"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 01-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #21
Sous Chef

We had "spamburgers" as a kid, and is still a great comfort food to me. You grind up a can of spam with an onion, and about 1 1/2" slice of velveeta cheese, add a can of cream of chicken soup, then spread it just a little less than 1/2" thick on somewhat stale hotdog or hamburger buns, then broil until golden brown. They are soooooo good!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #22
Head Chef

Spam is a once-a-year purchase when laying in hurricane supplies. I discovered that they even make 'Spam singles' in a little foil pouch - not bad emergency meat. Ah, yes -- batteries, toilet paper, and Spam.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Spam is real meat, pork to be exact. It is cut up with pork fat, seasoned with too much salt, a little smoke flavoring, and sodium nitrites. It is pressed into a can, sealed, and cooked in the can. It was developed as a way to easily provide meat to soldiers in one of the world wars, I don't remember which. If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a Spam processing plant in Hawaii?

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I keep telling everyone it's meat! And healthy to boot!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #24
Senior Cook

In general, we have a high tolerance for salty foods... but the last time we had spam, it was like eating a spam-flavored salt block. Because the husband loves it, we'll have it again, but this time we'll try the 'low-sodium' version... Hopefully, that version will be be more edible.

I grew up having to eat it straight from the can... ugh... if you don't fry it first, it's not really edible in my humble opinion. ;)
Old 01-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #25
Head Chef

I had friends that used to wax poetic about spam and onion sandwiches. I don't quite remember but i think they said that they grill them.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #26
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kur View Post
In general, we have a high tolerance for salty foods... but the last time we had spam, it was like eating a spam-flavored salt block. Because the husband loves it, we'll have it again, but this time we'll try the 'low-sodium' version... Hopefully, that version will be be more edible.

I grew up having to eat it straight from the can... ugh... if you don't fry it first, it's not really edible in my humble opinion. ;)
Give my sandwich spread a try (a few posts into this thread). Nothing like eating Spam out of the can, but not salty either. I have made pinwheels with it (flour tortilla rolled with filling, then sliced into pinwheels) and no one even realized it was Spam.

I don't like how salty Spam is when it is fried either, but when we were really low on food we had some beans and a can of Spam. I cubed the Spam and fried it, then I added it to the beans toward the end of their cooking, and it was pretty good.

Barbara
Old 01-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #27
Head Chef

When I was in Pakistan Spam brought in from Dubai was a big hit.... I usually had two cans in my bag.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #28
Head Chef

When I was a young, my older sister and I would slice it up room temperature and make sandwiches with mustard. We would get in trouble because that was a planned meat for a meal to feed the family of 7. My mother would slice it, dip in egg then cracker crumbs and fry it. Spam Chops!
Now I will have to scour the cabinets and see if I have any.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Give my sandwich spread a try (a few posts into this thread). Nothing like eating Spam out of the can, but not salty either. I have made pinwheels with it (flour tortilla rolled with filling, then sliced into pinwheels) and no one even realized it was Spam.

Barbara
That reminds me, hubby loves deviled ham on crackers, I bet he would love your spam sandwich spread as well. Kind of a similar concept... I'll have to try it out on him...
Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #30
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kur View Post
That reminds me, hubby loves deviled ham on crackers, I bet he would love your spam sandwich spread as well. Kind of a similar concept... I'll have to try it out on him...
Let me know how he likes it. It is my husband's favorite!

Barbara

Tags
None