"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 07-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
It's going to be a Pulled Pork Party!
With Margaritas.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
With Margaritas.
Well if you really insist TL!! (Love that Smiley btw!)

And the results are in:

In a word - Fabulous! (Which is just as well as my brother and I have been living with wondrous smells all day and I was getting a bit nervous towards the end that it wouldn't live up to the promise!)

The flavour of the pork was delicious and it had enough "heat" to make it zingy without blowing my head off. Obviously it was also utterly tender - though I didn't succeed in "shredding" it properly. It was more like small chunks - but none the worse for that I feel.

I served it in soft tortillas as planned and kept things really simple by adding sliced spring onions, sliced avocado, shredded lettuce, some of the onions and juice from the pot, a little lime juice and a dollop of sour cream. The pic attached isn't pretty, but obviously it was rolled up, so presentation wasn't the objective - plus I was in a hurry to try it!

I've used up the slightly smaller of the two pieces, so plenty left and I suspect it may feature in tomorrow's menu rather than going into the freezer.

So thank you GG for a brilliant and fool-proof recipe - much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PPork.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	18355  

Old 07-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I think it looks delicious, Katy! Congrats, it seems we have a new convert to CP pulled pork!
Old 07-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I think it looks delicious, Katy! Congrats, it seems we have a new convert to CP pulled pork!
Aw! Thanks DL! And yes - definitely a convert! All these years I have been looking at pulled pork being made on shows like "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" where they put half a pig into an industrial size BBQ and thinking "well I can't do that in my flat".

I know I'm missing the "smokey" aspect (and I will definitely try this when I next make it to the US) but this recipe has to be pretty close (and the smoked paprika helps of course.)
Old 07-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
With Margaritas.
You DO know you're contributing to my drinking problem, don't you? Every time you say "margaritas" I get a taste for them. Good thing my grocery store has limes on special and the adult beverage store has tequila on sale. The 1.75 liter bottle has a $5 rebate. That would get me a LOT of limes.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

Aw! Thanks DL! And yes - definitely a convert! All these years I have been looking at pulled pork being made on shows like "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" where they put half a pig into an industrial size BBQ and thinking "well I can't do that in my flat".

I know I'm missing the "smokey" aspect (and I will definitely try this when I next make it to the US) but this recipe has to be pretty close (and the smoked paprika helps of course.)
Try it with some barbeque sauce on the leftovers tomorrow. Yum!
Old 07-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Try it with some barbeque sauce on the leftovers tomorrow. Yum!
I'd entirely forgotten about the BBQ sauce!

So - piled onto a soft bun with more of the juice, cooked onion and a dollop of BBQ sauce - what do you reckon?
Old 07-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

I'd entirely forgotten about the BBQ sauce!

So - piled onto a soft bun with more of the juice, cooked onion and a dollop of BBQ sauce - what do you reckon?
And pickles! And coleslaw! And more BBQ sauce! And more pulled pork! And potato salad on the side! Oh, and some chips/crisps!

(can you tell I'm excited for you?)
Old 07-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
And pickles! And coleslaw! And more BBQ sauce! And more pulled pork! And potato salad on the side!

Ooh, coleslaw is a good idea. And I love potato salad.

Now, as for "pickles" I have a feeling we may need to clarify as I think there is a "cross pond" difference!

"Pickles" to me is a generic term for any vegetable that has been pickled in vinegar - pickled onions, pickled beetroot and pickled gherkins are the most popular. (And of course there is the wonderful piccalilli.)

What "pickles" would you put with pulled pork DL?
Old 07-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

Ooh, coleslaw is a good idea. And I love potato salad.

Now, as for "pickles" I have a feeling we may need to clarify as I think there is a "cross pond" difference!

"Pickles" to me is a generic term for any vegetable that has been pickled in vinegar - pickled onions, pickled beetroot and pickled gherkins are the most popular. (And of course there is the wonderful piccalilli.)

What "pickles" would you put with pulled pork DL?
Sour dill cucumbers, we can get the big or the baby ones, we can also get them pre-sliced. Sweet gherkins would also be nice. Vlasic is a reliable brand here, nice and crisp.

You can put the coleslaw in the sandwich, or serve it on the side, same with the dill pickles. Oh, and baked beans!

Tags
recipe, pork, slow cooker

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork [B][SIZE=3]Slow Cooker Pulled Pork[/SIZE][/B] [B]Spice Mix (adapted from Cooks Illustrated)[/B] 4 tablespoons smoked paprika 2 tablespoons table salt 2 tablespoons chili powder 2 tablespoons ground cumin 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed 1 tablespoon garlic powder 1 tablespoon ground black pepper 1 tablespoon dried oregano 1 tablespoon granulated sugar 1 tablespoon ground white pepper 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper Combine thoroughly in a small bowl. Any remaining spice mix can be stored for several months in an air-tight container. [B]Pork [/B] 3-4 lb. pork shoulder roast 1 yellow onion 1 cup apple cider vinegar Cut the roast into two pieces, to provide more surface area for the spice mix, then massage the spices all over the pork. I start with about a half cup of the rub and put it in a separate container to avoid contaminating the original container (there will probably be some spice mix left over). Refrigerate the meat in a plastic bag overnight. In the morning, take it out of the fridge to warm up a little. Peel and slice a yellow onion, place it in the bottom of the slow cooker, and put the roast on top. Then pour a cup of apple cider vinegar into the pot, being careful not to wash the rub off the pork. Cook for 8-10 hours, turning once, till fork-tender. Turn off the slow cooker and remove the pork to a large bowl, to cool slightly. Use two forks to remove the fat and pull the pork into shreds. Pour 1/2 cup of the liquid (vinegar plus drippings and any rendered fat) into a cup measure and refrigerate to make the fat congeal on top; remove and discard the fat. The liquid may be used to moisten the pork, if necessary, or to make a sauce. Serving suggestions: Mix pork with your favorite barbecue sauce and serve on burger buns with cole slaw. Or, mix pork with salsa and use to fill tacos, burritos or enchiladas, along with your favorite Mexican toppings. 3 stars 1 reviews