Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pulled pork

Thank you so much for the recipes, advice, etc. I have a large terracotta pot with lid that would take a large piece of pork shoulder on the bone (liquid capacity 5 1/2 pints. It's 1/4 inch thick and it's wonderful for slow cooking. I can use it with charcoal, in a conventional oven or wood burning stove. For using charcoal I would bury it in charcoal (with lid on upside down, providing a good rounded bowl to hold charcoal over the top). I'm thinking of doing that, but one question: do you seal the lid with a flour and water paste or not?

It sounds wonderful, I know my OH would love it. The spices sound fabulous!

Many thanks to all of you

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde:yum::yum:

tl, it's just braising, whatever the heat source. When it's smoked, it's in the open air and still comes out tender. I think it will be fine without sealing the lid. I don't seal the slow cooker lid.

When a pork butt (shoulder) is used to make pulled pork on a smoker, it's not in a sealed vessel. It's just put on the smoker rack. It is essentially slow roasted. I do that in the oven as well. You don't need to simulate the slow cooker environment to get good results.

Following GG's recipe will give you a tasty pulled pork. If you slow roast it instead, you get the added benefit of a nice crust or "bark" to mix into the pulled meat.

tl, it's just braising, whatever the heat source. When it's smoked, it's in the open air and still comes out tender. I think it will be fine without sealing the lid. I don't seal the slow cooker lid.
I don't know enough about that type of cooking. My concern would be stuff falling into the pot.

Hm. I think, with the bowl shape di mentioned, that stuff would stay on top until the lid was moved, and at that point, it wouldn't matter whether it was sealed or not. One would just have to be careful when removing the lid, which she probably is if she cooks that way regularly.

Sorry to talk about you as if you're not here, di :)

Hm. I think, with the bowl shape di mentioned, that stuff would stay on top until the lid was moved, and at that point, it wouldn't matter whether it was sealed or not. One would just have to be careful when removing the lid, which she probably is if she cooks that way regularly.

Sorry to talk about you as if you're not here, di :)
I was concerned about moving the pot with the lid on. One might want to move it off the charcoals before fiddling with the lid and then it could slip. Or the lid could slip while trying not to get burned because the pot wasn't removed from the charcoal. The flour and water seal would help stabilize the lid. I might be completely wrong. That's why I thought it would be good if we could get Hoot to chime in.

Back
Top Bottom