Slow-Roasted Bone-In Pork Loin - CI vs Serious Eats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I've been looking for the best way to cook a bone-in pork rib roast, and found two very similar recipes from Cook's Illustrated ("Slow-Roasted Bone-In Pork Rib Roast" https://www.cooksillustrated.com/re...ref=new_search_experience_18&incode=MCSCD00L0) and Serious Eats (Pork Loin Roast With Winter Vegetables Recipe | Serious Eats) ... both call for a 4-5 lb bone-in roast, 250° oven temperature. But the Cook's Illustrated version says this will take 3-4 hours (cooked to 145°) and Serious Eats says about 2 hours (cooked to 140°). I can't imagine the 5° would make a 2 hour difference in the estimated cook time...?

Since this would have a significant impact on timing of dinner... which would you assume to be more correct?

Faced with this dilemma, I'd check the internal temperature after 2 hours then keep checking it periodically until it reached 140ºF. Then I'd pull it out and let it rest.

I'm with Andy. I use my Chef Alarm probe and set it to alarm about 10 degrees before it's supposed to be done so I can double check it with my Thermapen in a couple of places to verify what I got with the probe. A good quality thermometer is essential for foods like that, because as you have discovered, going by time just doesn't work. For me, 1½ to 2 hours at 300° is about typical for a bone in pork shoulder roast, but the time is always approximate.

Last edited:
I'm with Andy. I use my Chef Alarm probe and set it to alarm about 10 degrees before it's supposed to be done so I can double check it with my Thermapen in a couple of places to verify what I got with the probe. A good quality thermometer is essential for foods like that, because as you have discovered, going by time just doesn't work. For me, 1½ to 2 hours at 300° is about typical for a bone in pork shoulder roast, but the time is always approximate.

One and a half to two hours for a shoulder roast? Interesting. crankin is asking about a pork loin roast, which should be done faster than a shoulder, since there's much less fat and collagen that has to render.

I can't explain the wide difference between the two recipes, but I have cooked a three-pound boneless pork loin roast and it's done in about an hour. I think two hours for the larger bone-in roast is reasonable, and I agree that an instant-read or probe thermometer is essential. My oven has a feature where I can set the desired end temp and place a probe in the meat, so it will sound an alarm when it reaches that temp.

I'd give it 15 minutes on high (450-500) then lower the heat and roast it to 145 on the probe.
If you do a reverse sear, start low and only take it to 140 before cranking the heat. Or you could do it sous vide and finish on high.

One and a half to two hours for a shoulder roast? Interesting. crankin is asking about a pork loin roast, which should be done faster than a shoulder, since there's much less fat and collagen that has to render.

I can't explain the wide difference between the two recipes, but I have cooked a three-pound boneless pork loin roast and it's done in about an hour. I think two hours for the larger bone-in roast is reasonable, and I agree that an instant-read or probe thermometer is essential. My oven has a feature where I can set the desired end temp and place a probe in the meat, so it will sound an alarm when it reaches that temp.

It depends on what I'm after. If I want a roast that I can slice, then it's hotter and a shorter time. If I want one to shred, then it's low and slow. I don't do loin roasts very often because they they are too much like chicken breast... hard to get done properly without drying out.

Whatever cut it is, I only cook bone in pork roasts. I'm not a fan of the current popularity of boneless meats. Bone in adds flavor and seems to have more fat for moistness. I only buy split chicken breasts too, never boneless, skinless.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom