Spam - the kind you eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to admit, I never really took to SPAM in all those Hawaii years. But in subsequent years, I would never dream of a Hawaii themed party without SPAM. yes, the musubi (or whatever) was not delicate, it was a hand full of food. A few of them would be lunch for my Hawaiian co-workers.

Another thing that was popular I cannot remember the name for. They were steamed Chinese white buns stuffed with a dyed red pork stuffing, sometimes stamped with Chinese letters on top. We used to get someone to go get a few dozen of them for lunch. I'll remember what they are called at 3 a.m. and come back on to tell you!

LOL Eating with you would be fun, Bolas. =) Even if I refuse to eat meat (byproducts) out of can ... srsly? from a can??!1? ... at least I know I'd be wildly entertained by you and your shenanigans!
:) Ze we have a bit of a dinner party circuit with friends that are all good cooks who are very confident turning out set piece classics, so we decided to spice the menu's up and the conversation with fun.
Spamoschnitzel Cordon Bleu, cut two thin slices of spam sandwich a slice of Swiss cheese and prosciutto between, flour, eeg wash, breadcrumb and fry.
Spamonara sub small cubes of fried spam for the bacon.
Spam Wellington, fry your block of spam crispy let it cool, make a mushroom duxelle, lay you puff pastry flat, put slices of prosciutto in the middle, spread the duxelle on them, put the block of spam on it and wrap with the prosciutto then the puff eggwash and bake.
Subbing spam in dimsum's like Sui Mai War Tip or Char Sui Bao is good to.

I think I will write a book A 1000 and 1 ways with Spam" by Spamson and Delia.

Last edited:
:) Ze we have a bit of a dinner party circuit with friends that are all good cooks who are very confident turning out set piece classics, so we decided to spice the menu's up and the conversation with fun.
Spamoschnitzel Cordon Bleu, cut two thin slices of spam sandwich a slice of Swiss cheese and prosciutto between, flour, eeg wash, breadcrumb and fry.
Spamonara sub small cubes of fried spam for the bacon.
Spam Wellington, fry your block of spam crispy let it cool, make a mushroom duxelle, lay you puff pastry flat, put slices of prosciutto in the middle, spread the duxelle on them, put the block of spam on it and wrap with the prosciutto then the puff eggwash and bake.
Subbing spam in dimsum's like Sui Mai War Tip or Char Sui Bao is good to.

I think I will write a book A 1000 and 1 ways with Spam" by Spamson and Delia.

Absolutely brilliant!:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Sorry, but in my opinion, Spam in the can is as bad as email spam, if not worse! Canned Spam was introduced in Hawaii and the Philippines during WWII by the American military. At that time, it did serve a purpose to help people survive during the war. I know people who grew up on Spam in the 1940s and 1950s who use it on a regular basis -- habits die hard. I remember that my mother bought a can or two of it when I was a kid (early 1950s) and that was it -- even the dog walked away from it! Maybe it has improved by now -- less fat and salt, but I think I'll pass on trying it again. I love the idea of a book on 1000 ways to use Spam-- too funny!!

That's what our Hawaiian friends back home always called it, pronounced moo-soo-bee. I've had many a breakfast of Spam, eggs, and rice (always called "Spam 'n eggs 'n rice") with them. One friend brought it caramelized in brown sugar to a breakfast themed potluck. It was quite tasty! Spam and eggs was a classic for breakfast for the first morning of backpacking trips in my single days. You just didn't want to be the poor schmuck who got stuck packing in the eggs, JIC they didn't quite make it.:LOL: I think my personal favorite though is just fried spam on white bread with miracle whip. One of about 3 things I actually like with white bread.

Yum - :) - I'm the only one here who likes Spam and mircle whip - so it's mine, all mine!:mrgreen:

General T'sp spamo, cube the spam dip in a batter of beaten eggwhite and cornflour, deep fry and drain.
Heat you wok and fry fine slices of onion, garlic,ginger and chili, add soft brown sugar, light soy, black vinegar, chicken stock, reduce till you get coating sauce toss in you spamo.

Spamtte, marinade cubes of spam in honey, soy, Tabasco and crushed garlic, (don't add chili as it will overpower the delicate flavor of the spam) thread onto skewers and grill. I would use the traditional soaked bamboo skewer for authenticity but metal will do.

Sauce, heat a big blob of Crunchy peanut butter in a pan, add crushed garlic, lime juice, soy and chopped coriander leaves.

Spamorizo, mash the spam being careful not to destroy it integral texture, add smoked hot paprika, crushed garlic and a bit of cumin powder. Leave in your fridge for 24 hrs, shape into patties and fry.

Spamolentta de Casa de bolas, cook polenta let it cool a little, add egg yolks, butter, lots of grated parm/reg and a glug of cream, mix then add a lot of fried cubes of spam, pour into a non stick loaf tin and chill for 24 hrs. Slice deep fry, griddle or grill on the bbq, serve with a poached egg on top.:)

Yum - :) - I'm the only one here who likes Spam and mircle whip - so it's mine, all mine!:mrgreen:

I'm with you, I like an occasional spam and Miracle Whip sandwich.

