved, safer, healthier products that we have today compared to just 5 years ago that some company or individual created/introduced into the market place...Create a demand by doing so????? They can only hope/pray so. WE the consumer have the final say if the product makes it. Every year there are thousands of new products issued, by companies, individuals starting new companies, etc into the market place... At the end of the day WE the consumer get to vote on whether or not the product stays on the shelf. We vote with our pocket books!! WE create the demand....or not.

Fancy Food Show

This is a bad thing???? -- I see it as a good/positive thing! Think of all of the new, better, improved, safer, healthier products that we have today compared to just 5 years ago that some company or individual created/introduced into the market place...Create a demand by doing so????? They can only hope/pray so. WE the consumer have the final say if the product makes it. Every year there are thousands of new products issued, by companies, individuals starting new companies, etc into the market place... At the end of the day WE the consumer get to vote on whether or not the product stays on the shelf. We vote with our pocket books!! WE create the demand....or not.

Fancy Food Show

I agree.

I know consumer products manufacturers create "artificial" demand for their products, but then if "natural" demand cannot be sustained the products ultimately fail.

But if real demand for them continues, then the product must be meeting a real need -- and,like Bob said, that's a good thing (or was that Martha?)

I agree.

I know consumer products manufacturers create "artificial" demand for their products, but then if "natural" demand cannot be sustained the products ultimately fail.

But if real demand for them continues, then the product must be meeting a real need -- and,like Bob said, that's a good thing (or was that Martha?)

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Well, I must be wrong then, GB.
Thanks for setting me straight; it is nice to have such an authority amongst the staff here.

Gosh, it is nice to know that companies have our best interests in mind, and would never engage in less-than-honest practices, just to make a dollar or two.

And it is REALLY nice to know that WE made this happen. I am sure happy to find out that companies NEVER create demands, trends or desires for products that otherwise might never get on the market.

thanks for the eye openers!

You devil you :angel:

Hi everybody

I rarely cook poultry or red meat, Yesterday I was cooking some Kangaroo meat and and realised that it had too much juice, when I I tasted found too salty . it was such taht I did not put any salt in the dish any more ,

I was wondering about the reason of too much salt in the meat - so I consulted google and found oud out that there there are special machines tha are designed for infusion of saline water + a chemical the make it sure that the water do not leach out. I also found this discussion group.

I agree with those of you who want advocate for labeling of saline infused meats. good on you do whatever you can.

I am going to discuss the matter with my GP and also doing something about it in Australia.

Cheers

Ali

I just read through this thread from beginning to end, and I see valid points from both sides of the discussion. On the OP's side, there are a great many places where choice between natural, and adulterated meat is not an option. Where there is a choice, those who rely on "enhanced" meat can purchase it, while those who really enjoy the cooking process can purchace the natural product.

Injected meat, as GB stated, has it's place on the store shelves. But like Laury stated, it shouldn't be the only choice.

I bemoan the fact that in our society, money is the all important motivator. In that famous book that I like to read, it never stated that money is the root of all evil. It does state that "The love of money is the root of all evil." IMHO, there are too many people who put their love of money above the love of their neighbor. This leads to unscrupulous practices, whether it be injecting meat with lots of water, or shoddy workmanship by a manufacturer of their widget.

If I purchase products at Walmart, for instance, I know that I am purchasing products designed to make the owners of Walmart very wealthy, often by forcing manufactures to lower their standards so that Walmart can offer a more attractive price. Unfortunately, most people in our nation are struggling to make ends meat, and will gladly pay less for an inferior product. This is why I never purchase meat there. I only buy it at one locale superette, or from a butcher who's shop is 20+ miles away. Hot dogs, on the other hand, I buy at the cheaper price.

Unlike high quality brands of, say, outdoor boots, Walmart can't force Koegles to change their product to meet Walmart criteria. But they do force others to do so.

Ultimately, as GB stated, we decide which products are sold or not on store shelves. Unfortunately, most people don't have the disposable income to allow choice. Of course, it we could get rid of cable tv bills, and cell phone bills, and other costs for luxury items that we seem to think are essential, we might have enough income to raise our standards of living.

If I can get wild game, or I can catch my own fish, or eat fresh veggies from my garden, a garden that uses only manure and compost as fertilizer, that is far preferable to anything food I can get in a store. unfortunately, though I am a well above average shot, I am a well below average hunter. I'm not good at spotting game, and rarely have time to get into the woods, or on a good fishing stream. And my gardens are hit and miss. Some years, I get more produce than I know what to do with. Other years, I only get a meal or two's worth of veggies.

Will I buy injected meat, probably. Do i prefer excellent, natural meat, definitely. I am pragmatic though, and realize that we have created a society of haves, and have nots, with fewer people in between. I make a decent wage, and am still struggling due to family health issues, the high cost of food, not pay raise of any kind now for seven years, no better job prospects where I live, etc. But ultimately, my choices have given me four outstanding adult kids, a wife I love, and a sturdy home. I have better water from my well than most people in the world. I have support from my neighbors, family, and members of the church I go to. And I have the respect of many.

I choose to live in a place where there is not as much choice in the supermarkets. It gave me a safer place to raise those four rugrats, who became wonderful parents in their own right.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we need to look carefully at where we are, as individuals, as family members, and as a society. We need to take responsibility for our state of well being. We have the right to choose. But we have to think about the ramifications of our choices.

I can't directly control the choices of others, though I may be able to influence those choices in some way. I can't make the major pork industry change the way they do things. I can make a choice to seek out premium pork producers near where I live. I know they are around. I haven't made the choice to save the money to purchase a whole, or half pig, or a half cow, even though I know the quality is far superior than I can get in any supermarket, and will cost significantly less in the far run. But coming up with the initial cash outlay is a problem for me, and for most people. If I set aside a little cash every payday, until I had sufficient funds, I would be doing myself a favor. Unfortunately, every time I start doing that, something unexpected comes up that requires that savings to be spent. That's just life.

We must understand that our personal choices determine our quality of life. If TV is so important to us that we are willing to pay $100+ per month to have it, then we must understand that there is something else we must forgo to enjoy those TV programs. That's just the way it is. We can't, and shouldn't have everything. Learning to make good choices is part of why we live in this world.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom