"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 09-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Slow cooked pork belly and loin - James Martin

On today's Saturday Kitchen (UK BBC - 17 September 2016) James Martin made slow cooked pork belly and loin (as one rolled piece), cooking for for five hours at 150C. He served it with dauphinoise potatoes. I've searched high and low for the recipe but failed to find it.

Can anyone help please?

Old 09-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcelt View Post
On today's Saturday Kitchen (UK BBC - 17 September 2016) James Martin made slow cooked pork belly and loin (as one rolled piece), cooking for for five hours at 150C. He served it with dauphinoise potatoes. I've searched high and low for the recipe but failed to find it.

Can anyone help please?
The combination of belly and loin we make is called Porchetta and is roasted in the oven. Martin has several recipes for it. Welcome to DC.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
Wine Guy

Welcome to DC! Could this be the recipe?

BBC Food - Recipes - Chestnut, sage and onion stuffed pork loin with dauphinoise potatoes
Old 09-17-2016, 01:23 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Brilliant - thanks a million. I obviously used the wrong search combination in Google!

Ken
Old 09-17-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
Senior Cook

This looks great, have to wait until Beloved Wife goes on a business trip, because she is Jewish.

Think this type of recipe could be adapted to a fatty beef cut? Skirt steak, or rump roast pounded well flat with a meat tenderizer?

Thoughts?

TBS
Old 09-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
This looks great, have to wait until Beloved Wife goes on a business trip, because she is Jewish.

Think this type of recipe could be adapted to a fatty beef cut? Skirt steak, or rump roast pounded well flat with a meat tenderizer?

Thoughts?

TBS
Personally, I'd try it exactly as the recipe as a first attempt. That will give you an idea of what might be achieved with changed ingredients.

I'm also in the position of "She who must be obeyed" having different dietary requirements but, luckily for me, she travels widely as she works for an international charity organisation.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcelt View Post
I'm also in the position of "She who must be obeyed" having different dietary requirements but, luckily for me, she travels widely as she works for an international charity organisation.
My Beloved Wife is gentle about it, and we have a negotiated treaty about shellfish, we don't want to go full Kosher, and both adore seafood. But I avoid pork with her about, and I do our food buying and cooking, a deal I negotiated which involves her as responsible for laundry; great trade in my book.

There are such excellent pork recipes, and the one thing that kills me is that pork is usually on sale, but heck, small sacrifice for the married bliss.

I kind of like being in charge of cooking and food, I know what is in the fridge and freezer, and Beloved Wife is kind of banned from my kitchen without permission, particularly after the pancake incident last year, I mean how does one even get burned pancake batter on the ceiling?

TBS
Old 09-17-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
........ I mean how does one even get burned pancake batter on the ceiling?

TBS
The imagination boggeles!
Old 09-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #9
Senior Cook

As best as I can CSI it, the batter started to burn, 'cause the heat was on too high, and she was using the cast iron skillet, and did not realize that the handle gets quite hot, so there was an ouchie, combined with a kind of desperate throwing of the skillet. which ended up spraying somewhat burnt, somewhat raw pancake batter quite over everything, destroying a cabinet door (they don't like being hit by a Lodge cast iron skillet thrown near as hard as a 32 year old woman can throw it), some dished behind it, and an accommodation that I am in charge of the kitchen. I will cook to order (just give me lead time for ingredients), but Beloved wife can use the kettle, with some supervision.

TBS
Old 09-17-2016, 06:33 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post

That sounds like a great recipe, but I have no idea where in the States you would get a pork loin with the belly attached. Now I saw pork belly for sale at Trader Joe's just the other day, but the package didn't say anything about a pork loin coming with it.

Tags
cook, jam, other, pork, potatoes