"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 05-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Saline Injected Meat

This is driving me crazy and I wonder if anyone else has a problem with it. More and more I go to the supermarkets and find meat - pork, chicken, turkey, maybe beef but I haven't checked, that has been injected with a saline "enhancement" solution for "better flavor" and "moister meat". I HATE IT! It completely changes the taste of the meat for the worse and it's purely to plump up the meat with water so it will weigh more and cost more. It's just greed. And now that few supermarkets do their own butchering, there is often no choice but the pumped up ones. I had to go to Whole Foods and pay their high prices just to get an uninjected pork roast. It's bad enough that they've bred all the flavor out of most meats - now this! It's hard for me to understand that there has been no outcry over this practice. I told the Safeway Meat Manager that I we going elsewhere to buy the roast because all of his were adulterated.
Good butchers and butcher shops seem to have gone the way of the dodo bird or I would take my business to them. I'm looking for a good one now that isn't 20 miles away.

Anybody else have a problem with this practice?

Old 05-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Master Chef

i've a HUGE problem with the saline. here, mainly frozen chix is injected. if you ask me, it's to boost their weight.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I guess I've never really understood the difference. I have one knife that I use 99% of the time and when it feels dull, I hone it. When honed, it's behaves pretty much as I want it to. It's a Henckels knife. Should I sharpen it as well? If so, how is it done and with what? Thanks for your help!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

I prefer to buy my meat non-injected, but I do not agree with your quote here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laury View Post
it's purely to plump up the meat with water so it will weigh more and cost more. It's just greed.
Yes that is one reason why it is done, but it is not the only reason. Brining mean, which is essentially what they are doing when they inject saline solution, is a very popular technique used to make meat juicier and more flavorful. If done right it can greatly improve the flavor and texture of the meat.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I guess we'll have to disagree on this. I like the naturally sweet flavor of pork and other meats. I prefer that seasonings on the outside and any sauces, gravies etc. provide the needed salt. Having the meat salted all they way through totally changes the original character of the meat IMHO. It is the contrast between the meat and what it is served with that gives the best flavor, at least to me. To me, adding saline because brining is popular is like saying everyone likes cheese omelettes so let's add cheese to all the eggs before they're laid. I should have the option as to how to flavor the meat, not have it forced on me because it's popular. And if the process didn't add to the weight being higher, I doubt they would go to the trouble. It's ALWAYS about profit.
Also everyone, please forgive the knife related post above. I has on another thread and got them mixed up and I don't know how to move it!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laury View Post
adding saline because brining is popular is like saying everyone likes cheese omelettes so let's add cheese to all the eggs before they're laid. I should have the option as to how to flavor the meat, not have it forced on me because it's popular.
You are talking about two separate things. One is doing something because it is popular and the other is doing something to every item so you do not have a choice. The two do not have to go hand in hand. In my markets I can get both injected and non-injected meats so your analogy of adding cheese to the eggs does not hold in my case. It is unfortunate that your markets do not give you a choice.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
You are talking about two separate things. One is doing something because it is popular and the other is doing something to every item so you do not have a choice. The two do not have to go hand in hand. In my markets I can get both injected and non-injected meats so your analogy of adding cheese to the eggs does not hold in my case. It is unfortunate that your markets do not give you a choice.

WOW, it never occured to me to read the ingredients on the meat labels. I guess I better start. I don't want meat that has been injected with saline.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

It also acts as a preservative --------

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

While it's true that the saline injections act as a preservative and, acting as a brine, add flavor, I believe the motivation is monetary. They can charge you chicken prices for salt water.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
Head Chef

Add me to the money motivation side too.
That and preservation means longer shelf life and less waste..

Oh, golly, that means more profit, too! ;)

I absolutely would support a ban on the process.

Tags
None