Slow cooked pork belly and loin - James Martin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcelt

Assistant Cook
On today's Saturday Kitchen (UK BBC - 17 September 2016) James Martin made slow cooked pork belly and loin (as one rolled piece), cooking for for five hours at 150C. He served it with dauphinoise potatoes. I've searched high and low for the recipe but failed to find it.

Can anyone help please?

On today's Saturday Kitchen (UK BBC - 17 September 2016) James Martin made slow cooked pork belly and loin (as one rolled piece), cooking for for five hours at 150C. He served it with dauphinoise potatoes. I've searched high and low for the recipe but failed to find it.

Can anyone help please?

The combination of belly and loin we make is called Porchetta and is roasted in the oven. Martin has several recipes for it. Welcome to DC.

This looks great, have to wait until Beloved Wife goes on a business trip, because she is Jewish.

Think this type of recipe could be adapted to a fatty beef cut? Skirt steak, or rump roast pounded well flat with a meat tenderizer?

Thoughts?

TBS

This looks great, have to wait until Beloved Wife goes on a business trip, because she is Jewish.

Think this type of recipe could be adapted to a fatty beef cut? Skirt steak, or rump roast pounded well flat with a meat tenderizer?

Thoughts?

TBS

Personally, I'd try it exactly as the recipe as a first attempt. That will give you an idea of what might be achieved with changed ingredients.

I'm also in the position of "She who must be obeyed" having different dietary requirements but, luckily for me, she travels widely as she works for an international charity organisation.

I'm also in the position of "She who must be obeyed" having different dietary requirements but, luckily for me, she travels widely as she works for an international charity organisation.

My Beloved Wife is gentle about it, and we have a negotiated treaty about shellfish, we don't want to go full Kosher, and both adore seafood. But I avoid pork with her about, and I do our food buying and cooking, a deal I negotiated which involves her as responsible for laundry; great trade in my book.

There are such excellent pork recipes, and the one thing that kills me is that pork is usually on sale, but heck, small sacrifice for the married bliss.

I kind of like being in charge of cooking and food, I know what is in the fridge and freezer, and Beloved Wife is kind of banned from my kitchen without permission, particularly after the pancake incident last year, I mean how does one even get burned pancake batter on the ceiling?

TBS

As best as I can CSI it, the batter started to burn, 'cause the heat was on too high, and she was using the cast iron skillet, and did not realize that the handle gets quite hot, so there was an ouchie, combined with a kind of desperate throwing of the skillet. which ended up spraying somewhat burnt, somewhat raw pancake batter quite over everything, destroying a cabinet door (they don't like being hit by a Lodge cast iron skillet thrown near as hard as a 32 year old woman can throw it), some dished behind it, and an accommodation that I am in charge of the kitchen. I will cook to order (just give me lead time for ingredients), but Beloved wife can use the kettle, with some supervision.

TBS

That sounds like a great recipe, but I have no idea where in the States you would get a pork loin with the belly attached. Now I saw pork belly for sale at Trader Joe's just the other day, but the package didn't say anything about a pork loin coming with it.

You would probably have to go to a real butcher. There's one near me where I went to a demonstration of breaking down a half hog. We also had the opportunity to purchase any of the parts at a discount. That's where I bought the pork fat I made into lard we talked about a few months ago.

You might also be able to order it at some high-end grocery stores. I wouldn't expect to find it in the meat case.

That sounds like a great recipe, but I have no idea where in the States you would get a pork loin with the belly attached. Now I saw pork belly for sale at Trader Joe's just the other day, but the package didn't say anything about a pork loin coming with it.

They don't have to come attached. You can wrap the loin in the belly and tie it. That's the way I most often see it prepared on TV.

They don't have to come attached. You can wrap the loin in the belly and tie it. That's the way I most often see it prepared on TV.

That's the way I do it. I've made them several times as Craig just loves porchetta. Leftovers make great fried rice, shaved thinly can be used for sammies. The thin slices also make an excellent pizza topping. I still want to try a pizza with porchetta slices and an egg broken onto the pizza, then maybe some arugula on top after it comes out/off the pizza oven/grill. You can also make a whole pork belly porchetta.

I'd say that this is a cut you have to order in advance from a traditional butcher. Thank goodness we have several in our vicinity.
Ken

Hmmm...OK, thanks, I'll put this one on the list.

It should be obvious, but is pork belly the same thing as sow belly?

From what I can tell, pork belly is the untreated cut from the hog. Sowbelly is salt pork from the belly, and bacon is the (usually) cured, smoked belly, although one definition defined sowbelly as salt pork or bacon.

sowbelly

[sou-bel-ee]*

noun

1. fat salt pork taken from the belly of a hog.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/sowbelly

Is anyone else reminded a bit of the pork belly futures scene from the classic Dan Akryoyd Eddy Murphy film, Trading Places, one of the best movies set and shot in Philadelphia? Or am I just weird.

TBS

Is anyone else reminded a bit of the pork belly futures scene from the classic Dan Akryoyd Eddy Murphy film, Trading Places, one of the best movies set and shot in Philadelphia? Or am I just weird.

TBS

No comment on the weird bit, but yeah, it came to mind. Now all we need is the frozen concentrated orange juice futures and we are set to make a killing... :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom