"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 02-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #121
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
it's only unhealthy in context of a person that eats a poor diet most or all of the time.

it's better to think that food is just food, but people can be healthy or unhealthy depending on their actions over time.

Amen.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #122
Assistant Cook

Fried spam with scrambled eggs and white rice, all tossed together kinda like fried rice is good

Old 02-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #123
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakyakash View Post
Fried spam with scrambled eggs and white rice, all tossed together kinda like fried rice is good
Sounds good and welcome to DC. You joined us with a great idea. You will find us to be a little bit squirrely, strange sense of humor at times, caring, compassionate, and just plain fun.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #124
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Many a son of Abraham
has eaten spam
for Uncle Sam
Hinky dinky parlay voo
Somewhere around here I used to have an entire page of haiku poetry about Spam (yeah, a friend living in Hawaii sent it to me).
Old 02-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #125
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oh Claire, I hope you come across it and share! I enjoy Haiku almost as much as I enjoy limericks.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #126
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
As long as we've revived this probably better off dead topic, please tell me, do any DC members actually enjoy Spam?
Spam sushi of sorts. A thin slice of fried spam with plum sauce on rice wrapped in seaweed. It's better than it sounds. Also, spam quiche! We use to eat it in college. Also better than it sounds. Spam with yellow mustard sandwiches....it's just like it sounds but I liked it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakyakash View Post
I'd almost forgotten that! It's awesome, so thanks for the reminder. And welcome to DC!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #127
Sous Chef

Sliced VERY thin and pan-fried, I think it's an acceptable emergency substitute for bacon in a BLT.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #128
Executive Chef

I think I dislike the idea of such a fatty product more than the actual taste of Spam. In fact I might take some camping on my next trip, because it's ideal for that: meat that doesn't need refrigeration. I'm not too fond of canned chicken, turkey or tuna. Spam would probably be good sliced and cooked in a skillet where you would end up with actual meat pieces rather than sort of goulash-y like the other canned stuff. (I once bought a whole canned chicken for camping and it was dreadful!)
Old 02-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #129
Executive Chef

Here's the classic recipe I mentioned earlier in the topic, compiled from several I've found on the Internet and as near as I can remember it's the one I cooked right off the suggested recipe on the can:

Ham-Style Baked Spam

12 oz. can Spam
1 T. whole cloves
1/3 C. brown sugar (packed measure)
1 t. water
1 t. prepared mustard
1/2 t. to 1 t. vinegar

Put Spam on rack in shallow pan or casserole dish. Score the surface diagonally in a cross hatch pattern, then poke the cloves in where the hatches cross.

Mix the remaining ingredients into a paste and smear over the surface of the Spam loaf. Bake in 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until browned.

Serve sliced. Pretend you're eating baked ham.

I hope somebody will cook this and report back.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #130
Head Chef

There's a can of Spam in my hurricane emergency food stash. I'll bet it's pretty darn good if you're hungry enough. Just hope I don't find out any time soon. Also some canned chicken; maybe I'll eat the Spam first.

Tags
None