Oh, and ShellyCooks, before Spam made it to Hawaii and the Philippines during WWII by the American military, It went onto the general market in 1937 by Hormel Foods of Iowa. During the early war, it went to Europe long before it ever went to the Pacific. Just a bit of Spam history for you...;)

And I hope that everyone realizes that Spam is NOT leftover bits and pieces of other pork products. It is only braised pork shoulder (Boston Butt), which isn't a bad cut of meat.

Last edited:
I had no idea Spam came in so many varieties now days. I'd love to find some of them in the stores. Check it out.
SPAM > SPAM® Varieties
thank you Kay for the link to the Holy Grail as an avid Spamocolic(no typo) I searched for a UK site as I had never seen such a fragrant range of Spam in the UK,I was excited when I foundOfficial UK SPAM® Website, Products, Recipes and the SPAM® Fan Club but to my sadness and disbelief as you will see the range is incomplete,I have fired off an Email of complaint to their European Ceo, a Dane Dr Hans Knees Spamodaisy, copied to the Court of Human Rights in the Hague.
All my love
Denny Crane xxxx
Ps Kay would you make an old man happy and pretend to be Shirley Schmidt.
PPs I did PM Princess Fi with the same request but her demands were incompatible with mine.:neutral::ohmy::blush:

Last edited:
spam

I'm with you, I like an occasional spam and Miracle Whip sandwich.

Oh, and ShellyCooks, before Spam made it to Hawaii and the Philippines during WWII by the American military, It went onto the general market in 1937 by Hormel Foods of Iowa. During the early war, it went to Europe long before it ever went to the Pacific. Just a bit of Spam history for you...;)

And I hope that everyone realizes that Spam is NOT leftover bits and pieces of other pork products. It is only braised pork shoulder (Boston Butt), which isn't a bad cut of meat.

Spam helped make American soldiers the best fed in history.

While I agree that Spam played a very important role in feeding not only US but also allied troops in WWII, I don't know if it really made them the best fed in history.

Speaking of WWII, my father came to visit today. He's a WWII veteran. He mentioned liking a picture that I had just got (aerial view of my property) and wanting one. I told him I would get one made for him if he gave me back something he had given me, then "borrowed". A framed display type wall hanger of his medals and such. I thought he was hanging onto it because he once told me that he had sent away for a couple ribbons or something that he no longer had. I thought he was adding them to this wall hanger and mentioned it to him.
Anyway... out of the blue he said something about having a "piece of metal" taken out of his finger when he was in the Netherlands. Something he had gotten while on an island off of France. Me being me, asked him if it was a piece of metal from a can of beef :rolleyes: He got a chuckle from that and said something about the guy next to him getting hit in the leg and him in the finger, but he didn't know anything had stuck until later when his finger swelled way up while in the Netherlands. He got a few days of sick leave when it was taken out and was told he would receive a purple heart, which he never got.

Oh, to keep this on topic, had I known Spam was served in WWII that is what I would have said instead of beef. :mrgreen:
And to keep this even more food related, he said the only reason he signed up for the Darby's Rangers was because he heard they got fed better, but that was B... uhh... an acronym for not exactly true :angel:

I was going through my cupboard today and found a can of Spam! I have no idea where it came from. I know I did not buy it. I have no idea how long it has been there either. Guess I better think of something to make with it. Maybe some sweet and sour meatballs. I think that is usually made with ground ham but...well... I guess spam is close.

While I agree that Spam played a very important role in feeding not only US but also allied troops in WWII, I don't know if it really made them the best fed in history.
DSM compared to British Squaddies the GI's were better fed and payed, it in fact did cause friction in area's around camps in the UK that GI's were stationed in.
One of my first memories was a visit to see a friend of my Dads in a base near Warrington in 1955, I don't remember the lunch in the PX but I remember standing in complete disbelief at the array of chocolate in the shop, Dad told me that due to his friend and others kindness they had good food after the war before I was born, I think his friend was a Jewish Doctor who helped my Dad who had his ear drums blown out in the war. I remember the look on my Dads face when he lit up a King Edward cigar as we ate chocolate after dinner at home that night.:)

That's very interesting. I saw the Adam Sandler movie 50 First Dates and when he was leaving he received a box of Spam - didn't get it at the time, but he was in Hawaii - now it makes sense. Everyone here (hub and son) think I'm crazy for liking it. Hub doesn't think its real meat, but son eats vienna sausages and potted meat, so what's in that? :huh:

So will they eat a picnic shoulder? (Smoked shoulders to New Englanders) That is what SPAM is. Packaged and chopped picnic shoulder with natural gelatin juices. :)

Back
Top Bottom