Spam®

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I think adding the pineapple cream cheese spread would be delish.

About "so much before your time."..................:LOL:

Hey, it was maybe 14 1/2 seconds before my time - but STILL before my time nonetheless! :LOL::-p:angel:

I might just have to try it the next gathering we have! :chef:

As it's getting cooler, it's getting to be time for Spam sandwiches for us, too. We like to treat it like ham, browning 1/4-inch thick slices in a bit of oil in a skillet, then putting it on toasted bread with mayo, yellow mustard for me and brown mustard for DH, lettuce and tomatoes. Yum. Y'all are making me hungry for Spam :)

Wow, this is great. My sil just sent us a case of Spam plus two cans.

Why? I have no idea. We are OK with Spam, but 14 cans for the pair of us?

There is not just regular Spam but also cheese Spam, hot and spicey Spam and garlic Spam. Yep, garlic Spam I kid you not. There are others I think but those are what I remember and I am too lazy to go downstairs and investigate.

We will make, and love, sandwiches with fried Spam to which we then add cold kimchee (don't fry the kimchee with the Spam - blech, blech, a thousand times blech).

Love the idea of the Spam salad. that sounds really good. Would probably add some onions to the mix. Could even use it as an appy with crackers.

IC's idea of the water, soy sauce, sugar sounds great.

Anyway am very happy this thread showed up at the moment.

WE NEED SPAM HELP.

LOL.

We like Spam, and Turkey Spam as well. We usually buy the light variety, with reduced fat & sodium.
We like it just about any way, really...fried up, as mentioned above, and topped with cheese for sandwiches...ground it up for Spam salad, as Katie described, except with sweet pickle relish and cheese in it...fried with eggs, etc.
I have also sliced it into matchsticks, fried until crispy, and used in a frittata. It's also good threaded cubes on a skewer with pineapple chunks and grilled lightly for a nice appetizer.
I'm going to try Iron Chef's Spam fried rice. That looks yummy.

The coolest thing about Spam is that it's always there when you need it.

Pilipinos eat as much Spam as Hawaiians do, maybe more. It's a World War II, G.I. Joe thing. They're real big on American chocolate, too.

Of course, it's much more expensive in the P.I. than in Hawaii. My ex-wife always includes cans of Spam and boxes of Hershey bars in her balikyabang box when she goes back to visit.

It seems like no menu out here is complete without some Spam dish, especially breakfast but I haver taken quite a liking to the Portuguese Sausage. I like Spam and prefer it on a sandwich, crispy with lettuce, tomato, and a hard fried egg, all on plain ol' white bread.

The little "spam sushi" looking thingys I see in the heat lamps at the ABC Stores sketch me out a little though, not the concept of it, but just 'cause I have NO idea how long they have been there,lol.

I bought some of that Portuguese sausage at a sale the meatpacker was having at the Long Beach Naval Base commisary way back in 19-Forgotten. It tasted a lot like fried baloney to me.

That was always my favorite sandwich spread and now it is James' also. I like mine with Miracle Whip and dill pickles.
I can't believe I said dill! I like dill for just about everything else, but for this it has to be sweet pickles for James and me!

:)Barbara

So now of course, with all this talk about Spam, & the chilly (by comparison) temps we had here this morning (41), I just had to crack open a can of turkey Spam & fry it up with some eggs for this morning's breakfast!!!

You know, I've found that there doesn't seem to be a lot of quality control as far as the saltiness goes - regardless of the type of Spam (regular, turkey, honey-roasted, etc.).

We went off turkey Spam for awhile because we had a can that was uber-salty. Then tried it again several months later & it was terrific. I've had the same experience with regular Spam. If it happens again, I'll contact Hormel. At the very least I'll probably end up with some coupons for free Spam - lol!!!

Turkey spam? Would that be lower in calories? I hardly ever eat spam because it is a little high in fat. But I love to treat myself once in awhile. I like toasting bread, mayo, and a slice of cold spam. Perfect!!!:)

Turkey Spam

Yes - it definitely is. I recently used up my last can on egg, cheddar, & turkey Spam breakfast sandwiches this morning (otherwise I'd give you the particulars here), & can definitely tell you that it's delicious. In fact, I'm sure one of the reason's the Spam folks came out with turkey Spam was to appeal to folks on low fat &/or low sodium diets.

Not as salty as regular Spam, but just as tasty - at least in my (& husband's) opinion.:) Give it a try - what have you got to lose?

Last edited:
Could anyone tell me what exactly is spam made from? I have never had it, or any kind of canned meat for that matter. Is it really meat? Please excuse my ignorance!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom