"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 09-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #51
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
...there is a proper way of cooking it. It should be cut relatively thin so that it gets a crispy, golden brown crust while still being soft and moist in the middle.
Should that be cut with or against the grain?

Old 09-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #52
Master Chef

I julienned some Spam one day, fried it up until it was crispy and used it in a frittata. It tasted delicious, and would be good in a lot of things prepared that way (scalloped potatoes, rice dishes, pizza, salad or baked potato topping, pasta).
I have been buying Spam Lite for several years, so I don't feel so guilty about eating it. It has less fat and sodium, but you won't miss it.

Hmmm...I may have a fried Spam and cheese sandwich with a big slice of tomato on it for supper tonight.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #53
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
I knew a guy in college that would eat two cans worth of Spam with like 3-4 scoops of white rice in one sitting. But this was the same guy that would eat 4 cans of Vienna sausage in one sitting also.

That's nuts. I never get through more than 2-3 slices at a time, too much salty porky-ness. I hit the same wall with Longanisa, I can't power through more than about 2-3 links in a sitting.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #54
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenAmateur View Post
That's nuts. I never get through more than 2-3 slices at a time, too much salty porky-ness. I hit the same wall with Longanisa, I can't power through more than about 2-3 links in a sitting.
I can make a can disappear in 10 minutes flat!
(probably not something to be proud of tho...)
Old 10-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #55
Executive Chef

I wonder if PETA is going to write a letter addressing the entire state of Hawaii

Shane Victorino's abiding love for Spam dish angers PETA - Big League Stew - MLB - Yahoo! Sports
Old 10-15-2008, 04:56 PM   #56
Head Chef

My best Spam story is when I was in middle school, (7th grade) and several of us guys decided to cut school for the day. We ended up hanging in the woods, miserable because we were bored, eating spam that we heated over a wood fire on tree branch sticks....
Old 10-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #57
Executive Chef

IC, I like to see your diversity in ingredients. lol
Old 10-22-2008, 05:41 AM   #58
Head Chef

When I was growing up, my mother would slice Spam about 1/2 inch thick, dip in egg and milk then cracker crumbs, fry till brown. That was the meat for dinner (sometimes). My older sister (rip) and I would eat it sliced, room temperature on white bread with mustard. Oh, we would get in trouble for making a sandwiches out of what was to be the meat for a meal for the whole family.
I will now have to buy some payday and try it with mircle whip and Sweet Relish.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #59
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
My best Spam story is when I was in middle school, (7th grade) and several of us guys decided to cut school for the day. We ended up hanging in the woods, miserable because we were bored, eating spam that we heated over a wood fire on tree branch sticks....
That's funny
Old 10-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #60
Master Chef

my mother served it once to us fried and could not believe we wouldn't eat it.......not fried not in any way, form, or fashion.......still won't ........Dad couldn't believe that we wouldn't eat fried bologna either........

Tags
None