Sausage Gravy and Biscuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Wasn't sure what topic to put this under, and as the main ingredient is pork sausage, decided to put it here. Mods will change it if I'm incorrect. But anyway, here's the recipe. Note that I use sausage links instead of the usual bulk sausage which is browned and crumbled. By using the links, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds, you get wonderful bite-size pieces of sausage with each bite. And they are small enough to be easily eaten with the biscuit and gravy on each forkfull. I like this texture better, now that I've tried it.

Goodweed's Sausage Gravy

Ingredients:
24 links pork breakfast sausage (sage-flavor)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tsp. rubbed sage
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Milk

Lay out the sausage in parallel rows, with sides touching, on a suitable cutting board. Using a very sharp chef's knife (mine is a 10 incher which made this chore easy), slice the sausage into 1/4 inch pieces. Cook the sliced sausage in two batches, reserving the sausage grease. Combine the cooked sausage in the same pan with the grease, over medium heat, and sprinkle on the flour, and seasonings. Stir until everything is well coated and the flour just begins to brown. Slowly add milk while stirring, until a perfect gravy is formed. By slowly adding the milk, you will be able to achieve the consitancy you desire as the flour, fat, and milk will combine first into a very thick past, and thin out as more liquid is added. Your gravy will be lump free, and full of tasty sausage bites that will please evryone at the table. Serve over halved, rolled biscuits, with some good scrambled eggs. Feeds 5 adults.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Buck loved sausage gravy and biscuits, Bob. So do I. Your recipe is a keeper and the use of the links is a great idea. Thanks.

Wish you lived up here in U.P. Michigan, in our neighborhood. I think that you, me, and my DW would be like family together. You loved Buck so much, and obviously honor his memory every hour of every day. You are a special lady indeed.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I confess to adding Mexican Chorizo to regular country sage sausage for a nice kick-*ss pan of sausage gravy!

I've always used bulk roll sausage GW...Now you have me thinking about dicing up some Andouille...I'm thinking it's gonna be good!!

Oh my! I think that between you, me, and Rob's posts, we may have created a new way of thinking about sausage gravy. I can envision not only your Andouille, but Spanish Chorizo, or pepperoni, or batwurst, knockwurst, Kielbassa, or any other flavorful sausage you can think of. And we don't even have to limit this to sausage. You could use the same technique with chopped corned beef, peppered steak cubes, or....

Wait a minute! With the other meats that aren't suasages, they already exist. I think they call them creamed whatever, or stews, or what's the name of that stuff with cubed beef, mushrooms, noodles, and parmesano regianno cheese, oh, stroganoff. What was I thinking.

But in any case, sausage gravy with any kind of sausage, served on top of Enlish muffins, biscuits, toast, or whatever you want, just sound like a new way of thinking about an old classic. Yum.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

How about using spicy Italian sausage (removing the casings of course)? I haven't tried anything but the usual bulk pork sausage, but GW has me thinking about it now :)

Back
Top Bottom