"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #41
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laury View Post
Instead of injecting, why don't they just brine them to improve flavor?
Brining and injecting are the same thing with just different methods. The outcome is exactly the same though. Brining and injecting are both ways of getting liquid into the muscle. They inject because it is faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laury View Post
Could it be that brining won't increase the weight?
Of course brining increases the weight. The whole point of brining is to introduce salty liquid into the muscle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laury View Post
And why can't they offer a choice of injected and non-injected?
I do have that choice and many others do to. If you don't then you need to take that up with your market. Perhaps they do not offer it in your market because their target audience wants the injected meat.
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #42
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
...Perhaps they do not offer it in your market because their target audience wants the injected meat.

What percentage of the market's customers even realizes the meat is injected?
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #43
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Why? why don't you buy it?

The appropriate response would be to breed better tasting animals.
I don't buy it because I know how to cook and enjoy doing so. I know how to brine on my own and like doing it. I am not every person though. Most people do not know how to cook well or do not want to so for them this is a great product.

Sure breeding a better tasting animal would be a better solution, but do you know how to do that? Do you know how to get a better tasting animal that is low in fat and still juicy? I am sure it is not as easy as just saying this is what we want, now go make it happen. I would be willing to bet anything that if they could come up with an animal like that they they would take full advantage of it in a second. Brining adds flavor, but it is no substitute for flavor in the meat originally. If they could come out with a better tasting animal that was still juicy I would bet anything they would make more money off that product then what they are making off the additional weight of the saline they are selling.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #44
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
What percentage of the market's customers even realizes the meat is injected?
Probably not a large percent, but that is not the question to ask. The question is what percent of the population is happier that they can not cook a piece of meat and having it come out moist and tender and flavorful as opposed to dry and nasty. The "how" does not matter to those people for the most part. It is the end result that matters.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #45
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 229
[quote=Laury;818968]From the article post by jennyema - "Properly brined meat shouldn't taste salty, just very juicy with good flavor."

They are not the same. Injected meat is salty throughout. According the the article quoted above it shouldn't taste salty. Presumably brining would just improve the flavor and moistness, not infuse the meat with salt.

OK, I'm going to go out on a very long limb right now. Bring Back The Fat!!
Or at least some of it. That would go a long way towards solving some of the flavor issues AND keep the weights higher for better profit margins
__________________
"First we eat, then we do everything else." M.F.K. Fisher
Laury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #46
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
[QUOTE=Laury;819195]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laury View Post
From the article post by jennyema - "Properly brined meat shouldn't taste salty, just very juicy with good flavor."

They are not the same. Injected meat is salty throughout. According the the article quoted above it shouldn't taste salty. Presumably brining would just improve the flavor and moistness, not infuse the meat with salt.
You are presuming wrong and you are also taking one small part of one small article as the final word. When a piece of meat is properly brined I am not sure if I would say it tastes salty as that could imply that you are just tasting the salt, but I would say that you certainly notice the salt throughout the meat as opposed to meat that was not brined and was salted in more traditional way where you notice the salt on the surface of the meat, but not within.

The whole point of brining is to infuse the meat with salt and liquid so yes it is the same as injecting. Brining works by osmosis. The meat is submerged in a salt/liquid solution. Because the salinity is more outside the meat than inside the liquid is sucked into the meat to make the salinity outside and inside equal. The meat is seasoned the whole way through.

The reason your injected meat tastes so salty is because they are using too much salt. The same could happen with a brine. You could probably undo some of that they have done by soaking your meat in a water bath for a while. This would draw some of the saltwater out and replace it with straight water much as the reverse happens with bringing. It is the same principle though as the salt water is trying to find equality.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #47
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
...Do you know how to get a better tasting animal that is low in fat and still juicy? I am sure it is not as easy as just saying this is what we want, now go make it happen...

I do not know how to get a better tasting animal that is low in fat and still juicy. No one expects a retired accountant to know that. I assume the giant corporations that raise these animals have that kind of resource.

It's not as easy as saying it AND it's a lot more expensive than injecting it.

The meat companies will not spend the time or the money necessary to do it "right" if they can get away with doing it easily and inexpensively.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #48
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

The meat companies will not spend the time or the money necessary to do it "right" if they can get away with doing it easily and inexpensively.
I disagree. I think their profits would be much higher if they could produce what you are proposing. Natural whole foods are all the rage and have been for a very long time. If they could produce a better tasting naturally low fat juicy product they would market the heck out of that and make tons more money then they are making now. I just do not believe that they know how to do it and I am not convinced that they are not actively trying to do it. All these companies have R&D departments and are constantly trying to figure out how to do things better, with the end result being more money of course. I would think they all have teams of people working on this very issue.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #49
Head Chef
 
GrillingFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 2,223
Well, I must be wrong then, GB.
Thanks for setting me straight; it is nice to have such an authority amongst the staff here.

Gosh, it is nice to know that companies have our best interests in mind, and would never engage in less-than-honest practices, just to make a dollar or two.

And it is REALLY nice to know that WE made this happen. I am sure happy to find out that companies NEVER create demands, trends or desires for products that otherwise might never get on the market.

thanks for the eye openers!
__________________
GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #50
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
the two things are not mutuality exclusive GF. I never said anywhere that companies have our best interests in mind or that they would never engage in less than honest practices (although I do not see where anyone is being dishonest with injecting meat) or that companies never create demands or trends. That does not change the fact that the consumers made demands that the companies heard and met.
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.