Spam®

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love spam- I don't use often anymore as I'm the only one in the house that likes it
Spam sammys- slice it brown each slide, bread and a spicy mustard
Spam and scallop potatoes.
Spam added to mac and cheese

got to go buy a can now made myself hungry

I might have told this in another thread but a couple of summers ago I cooked at a camp where we would have 600 people at each meal during the summer months. Just prior to this we had a family retreat for about 400 and it had a Hawaiian theme. My manager wanted to go "authentic" with the food so one of the items for the main dinner that weekend was "spam fried rice". I got the job of cutting up 24 cans of Spam into 1/4 inch dice. By the time I finished there was no way I could eat the stuff, even though as a kid my Mom made Spam sandwiches and even Spam hash! 24 cans is a lot of Spam!

I came across this recipe about 23 years ago.
I know this sandwich sounds a bit strange, being Spam and all,
but I have to admit it's not a bad tasting sandwich.
It's the only thing I've ever made with Spam.

Barbecued Spam Sandwiches

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Minutes
Ready In: 20 Minutes
Yields: 4 servings

1 (12 ounce) container fully cooked Spam luncheon meat
1-1/2 cups barbeque sauce
1 cup prepared coleslaw
1 loaf French bread, cut into 4 pieces, split and toasted

Slice the lunch meat into thin slices.
Combine the sliced lunch meat and bbq sauce in a large skillet over medium heat.
Cook until heated through.
Spoon meat and sauce onto the bottom halves of the toasted bread.
Top with coleslaw, and then the other half of the pieces of bread.

I was attacked on another board for my enjoyment of SPAM. The fellow had a problem with the ingredients in SPAM, which he referred to as "mystery meat." I said it was nothing more than "Chopped pork shoulder with ham added, salt, water sugar and sodium nitrite," but he wouldn't leave it alone, stating that his preference was for Vienna Sausage in a can.

Well, I looked at the ingredients of Vienna Sausage the next time I was in the store, and it stated; "Mechanically Separated Chicken , Water , Beef , Pork , Salt , Corn Syrup , Mustard , Spices , Natural Flavorings , Dried Garlic , Sodium Nitrite."

Hmmm, pork shoulder and ham, both from the same specie, or three critters run thru an automobile shredder. Not a hard decision for me...

We don't eat much Spam but I do enjoy a breakfast from my childhood of fried over-medium eggs (we used to call them "dippy" eggs as a kid), fried spam and pork 'n beans with toast once in a while. I know, I know...sounds weird. :)

My hubby was just telling me this morning that he heard somewhere that sales for Spam have greatly increased with the failing economy.

Hmm, chicken fried spam for dinner.......

What bums me is how very few Spam varieties the markets - at least around here - carry. I recently contacted Hormel & asked them if, perhaps, they'd discontinued making our favorite Roast Turkey Spam, because I haven't seen it anywhere for many months now. They promptly replied that it will be returning to store shelves after the first of the year. Hurray!!! :)

That said, while on their website, I noticed that they also produce quite a number of different Spam varieties that I've never seen before; most notably "Garlic Spam" (self explanatory) & "Hot and Spicy Spam" (which has Tabasco sauce cooked right in). Has anyone here tried these?

"How about spam, spam, spam and spam?"

Sorry, I couldn't resist--now where is that sheepish emoticon when you need it.

I get the lower sodium variety sometimes... I saute two slices in butter, melt a Kraft single on top, and put it on some bread with mayonaise... It's good with eggs too...

I do not know if it is a test market thing or not but one of our stores is selling Spam Singles. It is a 3oz single slice, just big enough for a slice of bread. I just bought a couple yesterday.

Our old time favorite was slicing up the whole can then putting mustard and honey between the slices, wrapping in foil and tossing in a camp fire or oven. Warm mustard and spam yum!:chef:

Back
Top Bottom