"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 01-20-2016, 09:03 AM   #81
Senior Cook

Pulled pork

Thank you so much for the recipes, advice, etc. I have a large terracotta pot with lid that would take a large piece of pork shoulder on the bone (liquid capacity 5 1/2 pints. It's 1/4 inch thick and it's wonderful for slow cooking. I can use it with charcoal, in a conventional oven or wood burning stove. For using charcoal I would bury it in charcoal (with lid on upside down, providing a good rounded bowl to hold charcoal over the top). I'm thinking of doing that, but one question: do you seal the lid with a flour and water paste or not?

It sounds wonderful, I know my OH would love it. The spices sound fabulous!

Many thanks to all of you

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Old 01-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, I've never cooked that way before, but a little evaporation won't hurt it. I don't think you need to seal it.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Di Reston, I think the person to ask about cooking it with charcoal would be Hoot. He does some fairly primitive camp cooking.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:06 PM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

tl, it's just braising, whatever the heat source. When it's smoked, it's in the open air and still comes out tender. I think it will be fine without sealing the lid. I don't seal the slow cooker lid.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #85
Certified Pretend Chef

When a pork butt (shoulder) is used to make pulled pork on a smoker, it's not in a sealed vessel. It's just put on the smoker rack. It is essentially slow roasted. I do that in the oven as well. You don't need to simulate the slow cooker environment to get good results.

Following GG's recipe will give you a tasty pulled pork. If you slow roast it instead, you get the added benefit of a nice crust or "bark" to mix into the pulled meat.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
tl, it's just braising, whatever the heat source. When it's smoked, it's in the open air and still comes out tender. I think it will be fine without sealing the lid. I don't seal the slow cooker lid.
I don't know enough about that type of cooking. My concern would be stuff falling into the pot.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

What stuff?
Old 01-20-2016, 04:49 PM   #88
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
What stuff?
Ash and charcoal that has been piled on top of the inverted lid.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:16 PM   #89
Chef Extraordinaire

Hm. I think, with the bowl shape di mentioned, that stuff would stay on top until the lid was moved, and at that point, it wouldn't matter whether it was sealed or not. One would just have to be careful when removing the lid, which she probably is if she cooks that way regularly.

Sorry to talk about you as if you're not here, di
Old 01-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hm. I think, with the bowl shape di mentioned, that stuff would stay on top until the lid was moved, and at that point, it wouldn't matter whether it was sealed or not. One would just have to be careful when removing the lid, which she probably is if she cooks that way regularly.

Sorry to talk about you as if you're not here, di
I was concerned about moving the pot with the lid on. One might want to move it off the charcoals before fiddling with the lid and then it could slip. Or the lid could slip while trying not to get burned because the pot wasn't removed from the charcoal. The flour and water seal would help stabilize the lid. I might be completely wrong. That's why I thought it would be good if we could get Hoot to chime in.

Tags
recipe, pork, slow cooker

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork [B][SIZE=3]Slow Cooker Pulled Pork[/SIZE][/B] [B]Spice Mix (adapted from Cooks Illustrated)[/B] 4 tablespoons smoked paprika 2 tablespoons table salt 2 tablespoons chili powder 2 tablespoons ground cumin 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed 1 tablespoon garlic powder 1 tablespoon ground black pepper 1 tablespoon dried oregano 1 tablespoon granulated sugar 1 tablespoon ground white pepper 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper Combine thoroughly in a small bowl. Any remaining spice mix can be stored for several months in an air-tight container. [B]Pork [/B] 3-4 lb. pork shoulder roast 1 yellow onion 1 cup apple cider vinegar Cut the roast into two pieces, to provide more surface area for the spice mix, then massage the spices all over the pork. I start with about a half cup of the rub and put it in a separate container to avoid contaminating the original container (there will probably be some spice mix left over). Refrigerate the meat in a plastic bag overnight. In the morning, take it out of the fridge to warm up a little. Peel and slice a yellow onion, place it in the bottom of the slow cooker, and put the roast on top. Then pour a cup of apple cider vinegar into the pot, being careful not to wash the rub off the pork. Cook for 8-10 hours, turning once, till fork-tender. Turn off the slow cooker and remove the pork to a large bowl, to cool slightly. Use two forks to remove the fat and pull the pork into shreds. Pour 1/2 cup of the liquid (vinegar plus drippings and any rendered fat) into a cup measure and refrigerate to make the fat congeal on top; remove and discard the fat. The liquid may be used to moisten the pork, if necessary, or to make a sauce. Serving suggestions: Mix pork with your favorite barbecue sauce and serve on burger buns with cole slaw. Or, mix pork with salsa and use to fill tacos, burritos or enchiladas, along with your favorite Mexican toppings. 3 stars 1 reviews