Spam®

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regular Spam (& all it's different varieties, "Honey Roasted", etc.) is made from ground pork, which is seasoned & then formed into a small loaf - like some varieties of deli/luncheon meat. For the turkey Spam, they simply substitute ground turkey for the pork.

Originally SPAM was regular ham then they made a turkey version. Sort of like turkey bacon which is turkey that is seasoned, shaped and smoked like real bacon.

I know this thread is positively ancient, but I'm a mainlander with an affinity for Hawaiian-style Spam, so I thought I'd chime in.

I do it pretty simply. Slice thin, let marinate in Aloha Shoyu for half an hour, then cook in hot pan with a tiny bit of oil until crispy on the outside and browned.

Then I generally bust out my mold and make my Musubi! I like my Musubis with nori furkiake, the requisite nori binder, the requisite rice, and some diced/shredded kimchi on top. Nothing beats the combination of salty/fatty shoyu spam and briny/sour/spicy kimchi.

My mom used to bake it like a ham and she would cover it with a brwon sugar/yellow mustard glaze. It was good! I also like it fried crispy in slices. I haven't had SPAM in a long time. Now that it's just the two of us at home, I may start again. One can would be the perfect size for us.

I knew a guy in college that would eat two cans worth of Spam with like 3-4 scoops of white rice in one sitting. But this was the same guy that would eat 4 cans of Vienna sausage in one sitting also.

my mom used to make us spam sandwiches when i was a kid, brooklyn style.

that is the spam slices were lightly fried, then served on either rye with raw onions and spicy brown mustard, or on white bread, with mayo and iceberg lettuce.

i made a spam, onions, and mushroom omelette for dw recently, and she loved it thinking that it was taylor ham. i didn't bother to tell her the truth about the mystery meat. :angel:

I julienned some Spam one day, fried it up until it was crispy and used it in a frittata. It tasted delicious, and would be good in a lot of things prepared that way (scalloped potatoes, rice dishes, pizza, salad or baked potato topping, pasta).
I have been buying Spam Lite for several years, so I don't feel so guilty about eating it. It has less fat and sodium, but you won't miss it.

Hmmm...I may have a fried Spam and cheese sandwich with a big slice of tomato on it for supper tonight.

I knew a guy in college that would eat two cans worth of Spam with like 3-4 scoops of white rice in one sitting. But this was the same guy that would eat 4 cans of Vienna sausage in one sitting also.

holy-cow.jpg

That's nuts. I never get through more than 2-3 slices at a time, too much salty porky-ness. I hit the same wall with Longanisa, I can't power through more than about 2-3 links in a sitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's nuts. I never get through more than 2-3 slices at a time, too much salty porky-ness. I hit the same wall with Longanisa, I can't power through more than about 2-3 links in a sitting.
I can make a can disappear in 10 minutes flat!
(probably not something to be proud of tho...):blush:

My best Spam story is when I was in middle school, (7th grade) and several of us guys decided to cut school for the day. We ended up hanging in the woods, miserable because we were bored, eating spam that we heated over a wood fire on tree branch sticks....

When I was growing up, my mother would slice Spam about 1/2 inch thick, dip in egg and milk then cracker crumbs, fry till brown. That was the meat for dinner (sometimes). My older sister (rip) and I would eat it sliced, room temperature on white bread with mustard. Oh, we would get in trouble for making a sandwiches out of what was to be the meat for a meal for the whole family.
I will now have to buy some payday and try it with mircle whip and Sweet Relish.

My best Spam story is when I was in middle school, (7th grade) and several of us guys decided to cut school for the day. We ended up hanging in the woods, miserable because we were bored, eating spam that we heated over a wood fire on tree branch sticks....
That's funny:ROFLMAO:

my mother served it once to us fried and could not believe we wouldn't eat it.......not fried not in any way, form, or fashion.......still won't ........Dad couldn't believe that we wouldn't eat fried bologna either........

Back
Top Bottom