Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pickles is used as a noun in these parts Katy, and always means pickled cucumbers in various cuts or left whole. There are naturally other veggies and even meats that are pickled, in that case pickled is used as a verb, such as pickled beets.

Hope I didn't step on Dawgs paws but I like sliced "bread and butter" pickles on my sandwich. I have no idea why they're called "bread and butter pickles" but they're a little sweet and spicy, and sliced.

Last edited:
Pickles is used as a noun in these parts Katy, and always means pickled cucumbers in various cuts or left whole. There are naturally other veggies and even meats that are pickled, in that case pickled is used as a verb, such as pickled beets.

Hope I didn't step on Dawgs paws but I like sliced pickles on my sandwich.

:LOL: Sorry, should have mentioned we always slice our dills on our sammies too.

I make refrigerator/ freezer cucumber pickles that are sweet and spicy, they're also good with PP.

Last edited:
Sour dill cucumbers, we can get the big or the baby ones, we can also get them pre-sliced. Sweet gherkins would also be nice. Vlasic is a reliable brand here, nice and crisp.

You can put the coleslaw in the sandwich, or serve it on the side, same with the dill pickles. Oh, and baked beans!

Ah ha! Okay, I have pickled "cornichons" in my fridge - which are basically baby pickled gherkins/cucumbers. I had a feeling that is what you meant, but it's always worth checking. No problem adding them! :yum:

However, I will have to draw the line at baked beans - there is only so much I can eat in one sitting! :LOL:

Hope I didn't step on Dawgs paws but I like sliced "bread and butter" pickles on my sandwich. I have no idea why they're called "bread and butter pickles" but they're a little sweet and spicy, and sliced.

Got it! ;) "pickles = what I would call sliced gherkin" Thanks Kayelle!

Last edited:
Katy, those pickles are probably super sweet. At least the one's I buy are. The dill ones that Dawg mentioned are without any sweetener, possibly with garlic (Kosher style) or or without (Polish style). They also have something here in New England they call "half-sour". I call them half-done.

"Pickles" can also mean a certain type of cucumber, a shorter, firmer one used in making dill or sweet pickles. Lastly, "Pickles" is the name of one of my friend's cats. ;)

Have we "pickled" your brain yet? :wacko:

Katy, those pickles are probably super sweet. At least the one's I buy are. The dill ones that Dawg mentioned are without any sweetener, possibly with garlic (Kosher style) or or without (Polish style). They also have something here in New England they call "half-sour". I call them half-done.

"Pickles" can also mean a certain type of cucumber, a shorter, firmer one used in making dill or sweet pickles. Lastly, "Pickles" is the name of one of my friend's cats. ;)

Have we "pickled" your brain yet? :wacko:

You are having a good stab at it CG!! :ROFLMAO:

But not to worry - my pickled gherkins are in the sour vinegar with dill. ;) (I am not fond of the sweet variety)

Oh and by the way, I now know the REAL reason it is called "pulled pork"! It's because when it is sitting there all innocent and cooked and tender, it is very easy to keep going to it and pulling bits off it! :doh: (There may not be much left for tomorrow....):blush:

:yum:

So thank you GG for a brilliant and fool-proof recipe - much appreciated! :flowers:

I'm thrilled you liked it! :) And you've gotten great advice on ways to enjoy the rest. It is great stuff, btw, some people like it pulled and some like it chopped. It's all good :yum:

Last edited:
I'm thrilled you liked it! :) And you've gotten great advice on ways to enjoy the rest. It is great stuff, btw, some people like it pulled and some like it chopped. It's all good :yum:

I just told my brother (let's call him O) that we are having more pulled pork tomorrow - with coleslaw and potato salad. (and "pickles") ;) He is (would you believe), not very upset! :)

It's a great recipe GG. And you were absolutely right - cheese would have added nothing at all to it. (And I very rarely say that about cheese!) So thanks very much. :)

:doh: I forgot about the pork in the fridge. I just now got in the slow cooker. Is it supposed to be on "low"?

There is one very disappointed Stirling.

You can cook it on high, did that with the last one I made. It turned out fine.

I was surprised at how quickly mine got done. Maybe Stirling won't be disappointed! You could also cut it into smaller chunks, or take some of it out and save for later.

Last edited:
I was surprised at how quickly mine got done. Maybe Stirling won't be disappointed! You could also cut it into smaller chunks, or take some of it out and save for later.
It was ready about 20h30. It's delicious. Stirling had already eaten because he only got five hours sleep and wants to go to bed early. He did get a taste and pronounced it a success.

Katy, that looks amazing :yum:

So pleased it all turned out well and that you all loved it :)

And the results are in:

In a word - Fabulous! (Which is just as well as my brother and I have been living with wondrous smells all day and I was getting a bit nervous towards the end that it wouldn't live up to the promise!) :ermm:

The flavour of the pork was delicious and it had enough "heat" to make it zingy without blowing my head off. Obviously it was also utterly tender - though I didn't succeed in "shredding" it properly. It was more like small chunks - but none the worse for that I feel.

I served it in soft tortillas as planned and kept things really simple by adding sliced spring onions, sliced avocado, shredded lettuce, some of the onions and juice from the pot, a little lime juice and a dollop of sour cream. The pic attached isn't pretty, but obviously it was rolled up, so presentation wasn't the objective - plus I was in a hurry to try it!

I've used up the slightly smaller of the two pieces, so plenty left and I suspect it may feature in tomorrow's menu rather than going into the freezer. :yum:

I had actually never done anything with a pork shoulder before doing this recipe.

Pork shoulders are not very inspiring but they are cheap (in the UK anyway), and this recipe is a terrific way of getting the best out of them. :)

I can quite honestly say that pulling the meat off a properly cooked shoulder is a genuinely pleasant thing! (You get to snaffle some as you go....) Oops, did I say that out loud? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom